The Student Room Group

Petroleum engineering or chemical engineering????

Hi, i am almost done with my UCAS but having second thoughts whether to study petroleum eng or chemical eng, my colleagues have told me petroleum would not be a big industry in 20 years as we are converting to resources such as wind power, nuclear etc.

My Choices in ucas are
Portsmouth- Petroleum eng
Leeds- Petroleum eng
Manchester- Petroleum eng
Coventry- Oil and gas management (as they do not do petroleum engineering)
Loughborough- Chemical engineering

Does It matter if I apply to three different courses? which are all related (all under chemistry)
i was considering to do a bachelor in petroleum engineering and do a Msc in Chemical engineering would this benefit me??
i suggest you do chemical engineering at lougbhorough, as by the time that u come out of uni, the oil prices may have drop and you coul be left jobless
Original post by Dukeofwembley
i suggest you do chemical engineering at lougbhorough, as by the time that u come out of uni, the oil prices may have drop and you coul be left jobless

unlikely.

Petroleum engineering will make you highly desirable within the Petro-chem industry and petroleum service contractors. Chemical Engineering will give you a more rounded outlook for other industries.
Original post by Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
unlikely.

Petroleum engineering will make you highly desirable within the Petro-chem industry and petroleum service contractors. Chemical Engineering will give you a more rounded outlook for other industries.

research before u comment as it has happened in the past ie mass layoffs in the mid 80s
Original post by Dukeofwembley
research before u comment as it has happened in the past ie mass layoffs in the mid 80s

I graduated in Chemical Engineering this year and feel that a Petroleum Engineering degree would help me get a job in the Petroleum industry, especially the Operations support contractors based in e.g. Aberdeen.
Given the recent announcements about fracking and increasingly stringent safety/technology requirements I think I'm pretty valid in what I say - petroleum engineering isn't going to make you any more desirable within pharmaceuticals than chemical engineering.

Considering that we cannot produce more oil than is stored in unexplored and tapped wells alike then oil prices will continue to increase until the requirement is replaced by Hydrogen/next gen fuel supply (logically).

Quick Reply

Latest