This discussion is closed.
Gary
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So i have 500mb of data a month and i was wondering will my mb be used up if if i keep my mobile data and 3g on but not using the phone? e.g. mobile data and 3g left on while my iphone is locked and in my pocket

thanks
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. Your iPhone will sync data whilst it has a connection, thus using your allowance.
For The Love Of Giraffe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, it will still be eating up your data by continuously syncing, so for example, it will deliver your e-mails to you straight away.

If you also intend to use your data for videos or things like that, 500mb really isn't a lot, so it's best to only switch on data when necessary. Having said that, if you intend to only surf the internet and not go on lots of sites with videos and lots to download, then 500mb is way more than enough and it shouldn't really matter if you forget to switch your data off when you're not using your phone.
ellieHA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can download an app that limits how much data your phone is allowed to use. I've got one called onavo count which seems to work quite nicely.
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gary)
So i have 500mb of data a month and i was wondering will my mb be used up if if i keep my mobile data and 3g on but not using the phone? e.g. mobile data and 3g left on while my iphone is locked and in my pocket
thanks
Yes, it will be consuming data, BUT it will hardly be significant. 500mb is enough for a month, as long as you're not streaming music/videos and are careful about how many big apps you download.

Get an app like Internet Watchdog (can't remember the exact name) and it'll tell you how much you've used. Also, try to use wifi wherever possible
Gary
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Polymath)
Yes, it will be consuming data, BUT it will hardly be significant. 500mb is enough for a month, as long as you're not streaming music/videos and are careful about how many big apps you download.

Get an app like Internet Watchdog (can't remember the exact name) and it'll tell you how much you've used. Also, try to use wifi wherever possible
Ahhh right thanks very much, yeh i only use it for like facebook, twitter anyway. thanks for the help
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I get 500mb of internet and use facebook and twitter all the time as well as BBM and I never use more than about 15mb a month (and that's a really bad month).

You'll be fine.
rmpr97
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If someone could answer this question it would be fab ... not getting an Iphone but an Android with 500MB, and I do like to have my data on all time (not when I'm sleeping though :P ) So I can have push notifications, and then do some surfing/social networking on top of it (videos & apps I'll leave to wifi). Would that be all-right?
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For that it's fine, it's only when you start streaming videos and video calling that it eats into your data massively.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ryan17.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Iphone has a counter built in its in general- use age - mobile use age

Gary
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ryan17.)
Iphone has a counter built in its in general- use age - mobile use age

What does that mean? Can you explain please?

Ryan17.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Means it tells you how much in MB you have used and then you can tell if your under the amount that's in your contract.

Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It does use it up but it's not a lot. I only switched the data off if I thought I'd be close to using my allowance in a month. The good thing about leaving data on is that you can then use Find My iPhone should your phone be lost or stolen.

ValentinaDeSanta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also on the 500mb a month plan. I use my data for looking up the occasional thing online, but not for Facebook, YouTube or anything else. I was out and forgot to turn it off. Will it be okay? Hope it doesn't result in a large phone bill 😳
ValentinaDeSanta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi. I did check the post dates, I just wondered if there was still anyone active on it just to quickly clarify something as opposed to starting a whole new thread. Anyway, thanks for the reply; it's what I assumed from the previous replies, but just wanted to confirm.
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ValentinaDeSanta)
Hi. I did check the post dates, I just wondered if there was still anyone active on it just to quickly clarify something as opposed to starting a whole new thread. Anyway, thanks for the reply; it's what I assumed from the previous replies, but just wanted to confirm.
Make a new thread
ValentinaDeSanta
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't see the point as I didn't need loads of comments replying. The answers were pretty much there in the discussion, I just needed that one comment for clarification.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads