ahsanchachi123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a grade B at GCSE maths. The subjects I have done at A level are English language, religious studies, english literature, History, Urdu and General studies. I achieved one A (urdu), One B (RE), 2 Cs (english lang and lit) and two D's (History and GS). I have carried on english language, literature, RE and urdu to A2.
Will i struggle with the maths for quantity surveying, or is it all basic maths? I really need a quick reply as I need to start applying soon. Thanks for reading and hope somebody can help...
Posted from TSR Mobile
terimccusker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ahsanchachi123 hi i know you posted this ages ago but did you do QS Course and what about the maths?
terimccusker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ahsanchachi123)
I have a grade B at GCSE maths. The subjects I have done at A level are English language, religious studies, english literature, History, Urdu and General studies. I achieved one A (urdu), One B (RE), 2 Cs (english lang and lit) and two D's (History and GS). I have carried on english language, literature, RE and urdu to A2.
Will i struggle with the maths for quantity surveying, or is it all basic maths? I really need a quick reply as I need to start applying soon. Thanks for reading and hope somebody can help...
Posted from TSR Mobile
hi did you do this course and is the maths hard?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am a Chartered Quantity Surveyor myself.

The sort of maths used by Quantity Surveyors is extremely easy. All we are doing is quantitying/measuring construction work and there is only three ways of doing that - lineal meters, square meters, and cubic meters. So if you can work out area and volumes you're goof to go.

Preparing budgets is a bit more complex, as is cost-value reconcilliations but it's not rocket science. You'll also study accounting principles, statistics, logistics, and operational research. The maths gets a bit harder here but frankly not that tough (and you'll never use it in your career anyway) You're also likely to study structural design at some point as well as materials science and building services engineering. But you are not training to be a building services engineer or a structural engineer so it's not that in depth.

So, shouldn't be much of a problem.
Magroy Mathew
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Howard

I no its been three years since you wrote you above post but I wandered if you could help
I'm looking at becoming a quantity surveyor, I studied economics at uni many moons ago and I'm a bit worried about the general construction side of knowledge as so far I have none, I'm looking at doing my masters this October with distance learning, is it better to start at a construction film and look to see if they can sponsor my course or will they only really take on graduates in that specific field, all I've just turned 30 so for family reason I havnt been able to persue my career down that path till now, do you think my age would be a negative factor in any retrospective employees?

Thanks mat
Mel_Y
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Mat.
Like Howard I am also a Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS). From reading your post, you could go either way, there is a shortage of quantity surveyors at the moment so firms would be receptive to applications. If your going for a masters, ensure it is designed for conversion, so everybody starts with no construction knowledge. Where are you thinking of studying?
ekul4d
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I am starting a QS conversion course at UWE in Bristol in September. Could anybody advise me on what they think would be the best approach to securing some relevant work experience before the course starts.

I will be studying one day per week in Uni for three years so I would like the spend the rest of the working week in the industry but I'm not sure how to approach the firms in Bristol as I have no experience.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Luke
Loraine E
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Can anyone give me any tips I start a job as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor on Monday 9th of Jan 2017. They are putting me through University 1 day a week day release and also on the job training. Any advice on how hard the course is going to be Lorraine
AMG44
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Loraine E)
Hi Can anyone give me any tips I start a job as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor on Monday 9th of Jan 2017. They are putting me through University 1 day a week day release and also on the job training. Any advice on how hard the course is going to be Lorraine
Which company are you working with? You can pm me if you like.

You will be at a huge advantage that the people you work with will be able to provide their expertise and guidance.

On the other hand you are working a full time job so time management is critical.

From my experience being a full time student, my final University grade was higher than those that were part time who had more or a similar knowledge but I could commit more time to my studies.

Part time is over a 5 year period, the forth and fifth year will be difficult, due to time constraints.

My personal opinion would be put as much effort as possibly into the early years as it's the foundations for success.

Just learn as much as you can and put academia into practice and question academia over real life application.
jane matthews
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AMG44)
Which company are you working with? You can pm me if you like.

You will be at a huge advantage that the people you work with will be able to provide their expertise and guidance.

On the other hand you are working a full time job so time management is critical.

From my experience being a full time student, my final University grade was higher than those that were part time who had more or a similar knowledge but I could commit more time to my studies.

Part time is over a 5 year period, the forth and fifth year will be difficult, due to time constraints.

My personal opinion would be put as much effort as possibly into the early years as it's the foundations for success.

Just learn as much as you can and put academia into practice and question academia over real life application.
Hey are u a QS? Could you help me please im looking at going to Uni if I do a construction project management degree that is RICS accredited would that be ok to become a QS like get on a graduate scheme and complete APC
AMG44
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jane matthews)
Hey are u a QS? Could you help me please im looking at going to Uni if I do a construction project management degree that is RICS accredited would that be ok to become a QS like get on a graduate scheme and complete APC
I'm a construction manager.

If you want to be a QS why wouldn't you do a degree in quantity surveying?

My understanding is there are courses that are accredited by different professional bodies. For instance the CIOB, and RICS all credit the construction project management degree at the University of Salford.

Where as their construction management course is only accredited by the RICS.

LJMU's construction management course is accredited by the CIOB.

If you want to be RICS accredited pick a RICS accredited course and that will suffice to do the APC.
jane matthews
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AMG44)
I'm a construction manager.

If you want to be a QS why wouldn't you do a degree in quantity surveying?

My understanding is there are courses that are accredited by different professional bodies. For instance the CIOB, and RICS all credit the construction project management degree at the University of Salford.

Where as their construction management course is only accredited by the RICS.

LJMU's construction management course is accredited by the CIOB.

If you want to be RICS accredited pick a RICS accredited course and that will suffice to do the APC.
Ok cheers its just both the Construction Project Management Degree and the Quantity Surveying were both RICS accredited but the UCL only offers Construction Project management (RICS accredited also) so I was wondering if it would make any difference which one I chose as long as it's RICS accredited
clarkey98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mel_Y)
Hi Mat.
Like Howard I am also a Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS). From reading your post, you could go either way, there is a shortage of quantity surveyors at the moment so firms would be receptive to applications. If your going for a masters, ensure it is designed for conversion, so everybody starts with no construction knowledge. Where are you thinking of studying?
Hi Mel,

I start my accelerated QS course at Salford this September, I appreciate it has been some time since you responded on this forum. I hoping to complete my masters in year 3 - possibly looking at renewable or sustainable resource, first choice, or mechanical and electrical for my second choice (which leads into nuclear engineering). can you offer any advice on the best way forward?

Thanks in advance

Clarkey (mature student)
LisaZondani
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey .Do you need physical science for quantity surveying ?
clarkey98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LisaZondani)
Hey .Do you need physical science for quantity surveying ?

Hey,

nothing major, and nothing you don't get plenty of time to learn. Im in week 9 of my accelerated degree. SO far so good. Law, Tech and QS private and Commercial Practice. All introductory level stuff.

The QS lectures are on measurement, but trust me, basic basic stuff. We are learning about taking off from plan drawings. If you need help on what books to buy let me know.

When are you hoping to start?

Clarkey
Mel_Y
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by clarkey98)
Hi Mel,

I start my accelerated QS course at Salford this September, I appreciate it has been some time since you responded on this forum. I hoping to complete my masters in year 3 - possibly looking at renewable or sustainable resource, first choice, or mechanical and electrical for my second choice (which leads into nuclear engineering). can you offer any advice on the best way forward?

Thanks in advance

Clarkey (mature student)
Hello Clarkey,
Sorry missed this completely but you have started at a good university on the QS degree so all is good so far. In terms of masters and beyond you would struggle to move to engineering at masters because of the analytical content. However M&E QSs earn well and maybe a services based masters degree such as that at Brunel might be an option but you would need a strong a-level in maths. Otherwise sustainability is good. Salford has a couple of sustainability experts in the built environment so well worth chatting to them. There is a QS there who writes papers on sustainability. Can’t remember their name though.
Mel
clarkey98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mel_Y)
Hello Clarkey,
Sorry missed this completely but you have started at a good university on the QS degree so all is good so far. In terms of masters and beyond you would struggle to move to engineering at masters because of the analytical content. However M&E QSs earn well and maybe a services based masters degree such as that at Brunel might be an option but you would need a strong a-level in maths. Otherwise sustainability is good. Salford has a couple of sustainability experts in the built environment so well worth chatting to them. There is a QS there who writes papers on sustainability. Can’t remember their name though.
Mel
Hi Mel,

Great info honestly. I am looking at the QS M&E if im honest, and SalfordUni do this. Sustainability is the buzz word and at BSc level everyone has the underpinning knowledge. I just want to be more attractive on paper to possible employers by having a solid understanding in that field. I may consider sustainability, ive even looked at dispute resolution. Its not really the Dollar im after, im trying to securer work abroad in the ME if im honest. Really appreciate your help and advice.

Happy New New Year

Daz
Porter99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by clarkey98)
Hi Mel,

Great info honestly. I am looking at the QS M&E if im honest, and SalfordUni do this. Sustainability is the buzz word and at BSc level everyone has the underpinning knowledge. I just want to be more attractive on paper to possible employers by having a solid understanding in that field. I may consider sustainability, ive even looked at dispute resolution. Its not really the Dollar im after, im trying to securer work abroad in the ME if im honest. Really appreciate your help and advice.

Happy New New Year

Daz
Hi Daz,

Is this really difficult. I'm starting on the 30th Jan for the accelerated QS degree.. any tips I'm really nervous I won't be able to do it! I work as a Trainee QS but nothing to do with buildings and construction, I work for an electrical company.
QSharas
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I studied at the University College of Estate Management and took a Diploma in Surveying Practice via distance learning. This is a RICS accredited course and now I am looking at a further 2 years doing my BSc to become a QS.
Kyle84
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Guys. I’m looking at a total career change, moving from financial services to construction. I have a business degree and various financial planning diplomas. I work full time, looking for advice at getting into QS / construction management. I need to look for a company/ role who take people with no qualification / experience , I am willing to learn and study part time and complete the post grad conversion course. Any idea if there are companies that provide these opportunities and study support? Also, any recommendation of where a good place to study the conversion course part time. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (96)
61.94%
No (59)
38.06%

Watched Threads