The Student Room Group

Christmas Temp Jobs 2012

Hi the Question that i am asking is really the title. i am looking for a job but am finding hard to do so. The thought of a Christmas temp came in to my head and i was just asking if anybody knows if i can seen as im 15. but i am 16 in january if this helps anybody thank you for reading and i look forward to reading some answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheILupo
Hi the Question that i am asking is really the title. i am looking for a job but am finding hard to do so. The thought of a Christmas temp came in to my head and i was just asking if anybody knows if i can seen as im 15. but i am 16 in january if this helps anybody thank you for reading and i look forward to reading some answers

I don't think you can legally work under 16 years of age and so many date in June.
But you might be able to get a paper round if you need some extra cash.
When will you 15 year olds learn? :')
No one will employ you if you're under 16, just wait a little longer
Reply 4
Original post by SteBrazier95
When will you 15 year olds learn? :')
No one will employ you if you're under 16, just wait a little longer

Check the link.
Didn't say you couldn't work, I said no one will employ them
WHSmith hires kids from 13+, check out their careers website. I'm 15 and I've just uploaded my CV fingers crossed I get a job!:smile::smile:
Reply 7
Do they lock them in the stockroom? I've never seen anyone who looked 13/14 working in WHSmith.
Haha same! But if you on their careers website it says they hire from the age of 13.
Reply 9
I can't find that part on the careers website :frown:

Link anyone xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
I currently work part time at a restaurant. The job itself is fine, as is the pay but I really can't cope with the hours. It's not the volume so much as finishing late - about 3 o'clock on a saturday night if I'm closing, and then them happily expecting me in at 10 the next day. I mean my entire weekend this weekend is going to involve me working, and then sleeping in order to catch up on the sleep I've missed because of the hours. I really struggle functioning on low sleep.

So, I want a new job. I've been to a careers advisor who has helped me revamp my CV so it's more suitable for a retail job, and has given me tips on how to write a cover letter in order to show off my suitability for retail.

Obviously, at this time of the year, the majority of jobs (though not all) are for Xmas temps. Now, the careers advisor says that roughly 75% of Christmas temps get asked to stay on, especially in small luxury shops, which are what I'm aiming for due to my prior experience. But the thing is, should I risk getting an Xmas job, considering that statistics, when I know that I could easily, and rightfully, be without a job in January. And I need a job.

Would it be worth it just for the retail experience so I can apply for more retail in the new year or should I just stick for applying to permanent positions?

Thanks!
Reply 11
I'm wondering if it is too late to get an Xmas temp job? I was thinking about putting my CV out starting from Monday as I'm busy fixing up my CV now. I also wanted to know is stating hobbies and interests compuslury?
Reply 12
Anyone?
January is often a difficult time for retail as an industry as people don't have much money left to spend after the Christmas and New Years celebrations so there's no guarantee that they keep holiday temps on at all. I think it will really depend on whether you will be able to save up some money from a Christmas job to help tide you over until you can get a new job (if necessary) after the holidays. Another option would be to stay where you are now for a few more months until the retail industry start looking for people more actively again around March time or to try and find another hospitality type job that maybe finishes a few hours earlier on the weekends (say 1am vs 3am).
Reply 14
Original post by thewaythingsare
January is often a difficult time for retail as an industry as people don't have much money left to spend after the Christmas and New Years celebrations so there's no guarantee that they keep holiday temps on at all. I think it will really depend on whether you will be able to save up some money from a Christmas job to help tide you over until you can get a new job (if necessary) after the holidays. Another option would be to stay where you are now for a few more months until the retail industry start looking for people more actively again around March time or to try and find another hospitality type job that maybe finishes a few hours earlier on the weekends (say 1am vs 3am).

Thanks. I have an interview for another restaurant job but it's not ideal by any means. I'm also applying for the few non temp retail jobs there are...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm hoping a Christmas job I'm applying for will hire me and then keep me on so I can't quit my current job :-) were you thinking of quitting your job for this Xmas temp one?

Reply 16
Original post by KatCox
I'm hoping a Christmas job I'm applying for will hire me and then keep me on so I can't quit my current job :-) were you thinking of quitting your job for this Xmas temp one?

Essentially yes. I'm really struggling with the late nights...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt the careers advisor is being honest. There's a shortage of jobs at almost all levels at the moment and I don't see why the stores would need to retain 75% of people they hired as temps (why not just hire them as permanents in the first place?).

If you need the job then I'd suggest you don't leave it until you have a real alternative.
Reply 18
Im sure legally you have to have 11 hours between shifts. i couldn't find a link on directgov but its definitely more than 7.
as for jobs, I would just apply for everything and then take it from there, you can always say no. its so hard to get anything
(edited 11 years ago)
As Leoroary says, you legally have to have a minimum break of 11 hours between shifts, which is referred to in law as 'daily rest' https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending