The Student Room Group

Need to Terminate UNITE contract

I have been living in the Forge (Sheffield) since the start of the academic year and was planning on living there for the whole academic year. However it has come to my attention that i cant afford to pay rent for the 2nd semester. This is because both my parents have lost their jobs in the last 2/3 weeks. They would've made funds available for me to help pay the accommodation but they can't because most of their salaries contributes towards my younger brother's chemotherapy treatment.

I rang the national Unite helpline and they said that it could be cancelled under 'exception circumstances'. I am sure this constitutes as an exception circumstance.

I need to visit reception when it opens tomorrow to explain this. Do I have a case?

Many Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Whether or not it counts as exceptional will be decided by unite - a private company with a vested interest in saying no.

On a separate note, however, you need to contact student finance and get the means testing reassessed (I forget what the form is called, but it's the one you use when household income drops by >15%)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by miteshmistry5
I have been living in the Forge (Sheffield) since the start of the academic year and was planning on living there for the whole academic year. However it has come to my attention that i cant afford to pay rent for the 2nd semester. This is because both my parents have lost their jobs in the last 2/3 weeks. They would've made funds available for me to help pay the accommodation but they can't because most of their salaries contributes towards my younger brother's chemotherapy treatment.

I rang the national Unite helpline and they said that it could be cancelled under 'exception circumstances'. I am sure this constitutes as an exception circumstance.

I need to visit reception when it opens tomorrow to explain this. Do I have a case?

Many Thanks

Hi miteshmistry5,

I've sent you a response to your PM, let me know if you need anything else.

Frankie
Hi Mitestmistry5, I am wondering if you can share how you got on. I also have knowledge of a friends situation where exceptional circumstance to terminate the agreement with Unite would be applicable but despite ringing the helpline Unite they have been really unhelpful and on this matter. On one occasion they just hung up. This is clearly very unprofessional and certainly not assisting the situation in fact it is just making the individual concerned unbearable.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I cant believe that Unite have no empathy towards unexpected situations that occur and have a profound impact in on an individual.

Many Thanks
Original post by butterfly11111
Hi Mitestmistry5, I am wondering if you can share how you got on. I also have knowledge of a friends situation where exceptional circumstance to terminate the agreement with Unite would be applicable but despite ringing the helpline Unite they have been really unhelpful and on this matter. On one occasion they just hung up. This is clearly very unprofessional and certainly not assisting the situation in fact it is just making the individual concerned unbearable.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I cant believe that Unite have no empathy towards unexpected situations that occur and have a profound impact in on an individual.

Many Thanks

Hi butterfly11111,

My names Frankie, I work for UNITE. I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful.

If you send me a PM with some details about where your friend is living I can arrange for them to speak to a member of the team at their accommodation and discuss their situation.

We encourage students to speak to us about any changes in their circumstances and have strong links with university welfare officers to provide help and support through difficult times.

Frankie
Reply 5
I am also in the same position. I am trying to leave but Unite are making it so difficult! How do I leave without paying or finding a replacement, as I have tried and tried to find one but with no luck! :frown:
Tasha
Original post by Tashaaaaa
I am also in the same position. I am trying to leave but Unite are making it so difficult! How do I leave without paying or finding a replacement, as I have tried and tried to find one but with no luck! :frown:
Tasha

Hi Tashaaaaa,

I've replied to your PM with some advice.

I hope this helps,

Frankie
Reply 7
Original post by UNITE Student Accommodation
Hi Tashaaaaa,

I've replied to your PM with some advice.

I hope this helps,

Frankie

What happens if you cant afford to pay your rent? I want to leave my accommodation but not sure how they said I need to find a replacement but I can't? just wondering if you could help
Heidi
Original post by Heidi x
What happens if you cant afford to pay your rent? I want to leave my accommodation but not sure how they said I need to find a replacement but I can't? just wondering if you could help
Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your message.

Which property do you live in? You need to discuss your situation with the team in your accommodation, I can arrange a time for this if you'd like me to?

Thanks,

Frankie
Reply 9
My name is Kevin, I am also in the same situation. I've spoken to one of the UNITE team that there are TWO CIRCUMSTANCES that you could terminate your contract.

The circumstances are:

Dropping out of University

Hospitalised

I already dropped out of university because of financial issues and my guarantor which is my mum is also struggling because she also got bills to pay.

BUT in other forums/threads people are saying that if you drop out of UNI you are still liable to pay the WHOLE academic year which I can't afford and also student finance will be cancelled as I'm no longer a student.

I just want to confirm if this is true because I can't really afford to pay if they demand me to pay the whole rent that's why I dropped out of uni and SACRIFICED my education.

Thank you very much if you could help me out with my situation.
Original post by kcarl
My name is Kevin, I am also in the same situation. I've spoken to one of the UNITE team that there are TWO CIRCUMSTANCES that you could terminate your contract.

The circumstances are:

Hospitalised

I already dropped out of university because of financial issues and my guarantor which is my mum is also struggling because she also got bills to pay.

BUT in other forums/threads people are saying that if you drop out of UNI you are still liable to pay the WHOLE academic year which I can't afford and also student finance will be cancelled as I'm no longer a student.

I just want to confirm if this is true because I can't really afford to pay if they demand me to pay the whole rent that's why I dropped out of uni and SACRIFICED my education.

Hi Kevin,

Which accommodation were you living in? If you can send me a PM with your contact details I can get one of our advisor's to give you a call and discuss your situation?

Thanks,

Frankie
Reply 11
I am currently in the same position, I cant find a replacement tenant and just want to go home.
I didn't think that it would be so hard to just go home, it's hard enough being in a different city miles away from home but when i want to leave i'm basically being forced to stay. I live in Newarke Point Leicester and I have contacted he reception and they said they can't help me as they have rooms somewhere else that need to be filled first. Please Help
Original post by kcarl

The circumstances are:

Hospitalised

Read your contract. Unless it says that you will no longer be liable for rent if you drop out of uni, then they could take you / your mum to court for the money, if you don't pay.

This is why I tell people to go into uni owned halls - because do release you from the contract if you drop out.
Hello, I am currently living in an UNITE accommodation here in Leeds at the Plaza. I need to move out in December and I cannot find a replacement at all. I seriously won't be financially able to pay for semester 2 because I am going to study abroad in USA and paying rent there. Is there anyway I can terminate my contract. I simply can't find anyone to replace me as a tenant.

My parents won't have the funds to pay either and I would be in serious trouble as I will simply not afford to pay any rent for the Plaza as I will be abroad. Thank you.

EDIT - I did not know I was going to study abroad when I applied for this accommodation, I only decided to go right after my contract started and was not an opportunity I could miss!

Ronil Kumar
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ruth7
I am currently in the same position, I cant find a replacement tenant and just want to go home.
I didn't think that it would be so hard to just go home, it's hard enough being in a different city miles away from home but when i want to leave i'm basically being forced to stay. I live in Newarke Point Leicester and I have contacted he reception and they said they can't help me as they have rooms somewhere else that need to be filled first. Please Help

Hi Ruth,

I've replied to the PM you sent me.

Thanks, Frankie
Original post by r.kumar3533
Hello, I am currently living in an UNITE accommodation here in Leeds at the Plaza. I need to move out in December and I cannot find a replacement at all. I seriously won't be financially able to pay for semester 2 because I am going to study abroad in USA and paying rent there. Is there anyway I can terminate my contract. I simply can't find anyone to replace me as a tenant.

My parents won't have the funds to pay either and I would be in serious trouble as I will simply not afford to pay any rent for the Plaza as I will be abroad. Thank you.

EDIT - I did not know I was going to study abroad when I applied for this accommodation, I only decided to go right after my contract started and was not an opportunity I could miss!

Ronil Kumar

Hi Ronil,

I've replied to the PM you sent me.

Thanks, Frankie
Can some of you that were in this situation PM me and tell me what happened after talking to UNITE? Just so that I can prepare myself what to expect when I go and talk to them later..
Reply 17
I also desperately need to leave I don't want to be here anymoremy mother is also ill and I want to go back to help ! Help!
Original post by nainaa3
I also desperately need to leave I don't want to be here anymoremy mother is also ill and I want to go back to help ! Help!

Hi nainaa3,

My name is Frankie, I work for UNITE.

If you let me know which property you are staying in and your name & contact details I can arrange for you to speak to a member of the UNITE team where you live about your situation to see how we can help?

Thanks,
Frankie
Reply 19
My email address is [mod edit - it is advised that you do not post e-mail adresses on the open forum] if you can contact me on my email so that I can explain my whole situation I have spoken to the reception many times and they are no help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending