Turn on thread page Beta

Are you racist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm a bit racist, certain cultures annoy me i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I guess I am abit racist - my personal experiences have made it hard for me to keep an open mind on the issue.

Is this racist towards certain cultures? or just coloured people in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    i'm everso slightly racist..
    Because some ppl have an irritating culture and expect you to adopt it... :mad: , when they r in a minority!!

who expects youto adopt it??

I think your jumping ahead of yourself there. Why would they want to push a perfectly good culture on to the likes of not so open minded, petty people like who, who are UNABLE to think outside the box.

ReputationRep:
    ummm i like to describe afro-american people as 'black gaiiis' like they do in many a film........ does that make me racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)

I think your jumping ahead of yourself there. Why would they want to push a perfectly good culture on to the likes of not so open minded, petty people like who, who are UNABLE to think outside the box.
    If i were to say it maybe few members would be offended, as they would consider it sterotyping.
    I'd limit it to a continent
    Asia :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In this country, we are told everything is acceptable except discriminatory behaviour.

Oh the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anu)

Who's being not so open minded now... it is possible to be open minded and come to a conclusion that some cultures are annoying,.. when i see old chine ladies spitting i wanna slap them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    You're absolutely right, not really liking another culture isn't the same as racism. Each culture has its own customs and morality that are usually alien to other cultures. I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking what other people do.
    Ya everyone says they hate our western culture but they all immigrate here so it can't be that bad and if you keep complaining leave

ReputationRep:
    Probably out of some kind of guilt for taking advantage of the rest of the world to get where we are today
    hehe, I can see where this may lead...

ReputationRep:
    I do admit that I have had racist thoughts before but that's about it really. All in the mind. I guess it's because my parents have brought me up to not trust complete strangers and not so much with those from other cultures/religions. I sometimes also generalise a certain race for something because whenever I see people do something I don't like, it's mostly from that race. Anyways, like I said before, it's just thoughts, thoughts which just happen spontaneously and ones that you can't just switch off.

ReputationRep:
    Its true don't you think?
    Yes it probably is actually.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think I am... I've never thought the negative thoughts in question. I have never really come into contact with anyone of a different rac to me tho, but when my friend (who is intensly racist) goes on I do get affronted and defend people... I don't like to see anyone disriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    i don't think I am... I've never thought the negative thoughts in question. I have never really come into contact with anyone of a different rac to me tho, but when my friend (who is intensly racist) goes on I do get affronted and defend people... I don't like to see anyone disriminated against.
    where do you live? alabama?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    where do you live? alabama?
    no, come from woking in surrey originally and strange as it may seem I've never really come into contact with people of diff cultures, or had friends different to me. They've been at my school or whatever, but they keep pretty much to themselves back home. Its really odd now I think about it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    no, come from woking in surrey originally and strange as it may seem I've never really come into contact with people of diff cultures, or had friends different to me. They've been at my school or whatever, but they keep pretty much to themselves back home. Its really odd now I think about it!!!
    I think it is literally impossible for me to go one day without seeing at least one person from a differnt culture. im one of like 30 white kids at my high school

ReputationRep:
    Saying black people are better at 100 metre sprinting than white people is a racist comment... correct?

Hence saying that comment makes me racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Saying black people are better at 100 metre sprinting than white people is a racist comment... correct?

Hence saying that comment makes me racist.
    i dunno depends on the context kinda doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Only because the dictionary definition is a bit daft.
    So am I racist?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    LOL makes you wonder if the definition is wrong... or if our interpretation is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The definition is wrong in my opinion - black people are definitely better sprinters than white people, but saying so is racist by the dictionary, yet clearly not in reality. It would be foolish to think that there are no differences between the races, as there clearly are.
    But is it a mere social construct that racism is automatically bad?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.