Why do people take pictures of everything?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
GoingInsane
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've noticed that people seem to take pictures of everthing and anything these days. Like most days when I'm out, I see people taking pictures of themselves, their friends, their food, their pets and just random things.

I know most people have a camera on their phone so it is easy to do but really is there a point in taking a photo of every mundane little thing, it just seems a little strange.
SpiggyTopes
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
I can't understand either. The only thing I can think of is that the Japanese are rubbing off on us...

... Asian invasion!
singh224
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Instagram maybe?
GemmyMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Because it gives them memories in a physical form, captures the world around them.

Ok, food seems a little far to me, but the rest I get.
spiral87
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
I can't understand either. The only thing I can think of is that the Chinese are rubbing off on us...

... Asian invasion!
The Japanese take pictures of everything. The Chinese just make the cameras.
Arekkusu
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I can see why people do it, it's a bit of a sorry sight when you realise how paltry your Facebook photos are, but God only knows how they've got the energy or how it even crosses their minds to take a photo.
Redolent
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
When people are more bothered about checking how an event unfolding before them looks on their camera than they are about the event itself, something has gone very wrong.
ch0llima
Badges: 16
Report 9 years ago
Instagram and Facebook. I remember back in the old days before social networking, you could go on a night out and not a camera in sight. It was bliss.

Nowadays, people will take crap photos of absolutely anything ("HAHAHA LOOK AT THE LETTER I GOT FROM MY LANDLORD BECAUSE I HAVENT PAID MY RENT AGAIN LOL") and it's "73 likes" and "15 cretinous and smug comments" after about three minutes.
g_star_raw_1989
Report 9 years ago
I know what you mean, I know people who are really trigger happy with the camera. Everywhere you go, you see someone with a camera taking a picture of everything; don't people stop and take things in any more and even try to just remember them. Does experience really have to be documented and saved on a camera or PC and do people really look at that s***t.

Are peoples lives so dull that they sit around looking at things they already did? I remember going to a concert a few months back and watching the mooks around me watching it through their phone screens. I mean you're there why watch it through a 5 inch screen when its all around you. I don't buy this "capture the moment" crap; you're in the moment- experience it, don't f*****g capture it.

What it is with these tourists of life?
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
I know what you mean, I know people who are really trigger happy with the camera. Everywhere you go, you see someone with a camera taking a picture of everything; don't people stop and take things in any more and even try to just remember them. Does experience really have to be documented and saved on a camera or PC and do people really look at that s***t.

Are peoples lives so dull that they sit around looking at things they already did? I remember going to a concert a few months back and watching the mooks around me watching it through their phone screens. I mean you're there why watch it through a 5 inch screen when its all around you. I don't buy this "capture the moment" crap; you're in the moment- experience it, don't f*****g capture it.

What it is with these tourists of life.
Maybe they want to show it to somebody else?
g_star_raw_1989
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Genocidal)
Maybe they want to show it to somebody else?
Maybe. Depends what you value you more - enjoying the moment or enjoying people knowing that you were doing whatever you've documented.
WarriorInAWig
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Erm... I only take pictures of things I find unusual when I'm out and about. I also take a picture record of every station I've been too. Sometimes I feel self-conscious about it as I find some people would tag me as a train-spotter which couldn't be further from the truth.
Scumbaggio
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I find it hilarious when you go to a gig and see people filming it on their phone.

Do they not realise that it's going to look awful? Just buy the DVD.

I also have no understanding of the people who have thousands and thousand of facebook photos documenting a load of almost identical nights.

I think I've got about 170 photos and I've had facebook since about 2007.
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Stewie sums this up perfectly:

No Man
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
To try and display how significant their (usually insignificant) lives are to everyone to make them feel less significant.

I don't bother though, since it's mostly a pointless show of pretentiousness.
>Untitled<
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Because every single moment of their life must be documented and put on facebook for people who don't give a flying **** to see.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Because somewhere along the line, owning a camera became instantly equal to being a photographer, and people take photos of everything because they need the world to see just how good of a photographer they are.

I see it as an inferiority thing; they merely want acceptance, and think that this is the best way to get it.

Don't get me wrong, I take pictures of odd things at times, but I rarely feel the need to share them with the world and his wife.
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Basically it satisfies the natural collector in us for free.
nombo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
People are insecure, and want other people to see how much fun they're having.
Kermoner
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
**** you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (153)
29.48%
It went fairly well (245)
47.21%
It didn't go too well (78)
15.03%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.29%

Watched Threads