Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, there is no law giving a minimum age when a child can be left in the house alone. At what age do you think some-one can be left alone - during the working day - and - overnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big mama)
    Apparently, there is no law giving a minimum age when a child can be left in the house alone. At what age do you think some-one can be left alone - during the working day - and - overnight.
    if there is food in the house and it is easily accessable? depends on what you want the state of the house to be when you return :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was at age 12/13 you could be left at home alone, then at 14 you can look after others (babysit)

ReputationRep:

I personally think that during a working day a child should be left alone if they are about 14+.....
    Obviously if it is overnight then the age shout be 16+ as children this age arte much more responsible!!!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the kid i reckon no two kids are the same , you may have 3 kids ,say they are 12,14 and 16 ,you may find that your 12 year old is mentally more mature than your 16 year old

ReputationRep:
    Great film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KizzieB)
    It depends on the kid i reckon no two kids are the same , you may have 3 kids ,say they are 12,14 and 16 ,you may find that your 12 year old is mentally more mature than your 16 year old
    I agree, it does depend on how mature the child is, aswell as if there are younger siblings in the house that they are suppose to be looking after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KizzieB)
    yer, i was left alone in the house when i was about 11+ (both my parents were working and my sister had a study group).

ReputationRep:
    It's up to the parents and the children. I was always annoyed that my parents wouldn't trust me to look after my younger brother overnight, even when I was sixteen. It's only now that I'm 19, that my mum feels she can go away overnight and leave us alone :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was left alone during half term during the day when my mum was at work, I was 7. Things were great except for one incident where someone kept ringing and hanging up and i thought it was some psychopathic axe murderer and rang everyone telling em i was scared then went and stayed with my neighbours. Mum had to come home early and a couple people i rang came over to see if everything was ok.
    It was after all my dad who was trying to ring but the phone was just playing up and not letting him talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I was left alone during half term during the day when my mum was at work, I was 7. Things were great except for one incident where someone kept ringing and hanging up and i thought it was some psychopathic axe murderer and rang everyone telling em i was scared then went and stayed with my neighbours. Mum had to come home early and a couple people i rang came over to see if everything was ok.
    It was after all my dad who was trying to ring but the phone was just playing up and not letting him talk.
    when i was left at home, i just got told the basic rule.

Don't answer the door or the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my twin sister got the house to ourselves for a week when we were 16 while our parents went on holiday. We were perfectly fine, but I think having two of you makes a difference. I wouldn't have wanted to be by myself for the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Me and my twin sister got the house to ourselves for a week when we were 16 while our parents went on holiday. We were perfectly fine, but I think having two of you makes a difference. I wouldn't have wanted to be by myself for the week.
    I've been by myself for three days. I didn't find it so bad.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are bigger concerns in the world right now...

ReputationRep:
    10 - left alone for short periods
    12 - left alone all day
    14 - can babysit other kids
    15 - can stay alone at night
    Sound about right???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    I think that there are bigger concerns in the world right now...
    Yes there are
    So we decide what is the biggest concern and only debate that?
    Never talk about anything else ever?
    Never help out anyone who has a query unless it matches the ultimate concern?
    You could put your quote on just about every post and we would get nowhere fast.
    How pompous.
    By the way, thanks to everyone else who replied.

ReputationRep:
    I was always told that it was against the law to leave a child under 16 alone in a house.

ReputationRep:
    I've been left alone for a day loads of times, and I always wished it was longer *sigh*

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.