Accommodation Watch

This discussion is closed.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Who has sent off their forms?

I know that any time before, I think june, I will be considered in the first round - but I REALLY want my first choice accomm. so i'm filling it out now.

Am stuck when it comes to saying what are my interests !! Keep thinking - yeah i like that, but do i want to live on a floor of people who like that too ! (ie. I don't want to listen to other peoples music, just my own!)
gunner123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how comz u got ur form now? did u get an unconditional?
fionah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by gunner123)
how comz u got ur form now? did u get an unconditional?
Nope, they send out the forms with the accommodation brochure thingy that you get when they make the offer.
tommyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Am stuck when it comes to saying what are my interests !! Keep thinking - yeah i like that, but do i want to live on a floor of people who like that too ! (ie. I don't want to listen to other peoples music, just my own!)
Don't worry. I don't think they'll really give that much consideration to your interests. Depending on which huni you're applying to (..?) they'll have thousands of accommodation applications, which means that they can't really coordinate tem that well (apat from maybe the more obvious determinants, such as gender and smoking/non-smoking, and maybe nationality). They will probably find it difficult enough to take even the more basic factors into account.
Music can become a bit of a problem in halls, but that is party and parcel of communal living (yes, it does take a bit to get used to this for most people). Normally, however, this should not be too big an issue, and if it does become one, do go and complain (allowing for reasonably high noise levels during the day and evenings to about midnight, I'd say.)
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i didnt know you had to put your interests down? is that common for university accomodation applications??

hmmph, gotta find some things i like to do...
Marie55
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, I had to put my interests down, smoking/non-smoking, gender, what time I usually go to bed/get up and stuff like that. I got mine in early but apparently they don't start processing them till june anywayz. It'll be good to hear where I'm gonna be staying next year. :-)
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Marie55)
Yeah, I had to put my interests down, smoking/non-smoking, gender, what time I usually go to bed/get up and stuff like that. I got mine in early but apparently they don't start processing them till june anywayz. It'll be good to hear where I'm gonna be staying next year. :-)
And you don't get that information until you return your AS12 confirming that after meeting the conditions following the results, that you accept that this is where you are going.

Then they start to deal with the stuff like contracts which are great fun to get your parents to trawl through checking for any hidden charges that you didn't know about, but should now expect.

I for one am glad that I won't have to go to University House in September to queue to pick up my keys and stuff, although the queue is a good time to meet people, it's the most annoying situation, as in the first couple of days you queue for absolutely everything.

Medical registration, medical check up, registration (including financial arrangements), accomodation, timetables, introduction to tutors, and all the events that go off in the first few days.

At least after registration, you get the most important piece of kit you'll ever come across; and thats your Union Card, a major reward for the wait !

This time it'll be, a quick shift of my gear into a house, that we will already have most of my stuff in, and have the keys for, pay my fees again, pick up timetable, and be straight into teaching again the following Monday morning I expect !
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Nope, they send out the forms with the accommodation brochure thingy that you get when they make the offer.
Why on earth do they do that, when you might not make the grades?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
Why on earth do they do that, when you might not make the grades?
So they at least have the indication of where people would be.

Bear in mind that once the results come out, there is only 5 weeks until the start of intro week, and to start sending out accomodation brochures to confirmed people then would be pushing it a little.

Sending out the paper work early, to those who have either chosen as firm or insurance, at least starts the process, and gives time to sort things out remotely.

Once results are out, you are allocated your accomodation if you made it to the Uni in question.
gunner123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i accepted a uni as my firm, i aint heard nefn 4rm them! ?!?!?!?!?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They'll be in touch...
Marie55
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As you can imagine, the first day when everybody arrives at the halls is chaotic. I had some experience of that cos I was with my brother when he arrived at halls in York. And as Expression mentioned, lots of queuing!
Exciting to meet everybody though. I guess it'll feel like home fairly quickly. What were the experiences of ppl who are students now? Was it easy to settle down?
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nah, neither have i!

all i've had is a *****y little thing about where to take your family and friends when they visit you - they're being optimistic for me i guess!

TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
And you don't get that information until you return your AS12 confirming that after meeting the conditions following the results, that you accept that this is where you are going.

Then they start to deal with the stuff like contracts which are great fun to get your parents to trawl through checking for any hidden charges that you didn't know about, but should now expect.

I for one am glad that I won't have to go to University House in September to queue to pick up my keys and stuff, although the queue is a good time to meet people, it's the most annoying situation, as in the first couple of days you queue for absolutely everything.

Medical registration, medical check up, registration (including financial arrangements), accomodation, timetables, introduction to tutors, and all the events that go off in the first few days.

At least after registration, you get the most important piece of kit you'll ever come across; and thats your Union Card, a major reward for the wait !

This time it'll be, a quick shift of my gear into a house, that we will already have most of my stuff in, and have the keys for, pay my fees again, pick up timetable, and be straight into teaching again the following Monday morning I expect !
Well I like queuing. Thats what us Brits are made for. Just noticed you're from Sheff by the way. So am I. Not sure what my point is but I found it exciting...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (182)
91.92%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (16)
8.08%

Watched Threads