Turn on thread page Beta

What are you going to do after uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    So not in ten years from now, but 1 or 2 or 3 or x number of years - straight after you graduate what are you going to do? Where are you going to live?

A lot of ppl move back home with parents, but would you be able to do that after 3 years of independence? Will you wait to get a job that wants a degree or will you have to start working straight away in whatever you can in order to pay rent? Or will you go travelling?
    Questions!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    So not in ten years from now, but 1 or 2 or 3 or x number of years - straight after you graduate what are you going to do? Where are you going to live?

A lot of ppl move back home with parents, but would you be able to do that after 3 years of independence? Will you wait to get a job that wants a degree or will you have to start working straight away in whatever you can in order to pay rent? Or will you go travelling?
    Questions!!
    Ideally I want to work for a year doing any bits of work, I may travel of across the country a bit. I will idealy work freelancing then a year later go to and a masters with the money I have saved or another professional qualifcation such Cisco. (I'll be one of the few people in the country that can actually control the way the internet works).

Either way I don't want a full time job when I graduate but if I get one offered or mamange to get one I will just do that.

I will be 22 when I graduate so time is not on my time, I will be 23 next year (august 2005).

ReputationRep:
    Unless I get a job offer straight from uni, Ill probably move back home and slack off for a while (maybe go travelling if I have the cash).

Questions!!
    I would definetly be able to move back home. It's not really like 3 years of independance. We spend 5 months of the year at home whilst at uni anyway. I also look forward to going home so that I dont have to do my own washing or cooking anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Unless I get a job offer straight from uni, Ill probably move back home and slack off for a while (maybe go travelling if I have the cash).

I would definetly be able to move back home. It's not really like 3 years of independance. We spend 5 months of the year at home whilst at uni anyway. I also look forward to going home so that I dont have to do my own washing or cooking anymore
    I might go on the dole until me student debt gets annulled! heehe

No really, i might go try find work in Germany, (my degree is half german) but the job market there is pretty bad at the mo

ReputationRep:

Questions!!
    My parents told me that they'll help me buy my own house; I'd be a landlord and rent out the other rooms.

I intend to get a high-flying job as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna try and work till i get a PhD

ReputationRep:
    Do a PhD.. possibly at home.

ReputationRep:
    Look for a job in the City, kerching!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I am cut out for a PHd, ok it would be nice to be called Doctor and I will have a job at the end of it but spending 3-5 years on solid research is just too much.

Eventualy once I have some experience I want to become a consultant, it dosn't matter than I am not at LSE or Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    The week after having graduated in 2005 I want to commence employment in London. The ideal way for this to happen is to gain a summer internship this July/August (currently pending), to perform well in this and be told at the end that there's a job waiting for you once you graduate.

ReputationRep:

Questions!!

I think after my degree i'm going to do a PGCE so that i have something to fall back into, but before i start working i think i'd like to do some travelling to make up for the gap year i'm not going to have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I think after my degree i'm going to do a PGCE so that i have something to fall back into, but before i start working i think i'd like to do some travelling to make up for the gap year i'm not going to have
    lol - gap years are sooo overrated I am going to do a masters in law (LLM) and then decide on either becoming a barrister at the bar or a solicitor for a firm

ReputationRep:
    well after doing a degree in genetics and a D.Phil, I'm off to uni again to do another undergrad degree :|

ReputationRep:
    FLUFFY!!!!!! Not in medicine by any chance?

I have few plans (other than to work as a Dr), preferably on the Notts area. I'm certainly not returning home. I;d like to work abroad for a year or so (New Zealand/Oz), but other than that, onlytime will tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    FLUFFY!!!!!! Not in medicine by any chance?
    Might be Why, who's after me? Not the 'Guin Secret Agency again

I can't think of anything worse than settling back in the same town as my folks. I love em to death but Cheltenham is sooooo dull! Happy with London at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Might be Why, who's after me? Not the 'Guin Secret Agency again
    Someone has to keep an eye on this addiction of yours

ReputationRep:

Questions!!
    try and get a job in mc ds if they will have me thats why people go uni init

ReputationRep:

Questions!!
    My plan is to get my geography degree from a "top uni", then do a PGCE to become a secondary teacher in a decent school. I haven't got a clue where i'll live. Probably at home.

ReputationRep:
    Either a postgradute degree in something Literature-related, or in journalism. And in London, baby! x

ReputationRep:
    I want to have a grade + a quailifcation in Criminology or Forensics

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.