What makes a person ugly or not? (physically)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
jcd1993
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is just a thought I've had on my mind... What actually makes a person ugly... Or vice versa? Proportion? Symmetry? I've seen people and thought "they're good looking" or the exact opposite, but in many cases I've never been able to put my finger on what exactly my judgement is based off...

Thoughts?
N_Thuduwage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Girls with huge spider lashes, neon pink lipstick on a duck mouth, orange face, messy back combed hair.
Basically girls that look like they belly flopped into a mud pit of make up.
jami74
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Attitude, posture and personal care.
belligerent ghoul
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bad styling, bad attitude, bad hygiene, bad teeth, being overweight (though I've seen some really beautiful bigger people - extra fat doesn't suit most people though), facial proportions (i.e. bad luck).

Of course, most of this is subjective. (As it nearly always is, concerning aesthetics).
ashtoreth
Badges: 11
Report 8 years ago
http://www.realscience.us/2012/04/30...by-the-number/

i think this explains it rather well.
SuperWolfPaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jcd1993)
This is just a thought I've had on my mind... What actually makes a person ugly... Or vice versa? Proportion? Symmetry? I've seen people and thought "they're good looking" or the exact opposite, but in many cases I've never been able to put my finger on what exactly my judgement is based off...

Thoughts?
yeh i think its facial symmetry, they may have a part of their face that is an unusual shape/size in proportion to the rest of the face, their eyes maybe too close together e.g price harry, they may have blotchy complexion and unhealthy skin ,something may look deformed ( to me the silly duck lip trend looks deformed) Their face may look partically unique and you may just not have a preference towards there face subconsciously
Some people think i look masculine since i have big facial bones... err i try to make a compliment out of it
people are drawn towards faces that look genetically healthy.
Blazinq
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I always wondered this, because even if someone has lovely hair, they could look ugly, and I'm never so sure what makes me think of them that way even with certain stuff which looks good on them
R4INBOW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I guess it's the overall balance of your face and your facial symmetry. If all your features fit together -no matter what they may be- then you're not going to be ugly.
Classical Liberal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Facially. General signs of beauty are.

Low body fat. Strong face muscles. Symmetry. Features proportioned to the golden ratio.
Londonburger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Scientifically speaking, it's the bone frame.

Individually, it's dependent on your growing environment where your view of beauty could be shaped.
Turty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Science http://anaface.com/
Ilikebacon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think facial shape and eyes play a huge part.

Skin tone apparently plays a big part too? Because when you think about it, the vast majority of people you see with olive skin tones are attractive because the tanned light brown skin is a really complimentary colour that compliments the rest of their features. This explains why you rarely ever see an ugly mixed race or arabic or south Asian or Persian or Latina or Hispanic person.

If some people had different sized eyes or eyes of a different shape they would be more attractive. Then facial structure is a factor also.
weerydo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
id say complexion is a big factor
Ilikebacon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by weerydo)
id say complexion is a big factor
This is what I was saying. Let's say you cloned an attractive Hispanic girl and made her clone really really dark - but she has the exact same features, the Hispanic girl would be considered more attractive by almost everyone. So the really dark person is not actually ugly but their skin colour puts less emphasis on their features and doesn't look as nice as if they were a light brown.

That being said, there is a Jamaican girl in my year who is prettier than the mixed race girl and some of the white girls. She has really nice eyes and facial symmetry so I assume this plays a part.
Sophiemjtaylor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Facial proportions ??
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
IMO: (for girls) you need nice eyes (included eyelashes eyebrows etc... doesnt matter what colour as long as their eyes are beautiful)
Nice skin (and tone sometimes)
Nice healthy smile
The rest of the facial features aren’t that important IMO

For men: good “bone structure” (eg jawline)
Smouldering eyes
Healthy smile
Any hair as long as it isn’t too long
Nice skin
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
36.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads