Preparation of ethanamide from ethanoic acid

Watch
bbrain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How do you prepare ethanamide from ethanoic acid with a two-step reaction? Each step should involve a reagent so I can't dehydrate the ammonium salt for the second step.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
I'd honestly just go through the dehydration step, it seems a bit silly to require another reagent

But if they're going to be awkward, convert the carboxylic acid into an acid chloride first :ninja:
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
I'm not sure but wouldnt it be :

CH3COOH + NH3 - CH3CONH2 + H20

the oh would break off the ch3cooh making the c slightly positive which attracts the NH3 molecule, the a H form nh3 later breaks off joining with the previously broken off OH making H20 and CH3CONH2.

Is this edexcel unit 4 ? A2?
No.

OH is a bad leaving group (ie OH- almost never falls off a molecule. Also ammonia is a base. Acid + base --> salt
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by illusionz)
No.

OH is a bad leaving group (ie OH- almost never falls off a molecule. Also ammonia is a base. Acid + base --> salt
thanks for the correction - I didn't know that :O I'll remember it now
extons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
React the acid with PCl5 to get a mixture including the ethanoyl chloride. You can separate it with fractional distillation.

Now you can react this acid chloride with concentrated aqueous ammonia and there you go, ethanamide!
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your first step is to form an acid chloride, via the addition of PCl5 to ethanoic acid. Then react the ethanoyl chloride with ammonia?
extons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James A)
Your first step is to form an acid chloride, via the addition of PCl5 to ethanoic acid. Then react the ethanoyl chloride with ammonia?
Yes.
EierVonSatan
Report 8 years ago
You could always convert the carboxylic acid to the acid chloride then react it with ammonia to give you the amide.
Annachristinak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is too easy.. Do not think about it twice.. acid+ NH3 gives us an unstable molecule which leads to have a primary amide (Remember you have always acid + NH3 --> primary amide)
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Annachristinak)
This is too easy.. Do not think about it twice.. acid+ NH3 gives us an unstable molecule which leads to have a primary amide (Remember you have always acid + NH3 --> primary amide)
You are replying to a thread which was last active in 2012.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads