Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi just wondering who else is doing GCSE astronomy this year? I've just started, and we're planning our coursework i've chosen Shadow Stick (unaided) and Constellation photographs (aided), what are you doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing it too, I'm doing constellation drwaings for my unaided, and sundial for my aided.
    I'm working on my unaided at the moment! I have one lesson a week but its at lunch so we dont get much done ....

ReputationRep:
    That's great! Keep me updated on your progress, i'm finding Astronomy really interesting I also manages to do my shadow stick during my half term, lovely feeling knowing that it's off my chest until feb!

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry, wow, one lunchtime a week? That's harsh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieGCSEs)
    That's great! Keep me updated on your progress, i'm finding Astronomy really interesting I also manages to do my shadow stick during my half term, lovely feeling knowing that it's off my chest until feb!

Yeah it's pretty challenging at the moment but i'll cope! I'm just learning whatever i can during my spare time, reading about galaxies at the mo since that's my favourite topic and stars are just so boring! what are you looking at, at the moment? haha i'm still doing my constellation thing but cba at all! -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmon-aiman)
    Yeah it's pretty challenging at the moment but i'll cope! I'm just learning whatever i can during my spare time, reading about galaxies at the mo since that's my favourite topic and stars are just so boring! what are you looking at, at the moment? haha i'm still doing my constellation thing but cba at all! -_-
    Well at the moment we're spending time doing our design phase of the coursework, but most of us are finished now. Our teacher just tends to look in the textbook we have and pick something relevant to talk to us about It's quite relaxed even considering the little time we have, but it seems to work so in summary, we're doing a lot of random stuff... Have you got the textbook by Neil someone?

ReputationRep:
    Well at the moment we're spending time doing our design phase of the coursework, but most of us are finished now. Our teacher just tends to look in the textbook we have and pick something relevant to talk to us about It's quite relaxed even considering the little time we have, but it seems to work so in summary, we're doing a lot of random stuff... Have you got the textbook by Neil someone?
    ahh right, yeah i have no clue what i'm doing hahahaah:')
    Yeah our teacher just picks something to talk about but i just revise at home mainly... yeah i photocopied the school's copy of the nigel* marshall thingy seeing as i cba buying the real thing ;D

ReputationRep:
    ahh right, yeah i have no clue what i'm doing hahahaah:')
    Yeah our teacher just picks something to talk about but i just revise at home mainly... yeah i photocopied the school's copy of the nigel* marshall thingy seeing as i cba buying the real thing ;D
    ahaha yeah Nigel... damnit i was close Good idea to photocopy it! Oh well, hopefully Nigel's book will get us through the exam! :P

ReputationRep:
    I did this GCSE last year!

I really enjoyed it, and if I have time, I don't mind answering any questions you might have about the course!

Compared to the Alevels I'm doing atm, Astronomy GCSE is great fun. Especially as I'm looking at a career in the subject.

I self-taught myself the subject over 6 months along with a good friend of mine, we both got As!

For the coursework I did the Lunar Features for Aided and Constellation Drawings for Unaided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boumavilla)
    I did this GCSE last year!

I really enjoyed it, and if I have time, I don't mind answering any questions you might have about the course!

Compared to the Alevels I'm doing atm, Astronomy GCSE is great fun. Especially as I'm looking at a career in the subject.

I self-taught myself the subject over 6 months along with a good friend of mine, we both got As!

For the coursework I did the Lunar Features for Aided and Constellation Drawings for Unaided.
    Fantastic! Sounds like it suited you well what A levels are you doing atm? Not only do i agree that it's great fun, i've recently learnt that there is a lot of Astrophysics in A2 physics (which is one of my A levels ) Do you plan to study Astronomoy/Astrophysics at university?
    Thanks for posting!

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic! Sounds like it suited you well what A levels are you doing atm? Not only do i agree that it's great fun, i've recently learnt that there is a lot of Astrophysics in A2 physics (which is one of my A levels ) Do you plan to study Astronomoy/Astrophysics at university?
    Thanks for posting!

I'm doing Physics , Maths , French and Spanish ...and General Studies :grumble:

There is Astrophysics in A2 :yes:, although it's an added module. Basically, there's the required modules that you must do, then there's others that you can do, however you might only get to study them in your free time or occasionally with your teacher. Your achieved grade is then added to the percentage of your overall grade!

I do indeed plan to study an "Astro" subject at uni, not sure where though...some of my options are Cardiff, Durham, Aberystwth, Bristol or Holland.

How about you? Would you like to further you studies in the field?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Physics , Maths , French and Spanish ...and General Studies :grumble:

There is Astrophysics in A2 :yes:, although it's an added module. Basically, there's the required modules that you must do, then there's others that you can do, however you might only get to study them in your free time or occasionally with your teacher. Your achieved grade is then added to the percentage of your overall grade!

I do indeed plan to study an "Astro" subject at uni, not sure where though...some of my options are Cardiff, Durham, Aberystwth, Bristol or Holland.

How about you? Would you like to further you studies in the field?
    I would like to study an Astro subject too, but maybe not 'major' in it, because (and i'll be honest here ) i'm not sure there's a lot of money in it. I was thinking electronic engineering, which i'm equally interested in, but i think a degree in it would give me better job prospects

How are the offers going? Do you mind me asking what your predicted grades are?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to study an Astro subject too, but maybe not 'major' in it, because (and i'll be honest here ) i'm not sure there's a lot of money in it. I was thinking electronic engineering, which i'm equally interested in, but i think a degree in it would give me better job prospects

How are the offers going? Do you mind me asking what your predicted grades are?

There's money in the subject, BUT the jobs are extrememly hard to get :erm:
    I think I'll give it a crack, but if I fail then I'll fall down into teaching.

Engineering is certainly an interesting and successful route to go down :yep: Pursue it, I'm sure it'll be worth all of your hard work in the end. A-levels will suck your soul in terms of the amount of effort you need to do well.

I haven't applied for universities yet, I'll be doing that in October time.
    So atm, I haven't got predicted grades. I'm still working and hoping for As at AS level, but currently I have no idea. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    There's money in the subject, BUT the jobs are extrememly hard to get :erm:
    I think I'll give it a crack, but if I fail then I'll fall down into teaching.

Engineering is certainly an interesting and successful route to go down :yep: Pursue it, I'm sure it'll be worth all of your hard work in the end. A-levels will suck your soul in terms of the amount of effort you need to do well.

I haven't applied for universities yet, I'll be doing that in October time.
    So atm, I haven't got predicted grades. I'm still working and hoping for As at AS level, but currently I have no idea. :dontknow:
    It's good that you have a 'backup' plan, by all means aim as high as possible though!

Ohh i didn't realise you were in year 12 like me i'm doing Astronomy GCSE as an 'extra enrichment' this year.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you have a 'backup' plan, by all means aim as high as possible though!

Ohh i didn't realise you were in year 12 like me i'm doing Astronomy GCSE as an 'extra enrichment' this year.

Ohhhh I see :yep:

Your username said otherwise, but I guess you can't really change it now :mmm:
    I do teaching as enrichment

So what A-levels do you do? I'm guessing Physics, Maths, Chemistry (and possibly Further Maths?)

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh I see :yep:

Your username said otherwise, but I guess you can't really change it now :mmm:
    I do teaching as enrichment

So what A-levels do you do? I'm guessing Physics, Maths, Chemistry (and possibly Further Maths?)
    Haha yeah..should've thought about that before i used GCSEs in my name...

I'm doing Maths Furthermaths Physics and Computing so you were close

ReputationRep:
    Ok im really stuck with my sundial coursework *cry*

ReputationRep:
    I did it a few years ago, distance learning with StarLearner. The coursework I chose was drawing a map of the moon and a few observations, the others ones like the sundial looked a bit complicated for me, moon drawing's nice and simple. The moon one is great for learning about the moon. If you're doing it properly, you'll be drawing zillions of craters, and on A2 paper at that.

I had to travel a few hours via 2 trains and stay overnight in a B&B for the exam, think I only got a few hours sleep. All I did to prepare was print off what I didn't know from the e-textbook, read them on the train and before I went to sleep, and while I was walking to the school (didn't even know where the school was either), but that's how I revise. Exam's a lot easier than you'd think though (if it's still the same). You spend time revising the equations then you just get one question on it. I got an A, I wonder if I would've got an A* if I hadn't tapped out on doing the moon and ended up just doing the major features for the bottom 1/8th of it.

Another thing I learned is what a crock secondary school is. GCSEs only take a week or a couple of weeks to do, and these sadists stretch it over 2 years.

As for the future, I plan on doing A Levels. Was waiting to get a job (permanent anyway) to help pay for it, but that's not the world we live in, and I only just found out you don't even need to join a college or company to do A Levels, so I'll probably just do them myself and take the exam. Then I'll go to uni doing astrophysics or whatever it will be, up to PhD. After that, who knows, considering the variety of careers an astrophysics PhD can get you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    I did it a few years ago, distance learning with StarLearner. The coursework I chose was drawing a map of the moon and a few observations, the others ones like the sundial looked a bit complicated for me, moon drawing's nice and simple. The moon one is great for learning about the moon. If you're doing it properly, you'll be drawing zillions of craters, and on A2 paper at that.

I had to travel a few hours via 2 trains and stay overnight in a B&B for the exam, think I only got a few hours sleep. All I did to prepare was print off what I didn't know from the e-textbook, read them on the train and before I went to sleep, and while I was walking to the school (didn't even know where the school was either), but that's how I revise. Exam's a lot easier than you'd think though (if it's still the same). You spend time revising the equations then you just get one question on it. I got an A, I wonder if I would've got an A* if I hadn't tapped out on doing the moon and ended up just doing the major features for the bottom 1/8th of it.

Another thing I learned is what a crock secondary school is. GCSEs only take a week or a couple of weeks to do, and these sadists stretch it over 2 years.

As for the future, I plan on doing A Levels. Was waiting to get a job (permanent anyway) to help pay for it, but that's not the world we live in, and I only just found out you don't even need to join a college or company to do A Levels, so I'll probably just do them myself and take the exam. Then I'll go to uni doing astrophysics or whatever it will be, up to PhD. After that, who knows, considering the variety of careers an astrophysics PhD can get you in.
    Well done on your A! Yeah, the exam past papers look alright, it's just basically about learning the textbook and they give you the equations anyway to use, so no point learning them I think everyone struggles on the coursework as most people do astronomy independently for the most part, so we're not really sure what we're supposed to do. I did the constellations drawing task for my unaided, and am doing my sundial task at the moment.... what year were you in when you did the gcse? good luck with your studies then!

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your A! Yeah, the exam past papers look alright, it's just basically about learning the textbook and they give you the equations anyway to use, so no point learning them I think everyone struggles on the coursework as most people do astronomy independently for the most part, so we're not really sure what we're supposed to do. I did the constellations drawing task for my unaided, and am doing my sundial task at the moment.... what year were you in when you did the gcse? good luck with your studies then!
    I didn't struggle with my coursework, it's that I did it all just before the deadline. I didn't realise drawing the moon would take so long. If I had done a section every two weeks, it would've been fine.

I did it 2008 - 2009.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.