Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The history results from Edexcel have been completely screwed up at both of the campuses at our college. No-one got an A, one person got a B, everyone else got less than a C (the majority being Ds, Es and Us).

I personally got a U. This seems bizarre as, without wishing to sound like a git, Ive never managed to get a U EVER in an exam, mock, coursework, test, homework, etc, etc. I got all A's in my AS's and I got full marks in both my history courseworks, so to get a U seems strange to say the least. Everyone who is predicted an A got a U or an E (including a couple who've got Oxbridge offers), and one guy who is predicted a D got the highest mark in the class (a B). Im still on an average of 77% across all modules though, so Im not too upset.

Edexcel have f*cked up like this too often (remember the marked down english papers 2 years ago, or the unanswerable pure maths question?!?). This is a very pressured and sensitive time for many students and Edexcel appear not to give a stuff. Thats why our Students Union is planning to boycott them.

Has this happened to anyone else?? Perhaps all 100+ students at both our campuses have just become stupider!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    The history results from Edexcel have been completely screwed up at both of the campuses at our college. No-one got an A, one person got a B, everyone else got less than a C (the majority being Ds, Es and Us).

I personally got a U. This seems bizarre as, without wishing to sound like a git, Ive never managed to get a U EVER in an exam, mock, coursework, test, homework, etc, etc. I got all A's in my AS's and I got full marks in both my history courseworks, so to get a U seems strange to say the least. Everyone who is predicted an A got a U or an E (including a couple who've got Oxbridge offers), and one guy who is predicted a D got the highest mark in the class (a B). Im still on an average of 77% across all modules though, so Im not too upset.

Edexcel have f*cked up like this too often (remember the marked down english papers 2 years ago, or the unanswerable pure maths question?!?). This is a very pressured and sensitive time for many students and Edexcel appear not to give a stuff. Thats why our Students Union is planning to boycott them.

Has this happened to anyone else?? Perhaps all 100+ students at both our campuses have just become stupider!!!

Wow, that must SUCK. It also makes me really worried for my history result next Thursday, even if I'm on OCR. Are you planning to get a remark?

Thursday will be interesting, I am now very thankful that my uni future does not hinge on my History grade or I would be very worried right about now. Have your college considered a group remark? Lasy year the highest grade in my college for a module in computing was something stupid like a C. However after a remark, the grade shot up and looked more realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Thursday will be interesting, I am now very thankful that my uni future does not hinge on my History grade or I would be very worried right about now. Have your college considered a group remark? Lasy year the highest grade in my college for a module in computing was something stupid like a C. However after a remark, the grade shot up and looked more realistic.
    Our college has already launched a complaint and has sent of 10 sample papers for remarks (including mine and all the others who got Us instead of predicted As and Bs). If it seems that they are all stupidly marked, then the whole college gets theirs remarked. However, our lecturer seems to suspect it may simply be a mistake in administration at Edexcel. When looking down the alphabetical list of names, 4 people in a row got 33 (including me) and 3 people in a row got the same mark elsewhere on the list. Although not wanting display my woefully dire mathematical skills, Im sure the probability of that happening runs into the 100s!

Im not actually too bothered at the moment because a) Im still on a very high B, and I need AAB to do law at Kings (my first choice) and b) I know they've made a mistake! The thing is, exam boards aren't always too keen to admit to making mistakes, especially Edexcel which has messed up so many times before.

To the person worried about their OCR History grade, this shouldnt have any effect on your grade at all. Exam boards dont really interact when marking papers (even if they are the same subject). If it does mess up, it will be a completely isolated scenario from whatever happened at Edexcel - thus theres as much chance of a mess up with your history as there is in any subject.

ReputationRep:
    Which paper did you do? I did the Russia in Revolution (AS) paper and was dissapointed to find that I had only achieved a D, at the time I'd felt that the exam had gone quite well and in mock papers I had been getting quite good marks (around B grades). I'm really annoyed that I'm going to have to re-sit this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Which paper did you do? I did the Russia in Revolution (AS) paper and was dissapointed to find that I had only achieved a D, at the time I'd felt that the exam had gone quite well and in mock papers I had been getting quite good marks (around B grades). I'm really annoyed that I'm going to have to re-sit this.
    Sorry, I should have pointed that out. I did the A2 "America in South East Asia" paper. Its actually not that hard a paper. Personally, I felt it was easier than the Russia paper you did in January (and i did last summer). If everyone else in your class got strange results then its worth asking whether you can send a few samples back for remark, and possibly get a centre remark. If you feel its just yours, then just send yours off for a remark.

Beware though, it can be an expensive route. As I have never sent off for a remark until last week, I dont know exactly how much it costs, but I think its about £25 a remark. I have a friend who had to have her paper remarked 3 times until they finally admitted to their grave misgrading and put up the mark by 3 grades! Im quite lucky as the LEA or college or someone has agreed to pay for our remarks as their is clearly something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just glad I'm doing OCR

(although I think I've done crap anyway)

ReputationRep:

To the person worried about their OCR History grade, this shouldnt have any effect on your grade at all. Exam boards dont really interact when marking papers (even if they are the same subject). If it does mess up, it will be a completely isolated scenario from whatever happened at Edexcel - thus theres as much chance of a mess up with your history as there is in any subject.
    I hope you're right. I really want to get the USA paper out of the way and just concentrate on the Russia one for the summer. Plus I hated the USA module and I never want to look at it again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm just glad I'm doing OCR
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but really, you shouldn't be.

They've got an awful track record too.

(edited because kildare is a pedant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but really, you shouldn't be.

They've got an awful track record too.

(edited because kildare is a pedant)
    That's what I thought... wasn't OCR History one of the main reasons behind that big row over A Level results a couple of years ago?

ReputationRep:

this makes me a little worried.i havnt taken any history modules this jan, but other ppl i know have done retakes that they are waiting for. my offer relies on me getting a b in history with edexcel in the summer - aagghh! (although i could get this in general studies, i think i'm more likely to suddenly take up maths and get an a than get a b in general studies)
    the reason we do edexcel history is cos ocr cocked up history so much recently!!! i'm hoping that i will be ok cos i somehow got a good a grade for as & iv got an a for my c/w.

ReputationRep:
    that's a teeny tiny bit worrying.. I did Edexcel A2 Mussolini in Power paper in January.. waiting on results this Thursday.. really banking on a good mark..

Actually, not sure why I can't have the results, our college is giving them out all on Thursday.. Is this just my college being a wankstain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    That's what I thought... wasn't OCR History one of the main reasons behind that big row over A Level results a couple of years ago?
    Ok...now I'm worried.

I think I messed up anyway. Will almost definately be retaking it

ReputationRep:
    i have a feeling they screwed around with the A2 physics edecel B paper.... damn them if they did....

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry. I really didnt mean to scare people. This is probably just an isolated error. 99% will be fine. Im sure everyone will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wondered what the outcome of this was in the end? I got an uncharacteristically low mark in January so am resitting Unit 4 on Monday. Just wondered whether there were errors and how things got sorted out?

(Original post by slowjamz)
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wondered what the outcome of this was in the end? I got an uncharacteristically low mark in January so am resitting Unit 4 on Monday. Just wondered whether there were errors and how things got sorted out?
    I ended up getting an A (just), so apparently it must have been an isolated incident. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I got my mark moved to a C (I'm on an A overall), but I'm still resitting it on Monday. Suprisingly few people actually had their grades changed. The tutor said the main reason mine was changed was probably because mine was one of the papers the college requested to look at. Exam boards really don't like being wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I got my mark moved to a C (I'm on an A overall), but I'm still resitting it on Monday. Suprisingly few people actually had their grades changed. The tutor said the main reason mine was changed was probably because mine was one of the papers the college requested to look at. Exam boards really don't like being wrong!
    They better not do that this year! I need an average of 80% to get an A still, gay. Is this the Elizabethan England unit?

ReputationRep:
    Typical EDEXCEL.
    Not only have they got a stupid name, they don't even do what they are paid to do properly.
    Its about time HMG removed their licence to set exams. It is doing no end of harm to the image of the eduction system.
    Rant over!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.