The Student Room Group

Do you regret any of your A Level Options?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. No, don't regret it at all, all ridiculously easy.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've seen the thread for GCSEs, and I was wondering which subjects do people regret.

I'm in year eleven, so can't really say I regret doing A Levels.

So, if you could write the subject you regret and reasons why, you might end up saving someone from going through the same ordeal!

I regret doing Religious Studies for AS, subject was such a waste of time.
Reply 42
Original post by member591354
English literature to replace english language, and possibly an additional AS (mathematics) too.

That sounds better! I'd choose lit over Lang... :smile:

Original post by GeneralOJB
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. No, don't regret it at all, all ridiculously easy.

Yay! :woo:

Original post by IdeasForLife
I regret doing Religious Studies for AS, subject was such a waste of time.

:lol: I'm not inclined to say I disagree... RS sucks..
Physics :afraid:
That sounds better! I'd choose lit over Lang... :smile:

Yay! :woo:

:lol: I'm not inclined to say I disagree... RS sucks..

4/5 people in my RS class were Muslim, noone got above a C in the Islam exam lol. I hated how the teacher taught the Islam class, was so unbelieving time wasting, I probably could've skipped every lesson and got the same grade I did in the exam.
Highest in the philosophy exam was 91/100 tho.
Reply 45
I've seen the thread for GCSEs, and I was wondering which subjects do people regret.

So, if you could write the subject you regret and reasons why, you might end up saving someone from going through the same ordeal!

History and Politics eugh I HATED these subjects with a passion once I did them for at A-Level, GCSE History was great but then I got to college and BAM a whole lot of regret. So in AS I dropped Politics but had to keep doing History and came out with a C in it
Reply 46

What subjects do you plan to choose? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by IdeasForLife
4/5 people in my RS class were Muslim, noone got above a C in the Islam exam lol. I hated how the teacher taught the Islam class, was so unbelieving time wasting, I probably could've skipped every lesson and got the same grade I did in the exam.
Highest in the philosophy exam was 91/100 tho.

:rofl: makes sense ay.

Original post by -SJ-
History and Politics eugh I HATED these subjects with a passion once I did them for at A-Level, GCSE History was great but then I got to college and BAM a whole lot of regret. So in AS I dropped Politics but had to keep doing History and came out with a C in it

Ah, read below. I like History A lot!! Politics meh.

Original post by Eager bug
What subjects do you plan to choose? :smile:

I'm doing History AS and Mathematics A2 this year early. I've already done a History Exam and got an A.

Then Chemistry,Physics,F.Mathematics and French.
Reply 48

I'm doing History AS and Mathematics A2 this year early. I've already done a History Exam and got an A.

Then Chemistry,Physics,F.Mathematics and French.

:eek: Wow how did you get to do them so early?
Reply 49
I originally took Maths, Biology, History and English Literature. I sat down in my first English literature class and they shoved about a list of 80 books in my face, no exaggeration, and said I needed to read these to get a C. Then proceeded to spend the next hour going through what a sentence is. The thought of being there for a year made me seriously unhappy, so I changed my options to geography. I'm very happy now.

its my own fault. I don't know what possessed me to chose English literature without realising I would have to do a lot of background reading. (I do read, but I'm very fussy about what I read XD)
Reply 50
I took Critical Thinking through to A Level. I got a U in the A Level paper I think, a C over all as I got almost full marks in the As paper.
I regret doing Music, should have done Physics or English Lit
Reply 52
Original post by Eager bug
:eek: Wow how did you get to do them so early?

Mathematics I did in year ten. And history I did in year nine. I achieved A*s in both.

So teacher said I can do AS History and so I did.

Maths I told myself C1-4 and M1 in the holidays and asked if I could do it :d
Reply 53
I regretted AS Philosophy so much. Because philosophy.
Reply 54
i regret doing chemistry! Its because i got an A* in GCSE i thought i could get an A/B in AS! Ended up with a C! Its much harder than what it thought it would be !
Reply 56
Not so much a regret taking, but I regret NOT taking physics. I want to do chemistry at uni, and I've got the 2 sciences + maths (chem&bio), but I'm pretty sure physics would have been awfully useful. I had an horrendous teacher at GCSE, got awful marks in all mocks, pulled myself together and got an A* through self learning, and a little bit of me enjoyed it, even if I would never consider taking it further (as a standalone subject) than A level.
I did take Further Maths on as a fifth, had to drop it. I think I could have done it but I'm more than a little lazy :rolleyes:
Biology (which you might not be planning on) is irritatingly pedantic, and in order to pass the exams you don't just have to know the stuff, you need to learn the markschemes. Perfectly doable, and once I got into the "well screw you, I'll just not bother learning and stick to the markshcemes then" I got full UMS in a resit. I don't regret it, but I just wish I could do well by understanding the concepts, rather than having to spout back word-perfect answers.
Love chemistry. Love music. (despite the composition marking being more than a little iffy at times)
English Literature. It was unforgivably boring, and happened to be my worst grade (despite my A at GCSE). :frown:
Reply 58
In terms of AS levels, I regret taking Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I dropped two this year (having picked up an one year course) so I'm stuck with Economics. Seriously, do subjects that you actually have an interest in and do well in.
Reply 59
Really wish that I'd taken Biology instead of Philosophy & Ethics. It would have complemented my Psychology rather well...and P&E was so...bleh

Quick Reply

Latest