Turn on thread page Beta

realistically, what are my chances? watch

ReputationRep:
    i am interested in applying to cambridge for architecture for entry in 2005. out of interest, how much do they take gcse results into account? i am aiming for all A's in my AS levels and am studying English Literature, History and Art (And Product Design though I am not continuing this to A2 Level). I achieved 4 A* and 6 A grades at gcse. I know grades are not everything, but are these results likely to get me an interview, or do they expect a somewhat longer string of A* grades? My A* grades were achieved in English Language, Double Award Science and Music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookintomyeyes)
    i am interested in applying to cambridge for architecture for entry in 2005. out of interest, how much do they take gcse results into account? i am aiming for all A's in my AS levels and am studying English Literature, History and Art (And Product Design though I am not continuing this to A2 Level). I achieved 4 A* and 6 A grades at gcse. I know grades are not everything, but are these results likely to get me an interview, or do they expect a somewhat longer string of A* grades? My A* grades were achieved in English Language, Double Award Science and Music.

fairly good, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    well you've got better grades than me, wonder what they're going to say about you dropping product design though, it does seem more relevant than english lit.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    you did'nt get an A* at GCSE art?? That will put you at a disadvantage, but if there is a good excuse for it - then go for it, u neva kno, just make sure your portfolio is AMAZING.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    you did'nt get an A* at GCSE art?? That will put you at a disadvantage, but if there is a good excuse for it - then go for it, u neva kno, just make sure your portfolio is AMAZING.
    school art is far too subjectively marked </bitter>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    well nobody in our school achieved A* even though some of us got full marks. there was a major marking error which was somewhat overlooked by our art teachers, who did not give us enough time to appeal or complain to the board. which many were bitter about and rightly so.

as for dropping product design, the prospectus says that cambridge favours A Level art over the likes of prpduct design - technology based subjects like these do not seem to be favoured particularly highly. and they seem to want a nice mix of a levels. also english lit is a good a level for any degree you enter in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Did you go to a private or state school? If you went to a state school and achieved those grades then I reckon they'd take you pretty seriously. As for dropping a subject, I did and I still got an offer. I don't think it matters massively. What is more important is your interview, any work you have to submit before hand, your personal statement... that sort of thing... Plus, they interview almost everyone! If you are from a private school then I really don't know.

ReputationRep:
    congrats on ur GCSEz...kinda gud...i got 2 A*s and the rest A's....but applied to cambridge for architecture.......surprisingly they didnt even call me for an interview (open application)....i do product design (A2), Art (AS), English Literature (AS) and ICT (A2)............also Cisco Systems ....which doesnt give UCAS points.......maybe dats y?.....dey just wudnt say - even wen my teacher phoned dem up....such an arrogant place!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:

I think you need to do Maths or Physics in order to architecture....last time i checked anyway...

ReputationRep:
    not necessairiliy, you could choose the architechtural design angle, which is why they want a level art- think as long as ur gcse maths is good you'll b ok

ReputationRep:
    I got 6A*'s and 3A's which is only slightly different to yours, so you should be fine. Did you do art and product design gsces? if so they might ask why you didn't get an A* in them? So be prepared Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I got 6 A's and 4 A*'s too! These grades are fine. I got an interview and was pooled but didn't get a place. But I am sure that this wasn't because of my grades; they send you feedback after interview, and it was because of my interview/exam (they both sucked) whereas a friend of mine who got lower grades was told that was a factor. So do lots of work and I am sure you will be fine!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.