pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have a few questions on The Great Gatsby I am struggling with.
  1. What is the significance of automobiles in The Great Gatsby, and how do they show decadence? Was it reserved to the top of society?
  2. Did the disregard for safety and human life fall under the upper class citizens thinking that the same rules applied to them because they had more money than other people?
  3. How did Tom Buchanan's past show materialism?
  4. Where can I find revision notes?
Thank you!
May the force be with you, Jedis.
PatrickB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pierreboobvier)
  1. What is the significance of automobiles in The Great Gatsby, and how do they show decadence? Was it reserved to the top of society?
  2. Did the disregard for safety and human life fall under the upper class citizens thinking that the same rules applied to them because they had more money than other people?
Thank you!
I haven't done Gatsby in a while but 1.) Automobiles not as commonplace then, were a status symbol and an indicator of wealth and success. 2.) They might have seen themselves as invincible if they were born into money and born into a protected and secure environment. They don't have the same instinct for safety as others because they've only ever existed in bliss and not danger. 3.) I've forgotten, sorry! 4.) Look in your library or English Dept. for something like York Notes on The Great Gatsby because they're good. Also a book of critical essays helped me on the interpretations of other critics to make your writing stronger.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
L1000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you!
1. Automobiles are a symbol of status, shown by Gatsby and Tom's cars. Only the rich were able to afford cars. This contrasts with Wilson, how he does not own a car, he is only an owner of a garage. Cars also show conspicuous consumption. Automobiles are also significant because they are the device that killed Myrtle. - Daisy was driving

2. Upper class citizens were just very careless and selfish. They lived in their own bubble where they ignored the rules, misconduct was not a big deal to them. This is shown by Gatsby's parties - the lack of worry when the car gets crashed. The short sympathy of Myrtle's death, people forgot quickly because of her low status.

3. Tom's past shows materialism by the big house he lives in, his horses, his clothes and his arrogant manner. Materialism is shown when Tom buys numerous things for Myrtle, eg. diamond dog collar, dog, perfume etc. He uses his money to control Myrtle.

4. I used spark notes and york notes. But apart from that, I recommend listing all the useful quotes and learning them for each theme. And getting the audio book!

Hope this has helped!
rocket0612
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
[*]What is the significance of automobiles in The Great Gatsby, and how do they show decadence? Was it reserved to the top of society?
The significance of the automobile is because the novel was written at a time when America was experiencing a cultural and lifestyle revolution. It was a time of tremendous boom economically with the wealthy getting wealthier and we see a birth of a new wealth who sought to make their fortunes. This wealth was spent on expensive acquisitions such as the automobile which became a symbol of glamour and wealth.

Did the disregard for safety and human life fall under the upper class citizens thinking that the same rules applied to them because they had more money than other people?
I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement.

How did Tom Buchanan's past show materialism?
In addition to what has already been said, I'd also examine how he treats women as a material good.

Where can I find revision notes?
I'd really recommend this, my local library had it and I thought it was much better than york notes.
KayleighG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you find out about the context in which the book was written i.e about Ford, The American Dream, Materialism, Social status at the time it will really help you. I got an A for my Great Gatsby piece in AS and I just researched the social context.
Lauren12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://scoopsheets.com/literature/gr...by-scoopsheet/ This is a great summary of the novel!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (341)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.69%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.62%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads