This discussion is closed.
GemmyMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys, I left school at 16, tried to do college twice and couldn't due to mental health problems. Now 20, almost 21.

I'm considering going back to college in either september 2013 or 14 - putting me at 21/22. Which for A levels, is going to be quite a difference to the 16 and 17 year olds in the courses. It's an FE college so it's not the same as going back to a 6th form, but most of the A level students are under 18 in their 1st year.

Anyone gone back at this age with a load of people 5 years younger and if so, was there any problems/issues with it?

I'm considering going to study medicine so quite a big thing to make decisions on - I guess the same decisions many others would be trying to make as well!

Not quite sure 21 is mature but it's not average age either!

Also, any ways to prepare yourself for restarting education? I used to find it all so easy (you know... pre-mental health issues), guessing after a gap it's much harder?

Also, hello anyone who reads! Sorry I've been thinking of this for a while and just making tentative enquiries
davewelch00
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Im 25 mate, ten years older than most! started my alevels this september. stop moaning and get on with it!

Look up the courses you are going to want to take to see which syllabus they follow, then you can purchase some study or revision books accordingly.
Stephan89
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I went back to do A Levels this September at the age of 23, and I was able to settle in quickly. You'll most likely find others around your age because people make the decision to go back into education at many different points in life. I have 2 people in my tutor group who are 25 and 23. The only time that age has been brought up in conversation was when we were 'breaking the ice' during the first 3 days. Since then no-one has even brought age up and we all get along really well in all my subjects (chemistry, biology and maths).

As for problems, the only one I've encountered is that my idea of 'basic' algebra wasn't exactly the same as what the college had planned. I've sorted that now, and everything else has been brilliant so far.

Like davewelch, I'd say go for it if you have your heart set on studying medicine. Make use of study books and online resources around the subjects you're interested in taking and you should have no problems when the course starts.

All the best. :^_^:
Leoroary
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
its not a problem at all Im 21.
went to college the first time round at 17.
on my access course there is people of all ages. there is one person younger than me at 20, most are late 20s, same with maths
on my german course a lot of people are younger though 16/17 because a lot of schools aren't offering languages anymore but there are still 2 people older than me. the only time it bothers me is when they go on about getting drunk at the weekends, popular people/parties at school and driving lessons and such.
I would just say get into good study haibits right away, keep on top of homework and study a little every day. Also be organised be on time and have a diary/seperate folders for each class
Yellow_Watermelon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Im 9 years older than the youngest in my class the rest are about 5 years younger than me.
some advice
make sure you turn up on time to every class and don't miss any classes as a mature student you should set an example. complete every piece of work and don't distract the class.
its very quick to earn the teachers respect this way. They will then become more friendly give you more help and more leeway. I'm doing a Btec so there is allot of "teachers discretion" when it comes to marking assignments and deadlines.

the students will not care about your age and your a young mature student

to prepare I would start reading and watching documentaries about your subjects.
I would also develop some hobbies relating to you chosen course to help with filling your personal statement and something to talk about at your university interview
you need to make yourself stand out.
start thinking about possible work experience even now before you start.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
Thanks all, I'm now looking at access courses too - really weighing my options up for now, there's quite a few!
wetin dey?
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing Alevels at an FE college and most of my classmates are 18+ going up to over 40. However this is for the 1yr intensive a-levels but I would have no problems sitting in the regular AS level class with 16+ if it was the only option for me...
GemmyMonster
Rep:
Thanks all.

Am now looking into it and trying to work out if I'd have to pay course fees. If so there's no way I can do the a-levels I'd need to for medicine. But have emailed the local college who does the most with mature students to find out. I am on ESA but I'm unsure if that'd stop if I started a-levels so make me not qualify - it's all a bit confusing.

I am looking into an alternative entry route but am having to look more into it.

Is it just me who finds it a little unfair we're potentially penalised for not being able to do it at a standard age?
Tigrah99
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GemmyMonster)
Thanks all, I'm now looking at access courses too - really weighing my options up for now, there's quite a few!
I would really recommend doing an access course, especially if you want to be around people your own age as typically they are 18+ only. It's intensive and a lot of work but so enjoyable, trust me! They're aimed mature students who haven't done the education thing for a while, designed to ease you back into it all the while preparing you for uni, so you might find it will suit you better. And there's the added bonus of only being a year, getting you to uni a lot faster. Pretty much all universities accept access too, so you're not at any kind of disadvantage by not doing A Levels instead.
GemmyMonster
Rep:
Thanks all. I've decided to go for my long lost dream of medicine - I've got 2 major options for 2 that suit me best. First is A-levels, then uni - 2nd is I can apply to 2 with "just" taking the GAMSAT so I'm considering that too, though there's fores and againsts of both. GAMSAT lasts 2 years so gives me 2 application goes - I'm now looking into trying to get work experience and start volunteering.

Until I'm 24 I can do a-levels for free at a local college so that's a longer term option still.

I know GAMSAT would be brutal but it's definitely an option I'm thinking of. I'm looking into it heavily!
chloeleanor
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Hey Gemmy!

Your situation is EXACTLY the same as mine! I was unable to complete my studies post 16 a few times due to mental health problems and my family circumstances at the time. It does make you feel slightly isolated with your situation but one thing I've learnt through going back to education is that there are SO many other people in similar situations!

I'm 20 and doing an Access to HE art & design diploma, and want to go to university in 2013 or 2014.

The ages of people on my Access course are between 19 and 50+ and there are quite a few people on my course around our age who have had similar experiences to us, so we're not alone. And you do start to realize that all the worries you had before starting aren't so bad after all.

I know you're not doing an Access course so it will be different for you, but the point i'm making is that you shouldn't worry, because in the grand scheme of things you still have your whole life ahead of you, so just go for it. It's fantastic that you want to get back into education, it's really exciting! And it sounds like you have an exciting path ahead of you.

I wish you the best of luck! x
ACAB
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to start a ft course this year ill be 21
carlaraptor
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chloeleanor)
Hey Gemmy!

Your situation is EXACTLY the same as mine! I was unable to complete my studies post 16 a few times due to mental health problems and my family circumstances at the time. It does make you feel slightly isolated with your situation but one thing I've learnt through going back to education is that there are SO many other people in similar situations!
I've also been in a similar situation - I finished school, tried going to college and couldn't handle it due to mental health and personal problems. I managed a few months the second time and I was doing really well, and absolutely loving the chance to finally excel (I was bullied quite badly at school and underachieved). However, personal/mental issues cropped up and I couldn't continue.

I've now just turned 23, and have been accepted on an Access course starting in September I'm so, so excited. ^_^
TheRealJT
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm so glad there are people in similar situations to myself!
Tom_91
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I did college twice to first time was A-Levels and suffice to say due some personal issues and no idea what the heck i wnated to do i left. did some work bummed around went back again and due tof inaces this time was forced to abandon studies. But now i'm going back again not A_levels thnakfull an access course as i think at 21 (22 when i start) they will irritate the heck ot of me But i'm glad im going back now i have a clear idea of what i wnat to do i feel more importantly ready for it which i was not at 18 19 or 20
lboydhill
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys, I left school at 16, tried to do college twice and couldn't due to mental health problems. Now 20, almost 21.

I'm considering going back to college in either september 2013 or 14 - putting me at 21/22. Which for A levels, is going to be quite a difference to the 16 and 17 year olds in the courses. It's an FE college so it's not the same as going back to a 6th form, but most of the A level students are under 18 in their 1st year.

Anyone gone back at this age with a load of people 5 years younger and if so, was there any problems/issues with it?

I'm considering going to study medicine so quite a big thing to make decisions on - I guess the same decisions many others would be trying to make as well!

Also, any ways to prepare yourself for restarting education? I used to find it all so easy (you know... pre-mental health issues), guessing after a gap it's much harder?

Also, hello anyone who reads! Sorry I've been thinking of this for a while and just making tentative enquiries

Hi I know it's been a few years but I'm wondering how this worked out for you? Did you go ahead with it?

I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat as you, left college first time around because of health issues, will be almost 21 when I go back to college to do A Levels with the idea of then doing a medical degree.

So I'm curious!

All the best.
bigmansouf
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
going back is not the problem and the class i was in last yr was very good but the important thing is support from teachers after classes
Kaeden
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lboydhill)
Hi I know it's been a few years but I'm wondering how this worked out for you? Did you go ahead with it?

I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat as you, left college first time around because of health issues, will be almost 21 when I go back to college to do A Levels with the idea of then doing a medical degree.

So I'm curious!

All the best.
If you're worried about age differences, why not apply to do courses for 19+ learners such as an Access to Medicine or Access to Science course?

They're accepted by most universities.
Potter-goth94
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello, did you have to pay to go back to college at 25?
Last edited by Potter-goth94; 2 years ago
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

Hi there GemmyMonster

As you've already seen in your replies, 21 is a young mature student! I started my Access course at 39, and was treated like any other student on my Access course and both my undergraduate and Masters degree. Age really doesn't matter!

Instead of A-Levels, an Access course might be an alternative option for you to consider. My advice from my personal experience is do your research. Check the universities you're interested in can offer you the support you require and go to all the Open Days you can to talk to current students and the academic staff. Make sure you'll be happy there for the duration of your course.

Fi :horse:
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 2 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
10.26%
Okay (92)
29.49%
A bit lacking (112)
35.9%
Not good at all (76)
24.36%

Watched Threads