TV Licence- I'm under investigation Watch

Pavers123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, would really appreciate some help with this or to hear what others are doing about it, as I know many are in a similar position to me.

I received a letter saying that I am officially under investigation by the TV Licence company. Apparently they sent me a letter last month (which they did NOT) telling me I needed to buy one, and as I am still unlicensed, I am now under investigation. Apparently I can stop this by buying a licence now, otherwise I face either a Summons, court hearing or £1000 fine.

I had read extensively about this before starting at uni, and knew that I only needed a licence to watch or stream live tv.

I am a film and television production student, so need to have a tv in order to study the films, but I am not even aware of how to connect my tv to the aerial, dont think I have a socket for one, so have watched no live tv, only dvds and blu rays.

I have not even accessed iPlayer or ITV Player here, I have used 4od to watch The Inbetweeners, which was not live. I did watch a live feed of the space jump on YouTube, and that is all. But I have read live feeds on websites do not count.

I have read lots of people in a similar situation, many with a licence and still being under investigation. Most of my flatmates and my friends at other universities have had the letter too. Many people online have said to ignore it as they will never come, and if they do, you dont have to let them in. I have not streamed live television, but live feeds on YouTube were fine to my knowledge. Do I still ignore them??

Apparently even if I do get in contact with them, they will write again anyway.

Many thanks for reading, and for any comments left.
thestudentdoctor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Talk to your university. They would/should know how to deal with these matters, I'm sure many worried students have contacted them. You could also phone the TV license people up, although I'm not sure how helpful that will be.
internetguru
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is the same letter they send to every student in the country just ignore it, it is junk mail.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just ignore the letters. If you aren't watching live TV you don't need a licence and should not allow yourself to be bullied into buying one. In the extremely unlikely event you end up in court they will have to prove you have been watching TV, which they won't be able to do. Don't let them into your room unless they have a warrant.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not a real letter as in one individually addressed to you. It's one they send to every address without a licence.

If you're sure you're not doing things that require a licence (it sounds like you're ok, but that's assuming you're not lying) then you're fine to just ignore it
ellieHA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can ignore it or you can follow the link on the letter, claim that you don't need one, and they'll send you a very jovial letter saying thanls for telling them. Either way unless you've been watching live TV don't worry.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're not really under investigation, they have a database with people who do have licences and those whose addresses are not on the database they target for their campaign of intimidation, the man in the van might use a GPS which is how they say they have satellites telling them where the houses without licenses are, they're not lying it's just a GPS. They don't have special equipment in their vans, they work by using threats of court action, being sued and the myth of their magic vans from the future to make you think you're being stalked until you give in and just pay ('Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.'). They might park their van outside where you live, but all electrical equipment gives out EM waves so a device which can tell that you're watching live TV is a work of fiction, they will keep giving you letters, they might send a man in a uniform round, he's not a policeman, he has no legal power, you don't have to let him in. You can write too the TV licensing company a letter withdrawing your consent for them to send letters or send their representatives too your house, keep a record of this and if they persist, you can take them to court for harassment. Thousands of people are caught but only because they tell their neighbours and when they fall out with their neighbours they report them. You're allowed to watch any broadcast TV on iPlayer, ITVplayer or 4od after it has been broadcast without paying the license, just so you know. So don't let them intimidate you.
VictoryGin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no need to ignore it; you need to go on their site and declare that you're not using anything which requires a TV license. I did this in response to the first letter, and have had no further correspondence with them, however my flatmates are now 'being investigated' too. I heard they use a van to check TV signals outside your building or something, sounds like a load of crap though.
Friar Chris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pavers123)
Hi guys, would really appreciate some help with this or to hear what others are doing about it, as I know many are in a similar position to me.

I received a letter saying that I am officially under investigation by the TV Licence company. Apparently they sent me a letter last month (which they did NOT) telling me I needed to buy one, and as I am still unlicensed, I am now under investigation. Apparently I can stop this by buying a licence now, otherwise I face either a Summons, court hearing or £1000 fine.

I had read extensively about this before starting at uni, and knew that I only needed a licence to watch or stream live tv.

I am a film and television production student, so need to have a tv in order to study the films, but I am not even aware of how to connect my tv to the aerial, dont think I have a socket for one, so have watched no live tv, only dvds and blu rays.

I have not even accessed iPlayer or ITV Player here, I have used 4od to watch The Inbetweeners, which was not live. I did watch a live feed of the space jump on YouTube, and that is all. But I have read live feeds on websites do not count.

I have read lots of people in a similar situation, many with a licence and still being under investigation. Most of my flatmates and my friends at other universities have had the letter too. Many people online have said to ignore it as they will never come, and if they do, you dont have to let them in. I have not streamed live television, but live feeds on YouTube were fine to my knowledge. Do I still ignore them??

Apparently even if I do get in contact with them, they will write again anyway.

Many thanks for reading, and for any comments left.

Everybody in my halls got one in first year. The TV licensing people are arrogant ***s who think that just because someone is a student, they can get away with sending offensive and threatening letters to them inappropriately. It's downright rude and they think they can do it because you're a student - when you haven't done anything wrong.

They haven't 'detected' some sort of breach on your part. These get sent to basically everyone in halls, and it's pretty damned out of order. Just fill in the declaration to say you don't need one online, or just ignore them - they can come round all they like, but (afaik) need a police warrant to enter the property without your (or the university's) permission - and then you've done nothing wrong anyway, so they can come in and find this out.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have been persecuted by these chavs for years...i have not owned a telly at all; if they can prove that i have done something which i have not done then i will give up on British justice.

The revelations about the BBC's nonciness make me more determined not to fund these kiddy fiddlers
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's a form you can fill in to tell them that you don't own a TV with aerial and aren't watching TV. If you fill that in (as I did last year in halls) then the junk mail stops coming.
Pavers123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys.

Thank you for all your help, it is hugely appreciated.

I have been to the link to declare I do not need a licence so hopefully this will be ok now. Even though I have read they will still post a generic letter to me again at some point anyway.

Hope everyone else who has received one of these letters is ok.

Many thanks again everyone.
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
My uni flat got a letter that set a court date for us and we ignored it and nothing ever happened.

Fight the Power :dance:
adamwells
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ive had this letter atleast 6 times in the space of a few weeks moving into my accommodation, looks pretty awesome and I especially like how they put "tenant" and not my actual name, confirming they just send it out to everyone in the hope students pay up. In the 3 years of being a student, only one have I paid for a tv licence and that was only because I was in a shared house and the house mate insisted.
`R92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're manipulative as ****. They give the impression you have to purchase a license when you watch tv on laptop which is bull****. On an obscure part of their website they state that you don't need one when watching it on a device powered by batteries (unplugged laptop but plug it in anyway because how would they know?).

E-mail saying you don't need one and they should **** off. I did it and they left me alone.
xbeth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also got one of these letters. Just ignore it, they're just trying to scare people into buying one.
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They extort money with fear. Ignore them since you're doing nothing wrong.
MancStudent098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by adamwells)
I especially like how they put "tenant" and not my actual name, confirming they just send it out to everyone in the hope students pay up.
They posted one in every letterbox in our halls at the same time. Wasn't really convinced that they'd singled me out for punishment given that there was a copy of the same letter sticking out of every single letterbox.:rolleyes:
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Treat it as junk mail, they just get sent out automatically - it's probably not even addressed to you, but to 'The Present Occupier' or similar.

I got one saying I could be tried and convicted in my absence... yeah, good one.
.snowflake.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've told them I don't have a TV, and I'm still 'under investigation'. We now open them, laugh, then stick it in the recycling. Our flat is also getting these snotty letters for rooms which don't exist, which they keep sending us, despite us sending them back with 'return to sender, no such adress exists' written across the front!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%