Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

From what I understood, students in the universities/colleges of the uk cannot live outside of the university. For example, if I go to lets say Cambridge, Robinson college, and my house is in Croydon Surrey, I cannot sleep at my house, even if I am willing to drive 100 miles.

Is it true?
    In countries like the US or Italy, I believe that you can actually go live wherever you want, even though the distance between the university and the house has to be reasonable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurbyMaX)
    Hey!

From what I understood, students in the universities/colleges of the uk cannot live outside of the university. For example, if I go to lets say Cambridge, Robinson college, and my house is in Croydon Surrey, I cannot sleep at my house, even if I am willing to drive 100 miles.

Cambridge is a bit different because you have to "keep term". I know someone who lived out last term - you just have to talk to the accommodation people about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Cambridge is a bit different because you have to "keep term". I know someone who lived out last term - you just have to talk to the accommodation people about it.
    Cambridge was just an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurbyMaX)
    Cambridge was just an example
    Perhaps not the most universal to pick as an example...

My mum travelled 50 miles a day when she did her degree at Exeter (25 there and back). A lot of these things can be overcome if you go and see someone personally.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah most universities you do live out and *have* to live out for most of your course. 100 miles is not reasonable in the UK though, it's a small place, and anything more than like 10 miles is 'somewhere else altogether.' Oxford and Cambridge being the exception, where people stay in college for the entire course at almost all colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yeah most universities you do live out and *have* to live out for most of your course. 100 miles is not reasonable in the UK though, it's a small place, and anything more than like 10 miles is 'somewhere else altogether.' Oxford and Cambridge being the exception, where people stay in college for the entire course at almost all colleges?
    I agree 100 miles is a lot
    I was exagerating

Anyways lets say that it is 50miles+ there and back

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, even if the whole thing is a bit unreasonable, I should be the one to care, not the university right? It is not the university's business if I decide to journey 50 miles each day, still respecting the Uni time schedule, or yes?

ReputationRep:
    It definitely doesn't matter at Nottingham Trent, (however I do not think they would acept it as an excuse for missing lectures) Can't speak for any other unis!!

ReputationRep:
    At Essex we've got quite a lot of people who commute over distances of up to 50 miles, e.g. from Harlow, Ilford, Ipswich, etc. It's just cheaper to live at home than getting your own place in Colchester.
    For most Humanities & Social Sciences subjects your timetable isn't that full (only about 8 hours a week), so if you chose the "right" courses you only have to come in two or three times a week.

ReputationRep:
    Well I live at home and I've never been late for lecture yet, I attend them all unless I know I know there really is no point.

I'm 5 miles away which is 45 mins on the bus.

In city based universities its not all compact into one campus so it dosn't really matter where you live.

ReputationRep:
    If i had gone to imperial, i would have stayed at home

I live in South Croydon and Cambridge is far, far too far away to drive to every day. You'd be fine commuting to the London universities, but there'd be no point driving. I think the only university in which it'd be feasible to drive to every morning would be Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    In Oxbridge you usually have to live in for year one and your final year, although this is College specific.

Most Unis allow you to live whereever, but usually impose a max distance to ensure you have the best shot possible at making it in for lectures etc. I'd be very surprised if any Uni would be ok with a 200 mile round commute

ReputationRep:
    well, they do say transport in italy is very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    BTW Elpaw, what was your oxford offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)

Hmmm, well, when I was visiting England (London and Croydon), I found that the roads (like the m25 highway) were exceptional. The behaviour of the other drivers was good. We have encountered only one person that almost managed to collide his car onto ours... And to me that is good

In Italy, in town, at a daily basis you will encounter a dozen or so idiots who should be taken off the road...

The two things that I do not like about England are:

1) The weather (is it always raining? Last time I came to England, one day it was actually sunny, and it was a really beautiful experience to cruise around the vibrant green, sloping hills near Croydon...)

2) There are so many speed cameras!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    BTW Elpaw, what was your oxford offer?
    E,N,U and an S in STEP I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    E,N,U and an S in STEP I
    lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I live in Denmark (tiny), and I've been travelling 20 miles back and forth to uni for the last couple of years. It is simply a question of whether the advantages of living out outweigh the disadvantages. Then again, we haven't got that many universities, so there was less of a choice.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.