The Student Room Group

Major Help with Romeo + Juilet CW

Im having a little trouble starting off my R + J Coursework. could anyone give me any hints or tips as to how to start this piece of work off?

Essay title:

Is lord Capulet a good father? look specifically at act 1 and act 3, scene 5. Refer particulary to use of language.

any ideas would be a great help. i always have trouble starting something, but once iv'e started i cant stop. :smile:
MrV
Im having a little trouble starting off my R + J Coursework. could anyone give me any hints or tips as to how to start this piece of work off?

Essay title:

Is lord Capulet a good father? look specifically at act 1 and act 3, scene 5. Refer particulary to use of language.

any ideas would be a great help. i always have trouble starting something, but once iv'e started i cant stop. :smile:

You could write a short summary of his fathering without giving any opinions until the next paragraphs.
Reply 2
say yes and no, but more no. doesn't he throw her across the room when she refuses to marry Paris?

say he is good becoz he sort of wants the best 4 her (eg. married well to sum1 rich - altho thts prob more in his own interests than hers)
Reply 3
include his relationship with lady capulet and how this affects his decisions regarding juliet's marriage. and this should be academic subforum.
Reply 4
MrV
OP
K, thanks guys for the help, Much appreciated. :cool:
I remeber a bit nort much hope it helps
for good
-doesnt fight
-lets young lads (of montague) into the party

For bad
-calls juiliet usless baggage meaning that coz she doent want to marry paris she's stupid.
-not letting juliet make her choice

i'll think of more and post em 4 ya :smile:

dave
Reply 6
You need to look at this in the context that the play was written in - that is to say, the late 1500's. In this respect, a father's responsibilty was to make the best for his daughter (as women could not be heirs so, they were a responsibility of their father and then of their husband). In this respect, Lord capulet is being a good father because he wants to make a good match for his daughter (and his family). Modern audiences may be prone to blame Paris for not courting Juliet directly, but he is behaving in a much more proper fashion than Romeo. Private courting between young people was officially disapproved of. Marriages were supposed to be negotiated by parents.

Women, in return were supposed to be obedient and dutiful to the men who would provide for them. Juliet, of course, is young and impetuous and, therefore, doesn't look at the match objectively. Is this because she is a bad daughter and 'ungrateful', or is it simply because she loves another?

Capulet does love his daughter, this is clear from his language early in the play. She is his only child and he is a doting father but he also commands respect from those around him. His other children have died so he feels even more responsibility to provide well for her. He is ageing and this contributes to his urgency and short temper. Paris seems to view marriage, as her father does, as a form of medical treatment for Juliet's sorrow (after Romeo is exiled). This hastens the intent for marriage to Paris. They think she is too young to know what's good for her.

Hope this helps a little.

Latest

Trending

Trending