The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Yorrap
I never mark my papers/count the marks.

no idea, perhaps a bit lower than the past years?

lol, quick response :smile: Im pretty sure it will be lower. by how much, not sure.
Reply 221
Original post by Warlord
lol, quick response :smile: Im pretty sure it will be lower. by how much, not sure.

lol sorry xD
yeah it should be lower, seems like it wasn't 'that easy'
I A* is always 72-73/90 , only in january 2012 it was 80/90.
I don't know if it can fall below 70, we will see :tongue:
Reply 222
Original post by Yorrap
lol sorry xD
yeah it should be lower, seems like it wasn't 'that easy'
I A* is always 72-73/90 , only in january 2012 it was 80/90.
I don't know if it can fall below 70, we will see :tongue:

i think an A could be around 60-63. how did you find it?
Reply 224
Original post by Warlord
i think an A could be around 60-63. how did you find it?

Strange paper but not difficult as hell I would say xD

I did not know 3 of the copper compounds in the first question, never seen them in the book, depending on the mark scheme, I will have a chat with Edexcel later :J
I could do the rest in the first question as James A, till that 4 marker, lol

Also I realize that I did not draw the additional carbon chain in that polyamide in last question. I probably drew Kevlar by forgetting that CH2 group xD /facepalm
Reply 225
Original post by Yorrap

I did not know 3 of the copper compounds in the first question, never seen them in the book, depending on the mark scheme, I will have a chat with Edexcel later :J

Also I realize that I did not draw the additional carbon chain in that polyamide in last question. I probably drew Kevlar by forgetting that CH2 group xD /facepalm

Same, I may contact edexcel for the copper names, that was a joke. The drawing a polymer q? Lol, I dont even remember. Wasnt kevlar lol, but it did have conh link I think.
Original post by Yorrap

Original post by Warlord
Same, I may contact edexcel for the copper names, that was a joke. The drawing a polymer q? Lol, I dont even remember. Wasnt kevlar lol, but it did have conh link I think.

I must admit though, how the **** are we supposed to have known what the black solid was?? arghhhhhh so annoyed man.

hopefully low grade boundaries, they will have to!
Reply 227
Original post by James A
I must admit though, how the **** are we supposed to have known what the black solid was?? arghhhhhh so annoyed man.

I put Copper oxide, no clue if thats right or whatever. I just made a guess, using some stupid logic like the heat removed the water and oh ligands, had no freaking clue. Was the q on why copper iodide was colourless to do with the splitting of d orbitals?
Original post by Warlord
I put Copper oxide, no clue if thats right or whatever. I just made a guess, using some stupid logic like the heat removed the water and oh ligands, had no freaking clue. Was the q on why copper iodide was colourless to do with the splitting of d orbitals?

:yep: you talk about no d-d transitions taking place from lower energy ligands to higher energy ligands, hence colourless. Then you say the opposite for the other compound (it was a comparison question) which was coloured.

What did you put for the absorbic acid q about why four tablets are used rather than two? I put to increase the reliability of the experiment.
Reply 229
Original post by James A
:yep: you talk about no d-d transitions taking place from lower energy ligands to higher energy ligands, hence colourless. Then you say the opposite for the other compound (it was a comparison question) which was coloured.

What did you put for the absorbic acid q about why four tablets are used rather than two? I put to increase the reliability of the experiment.

Larger mass used, so lower precentage error? Both reasons I hope are correct, yours is fine. Yeahh, got those 3 marks then.
Reply 230
Original post by James A

oh, and the 4 marker on why phenol was more reactive then the other compound, benzene methanol or something like that. 4 marks? Wth was up with that q...
Reply 231
Original post by Warlord

lul yes I know it wasn't kevlar ~_~
I am just saying that I forgot this red circled part in my chain on both sides :/
(it was something like this)

Original post by James A

I still don't know what that pink solid + blue solution is xD

Original post by James A

You had to give the electronic configuration, showing that one is 3d10 the other is not (3d9 I think) then start writing about how igands split d orbitals ...and d-d transitions taking place/not taking place etc.

Using four tablets gives you that volume of titre. using less would lower the titre (and the mean value) so higher %error (or %uncertainty) therefore not reliable bla bla xD
Original post by Warlord
oh, and the 4 marker on why phenol was more reactive then the other compound, benzene methanol or something like that. 4 marks? Wth was up with that q...

The lone pair of electrons on the oxygen atom in phenol is drawn into the benzene ring, which increases the electron density in the delocalised ring, hence phenol is more susceptible to electrophillic attack, hence faster reactions. I put for the other molecule that methoxy group (i think that was it, forgot) draws electron density away from the benzene ring, hence making it less susceptible to electrophillic attack.
Reply 233
Original post by Yorrap
lul yes I know it wasn't kevlar ~_~
I am just saying that I forgot this red circled part in my chain on both sides :/
(it was something like this)

I still don't know what that pink solid + blue solution is xD

You had to give the electronic configuration, showing that one is 3d10 the other is not (3d9 I think) then start writing about how igands split d orbitals ...and d-d transitions taking place/not taking place etc.

Using four tablets gives you that volume of titre. using less would lower the titre (and the mean value) so higher %error (or %uncertainty) therefore not reliable bla bla xD

Yeyy, I think I got all the above qs right, so thats like another 6 marks lol :smile:
Oh, the pink solid is pure copper I believe. I didnt get this either, but I did remember that copper has a salmon pink colour in some form? I think its just copper. Had no clue about that or the blue solution in the exam.
Reply 234
Original post by James A
The lone pair of electrons on the oxygen atom in phenol is drawn into the benzene ring, which increases the electron density in the delocalised ring, hence phenol is more susceptible to electrophillic attack, hence faster reactions. I put for the other molecule that methoxy group (i think that was it, forgot) draws electron density away from the benzene ring, hence making it less susceptible to electrophillic attack.

Ah. I should hopefully get 2/3 out of 4 for that q. Didnt write the group draws electrons away.
Reply 235
Original post by James A

I wrote it doesn't have lone pair of electrons (the carbon atom attached to the ring), so can't donate and is therefore less reactive..

Original post by Warlord
Yeyy, I think I got all the above qs right, so thats like another 6 marks lol :smile:
Oh, the pink solid is pure copper I believe. I didnt get this either, but I did remember that copper has a salmon pink colour in some form? I think its just copper. Had no clue about that or the blue solution in the exam.

copper and pink?
is that even possible? xD
(edit/ seems like it is? lol)

what about the hydrogen environments and that IR data?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by Yorrap
copper and pink?

Brass is an alloy of metals primarily copper and zinc for the common brasses (roughly 70% copper 30% zinc. Using Citric acid on Brass dissolves a minute amount of the metal (don't worry it won't hurt it), but the dissolved copper can re deposit (the zinc doesn't) back onto the surface of the brass, giving a "salmon pink" colouration. This is such a thin layer that it can easily be cleaned off. With pure copper pipes this same effect redeposits fresh copper back onto the pipe, with a characteristic "salmon pink" tinge, that is quite distinctive compared to the "aged" copper patina

Got this from a random site just now :biggrin:
Reply 237
Original post by Yorrap
I wrote it doesn't have lone pair of electrons (the carbon atom attached to the ring), so can't donate and is therefore less reactive..

Dont remember entireyly, I think I may have written this. Not sure haha. Lot of 3-4 mark qs, was odd wasnt it.
Reply 238
Original post by Yorrap

copper and pink?
(edit/ seems like it is? lol)

what about the hydrogen environments and that IR data?

LOOOOL told you it was pink :tongue: The 4 marker on the h environments? I remember circling two diff environments and grouping them together as one letter, dont rememeber lool. Tell me the answers, maybe then it will come to mind. I seem to forget everything :biggrin:
Reply 239
Original post by Warlord
LOOOOL told you it was pink :tongue: The 4 marker on the h environments? I remember circling two diff environments and grouping them together as one letter, dont rememeber lool. Tell me the answers, maybe then it will come to mind. I seem to forget everything :biggrin:

If I am not mistaken there were two -CH2-CH2- groups and I circled both -CH2-CH2- groups as a single environment.

All others containing H / H2 one circle

so it's something like this;
a) -CH2-CH2-
b)-CH2-CH2-
c)NH
d)e)f) CH or CH2 - whatever is left with one or two hydrogens lol

and that infrared data was both showing amide
wtf? xD
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending