The Student Room Group

OCR AS English Literature

Hi,
I'm doing OCR AS english literature, and i've become slightly worried at the fact that the grade boundaries are so high to achieve an A. In the june 2012 exam an A grade was 53/60. this is almost 90%, and this seems really high. how hard is the AS exam and the coursework? and if you've already done it what did you get? thanks :smile:
Reply 1
What texts are you doing? I did Death of a Salesman and Carter and Duffy for coursework and Turn of the Screw + Emily Dickinson for the exam text. The coursework isn't difficult as such, it's just a bit tedious to fit in all the criteria whilst getting in the correct words.

I came out with an A in the end. If you need any help, give me a shout :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sannn
What texts are you doing? I did Death of a Salesman and Carter and Duffy for coursework and Turn of the Screw + Emily Dickinson for the exam text. The coursework isn't difficult as such, it's just a bit tedious to fit in all the criteria whilst getting in the correct words.

I came out with an A in the end. If you need any help, give me a shout :smile:

thanks for the reply :smile:

for the coursework, we're doing Disgrace, Tsotsi and Seamus Heaney poems, and for the exam we're doing The Picture of Dorian Gray and Emily Dickinson. if you don't mind me asking, what ums did you get individually for the coursework and the exam? thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by EL77
thanks for the reply :smile:

for the coursework, we're doing Disgrace, Tsotsi and Seamus Heaney poems, and for the exam we're doing The Picture of Dorian Gray and Emily Dickinson. if you don't mind me asking, what ums did you get individually for the coursework and the exam? thanks again :smile:

I got 86 ums for the coursework and 92 for the exam :smile:
That's a rough estimate, as my results sheet doesn't say the UMS specifically :/ but it was a high A
Reply 4
Original post by Sannn
I got 86 ums for the coursework and 92 for the exam :smile:
That's a rough estimate, as my results sheet doesn't say the UMS specifically :/ but it was a high A

wow well done, but the coursework was only out of 80 though, and how did you find the exam overall?
Reply 5
Original post by EL77
wow well done, but the coursework was only out of 80 though, and how did you find the exam overall?

I'm bad at estimating :colondollar: Not really sure then, I got 13/15 for my first coursework and 22/25 for my second...so you do the maths? :tongue: I'm awful with UMS conversion.

In all honesty I was bricking it for the exam, I wasn't really prepared. I memorized some really useful quotes and read up some critic's interpretations of the Turn of the Screw before. I really have NO idea how I got the mark I did, I really think I just got a very kind marker :3 I found the exam OK though. It could have been worse, but could've been better.
Reply 6
The boundaries are definitely creeping up, I really fear for the A2 ones this year :nooo: The exam is not too bad, you don't get a choice of poetry question so make sure you revise that well, but you do get a choice of two for prose. Personally I hate coursework but since it was fairly short it wasn't too bad, you do have a bit of a job fitting in the word limit though! I got 74/80 in the coursework and 106/120 in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending