Cambridge only give out arts degrees even for science subjects

Watch
This discussion is closed.
anony.mouse
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
To cut a long story short, we were having a chemistry presentation the other day. A bit came up about different qualifications and one of them was BA/MA which confused people. Then someone said it's because cambridge only give out Arts degrees.

Even if you do a science degree, they still give you a BA/ MA in it! Is this true?

And why?And is it just Cambridge?
anony.mouse
Rep:
?
I did try googling this, but nothing came up . . .
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I googled "Cambridge BA only" just now, and the first result had the answer.

EDIT: The 4th result did as well.

Learn to google.
anony.mouse
Rep:
?
(Original post by >Untitled<)
It's probably because the presenter had a BA/MA in something not because they studied Chemistry at Cambridge then they decided to give them an arts degree.

source: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...urses/chemeng/

But they do give out arts degrees for some subjects such as NatSci :

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ourses/natsci/

So I don't know :dontknow:
No it asn't the presenter who had it. It came up as one of the slides that you can get a BA/MA in chemistry, but it didn't explain how/why. Then someone said that they thought it was about cambridge as they only give out arts degrees.

(Original post by NW86)
I googled "Cambridge BA only" just now, and the first result had the answer.

EDIT: The 4th result did as well.

Learn to google.
I googled 'why cambridge only have arts degrees' . . . and i couldn't see anything of use.
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
Cambridge undergraduate degrees are BA, regardless of subject (there may be exceptions for some subjects and longer courses but I don't know). As far as I can tell this is only an old silly tradition (like having "May Week" in June) and doesn't have anything to do with the content of the course.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/tripos.html
anony.mouse
Rep:
?
Ta, how perculiar that your certificate just says you've got a BA . . .
DirtyRotten
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's just one of many silly little things Oxbridge do to try and remain distinct from the other "lesser" unis.
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DirtyRotten)
It's just one of many silly little things Oxbridge do to try and remain distinct from the other "lesser" unis.
Is this one of the silly little things TSR users say to maintain a level of inverse snobbery?
writeaholic101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DirtyRotten)
Nope actually. It goes back to the medieval where science was consider one of the seven arts because the word 'art' came from the French for 'skill'. It wasn't till later when different types of art were distinguished (fine and applied) and science became more predominate that they split. Probably more along the lines just trying to stick with tradition.
Possum2018
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agree with writeaholic. The rest of the world has made an artificial barrier between art and science. Great artists are scientific and great scientists are artistic. Science is one of the great historical arts. That is why some of the older traditional universities only give arts degrees. It is not a silly tradition. It is based in classical and ancient knowledge. You are talking about some of the best universities in the world with immense intellectual history and suggesting what they do is wrong. Conflict of interest statement. I have a Cambridge MA
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Possum2018)
Agree with writeaholic. The rest of the world has made an artificial barrier between art and science. Great artists are scientific and great scientists are artistic. Science is one of the great historical arts. That is why some of the older traditional universities only give arts degrees. It is not a silly tradition. It is based in classical and ancient knowledge. You are talking about some of the best universities in the world with immense intellectual history and suggesting what they do is wrong. Conflict of interest statement. I have a Cambridge MA
This was a 2012 thread and is now closed.

GPWM though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.74%
Uncertainty around my education (87)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.68%
Lack of purpose or motivation (96)
12.82%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.21%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.61%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (81)
10.81%
Financial worries (50)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.14%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.2%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.48%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (58)
7.74%

Watched Threads