The Student Room Group

How dangerous is motorcycling?

Scroll to see replies

That wasn't my intention.

What I'm trying to get across is that it only takes one accident to ruin or even take your life, and it's a lot better to realize and fully understand that without having to learn the hard way. Wearing an expensive leather suit and a £500 helmet isn't going to save you from life-changing injury or death if you hit something at speed. At best it will lessen the severity of the injury by a comparatively small yet significant amount.

I can't believe some of the **** I used to do every day! In hindsight, it's obvious what was going to happen. And I wasn't even a lunatic by any stretch of the imagination, I just learned bike control skills far more quickly than I learned good judgment. And had the dangerous belief that everyone crashes, but it's not usually a big deal.

But, on the subject of gear, don't get lax with trousers and boots. It's the lower body that takes the brunt of the damage in most crashes, even if it's not typically the part that will kill you if you get injured there. I'm pretty sure I would have crushed both my feet and have had one of my legs amputated if I wasn't wearing such good boots.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
What boots were they? Most of the ones I've looked at were like silly little wellys that offered token protection.
Alpinestars SMX-4.

I have some waterproof touring-style boots from Hein Gericke aswell, which serve their purpose of keeping your feet warm and dry brilliantly, and are much more comfortable to wear off the bike, but I have no doubt I would have destroyed my feet if I had been wearing them in that particular accident. Then again, if I had been wearing my commuting gear I wouldn't have been tear arsing around trying to get my knee down in October and wouldn't have crashed in the first place. Swings and roundabouts!

The Alpinestars took minimal damage on one foot - a dent in the toe region which is more like a line than anything else, they're not deformed. And I assume as I dislocated my ankle my foot took the brunt of the impact. Pretty amazing really. They still work great for me years later.
A friend once tried convincing me that a motorbike is one of the most dangerous ways to travel. (I wanted one) A few years later, he mentioned that he has a moped.:rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by destroyrofworlds
Alpinestars SMX-4. I have some waterproof touring-style boots from Hein Gericke aswell, which serve their purpose of keeping your feet warm and dry brilliantly, and are much more comfortable to wear off the bike, but I have no doubt I would have destroyed my feet if I had been wearing them in that particular accident. Then again, if I had been wearing my commuting gear I wouldn't have been tear arsing around trying to get my knee down in October and wouldn't have crashed in the first place. Swings and roundabouts! The Alpinestars took minimal damage on one foot - a dent in the toe region which is more like a line than anything else, they're not deformed. And I assume as I dislocated my ankle my foot took the brunt of the impact. Pretty amazing really. They still work great for me years later.
They don't look as bad as some of the other boots I've seen but you did still get a dislocated ankle. :eek:
Well, if you think about it, that's pretty miraculous considering it was a 60mph impact with a tree!
Reply 66
Out of curiosity, how many of you ride with extra armour under your motorcycle clothing? So the back protectors (though many seem to be zipped into the jackets by default anyway), chest protectors, etc. I've seen some upper-body armour which covers wrist, elbow, shoulder, chest and back for about £200-£250 or so. Would it be a worthwhile investment?

Any statistics on the most common places of injury on crash victims?
Original post by SillyEddy
Out of curiosity, how many of you ride with extra armour under your motorcycle clothing? So the back protectors (though many seem to be zipped into the jackets by default anyway), chest protectors, etc. I've seen some upper-body armour which covers wrist, elbow, shoulder, chest and back for about £200-£250 or so. Would it be a worthwhile investment?

Any statistics on the most common places of injury on crash victims?

I had a full body under armour 'jacket' It was uncomfortable and drive me mad, so i just use a separate back protector and upgraded the stuff in my trousers and jacket.
Reply 68
Original post by mackemforever
It's very difficult to say how dangerous it is because there are far too many factors involved.

Example, a family friend is now in his 60s, has ridden bikes for 40 years, and still rides far too quickly and takes a lot more risks than I would on my bike. In 40 years he has had precisely 2 accidents, one where he hit a patch of ice at about 20mph and one where he left his disk lock on as he tried to ride away.

Then at the other end of the spectrum was about 8 months ago a lad who lived in the same village as me, 22 years old, had his bike license for just under a year, and having ridden with him a few times I can say that he was one of the most careful, most sensible riders I had ever ridden with. He was knocked off his bike and killed while commuting to work.

So yes it can be extremely dangerous, but you do learn a lot of ways to minimise the risk. You become extremely good at observing what other motorists are doing, learn to always try and put yourself in a position where you can safely react to the actions of another vehicle, and generally keep yourself pretty safe. But at the end of the day there is only so much you can do, you can't eliminate the risk, you just have to do your best to minimise it.

Personally though, even though it can be dangerous, even though I know people that have been killed or seriously injured while on a bike, I can't see myself stopping riding any time in the future.

*EDIT* Also, I've been riding for almost 3 years now and in that time I've been involved in 2 accidents, one when I hit a patch of gravel while going around a bend at 30mph, and once when I locked up the back wheel at 110mph at Castle Coombe. Only injury was some minor tendon damage in my right wrist, and that was from the 30mph off!

that was really tragic what happened to that 22 year old:frown:
I lived in Florida most of my life and I rode a motorcycle for years almost every day. I took a motorcycle safety course and I highly recommend that. It teaches you to be aware of dangers on the road. I never had an accident on my motorcycle and I think its because I was aware of what was going on all around me. You need to look in your mirrors to see what is happening behind you and look at people coming out of side streets to see if they are looking in your direction and if not be careful. If you ride a motorcycle with common sense and look out for idiots in cars it can be a safe and pleasurable experience. Too many young people on crotch rockets drive like idiots and are asking for trouble. I feel safer on a motorcycle than a bicycle. I can keep up with traffic instead of pedaling on the side of the road like a sitting duck. Anyhow, just drive defensively and be aware of your surroundings and you will have a pleasurable experience. There is nothing like the feeling of freedom on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Latest