The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm not smart enough for uni

Hi,

I'm in my third year (or I'm supposed to be) and I've taken a year off uni for various health/psychological reasons.
For quite some time now I've been thinking that I'm really dumb, half the time I can't string a coherent sentence together let alone understand the stuff i'm supposed to read. So I'm thinking of dropping out altogether.
I just feel mentally weak and incapable of finishing my degree, I don't think I'll ever get a half decent job or do anything I wanted to do before I got ill.
What should I do? If I decide to carry on I was thinking maybe of transferring universities so I can live at home. I just feel so incompetent and all my housemates want to go on and do Phd's which made me feel even more inadequate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right. Only for the type of work I'd be doing, I don't think any employer would give a hoot whether I have a degree or not.
Reply 2
they certainly will!! Nobody gets a proper job these days without a degree man, take as much time as you might need but DO FINISH IT, or you will regret that :frown:
Original post by MrHappy_J
Right. Only for the type of work I'd be doing, I don't think any employer would give a hoot whether I have a degree or not.

Looks like you've answered it yourself. Drop out and work. Sorted.

/Close thread.
dont look at the future barriers, look at how far u've come :smile: uve passed 2 years once u get a degree it will increas ur confidence
Reply 5
only i'd be incapable of doing a final year project because i cant come up with new ideas because of my low intelligence, and i can't do statistics or conduct studies. So i'd just graduate with a very low degree without honours which isn't worth anything.
What degree are you doing?
I'm kind in the same position tbh. I do Economics & my friend helps me out quite a bit when explaining certain concepts to me that I don't understand & I struggle with coursework & need to ask for help from the tutors with what to type & I suck at paraphrasing & find it hard to find the right sources online & piece it all together :s-smilie: I'm really really not looking forward to doing a dissertation in my final year & I at least need like a 2:1 as well. At the end of they day you just have to try your best really, I mean what else can you do apart from dropping out :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Nick1sHere
What degree are you doing?

Psychology.
Reply 9
I find uni pretty hard (2nd year humanities).

The frustrating thing is, most students need to get a 2.1 or higher. But there is neither the process and guidance whereby we can confidently work for the grades against a set criteria. Quite a few fellow students i know feel the worst kind of not smart enough, which is not being smart enough because they simply don't know what to do. And because of the grading schemes over the second two years at my uni, its not as if one can develop their writing freely over two years and then have a glorious third year where it all clicks - the second year unfortunately counts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Just go for it, you've come so far already, and finishing it will be like reaching a milestone in your life :smile:
If you feel like you're really struggling, I'm sure you could find someone to help you out, like friends, a tutor, online learning, etc?
Honestly, metaphorically speaking, it's like you've already run 99% of the marathon, you only have a few meters left to go - you're nearly there. And you'll have such a sense of achievement :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by iffles
Just go for it, you've come so far already, and finishing it will be like reaching a milestone in your life :smile:
If you feel like you're really struggling, I'm sure you could find someone to help you out, like friends, a tutor, online learning, etc?
Honestly, metaphorically speaking, it's like you've already run 99% of the marathon, you only have a few meters left to go - you're nearly there. And you'll have such a sense of achievement :smile:

Technically I have two years before I can graduate, assuming I'm starting my third year in September 2013. That seems like quite a long time to me.
Won't be much of an achievement getting a Third.

I don't know.
Reply 12
Original post by fastrun
I find uni pretty hard (2nd year).

Basically doing a humanities there is next to no direct instruction as to how to get a first/2.1 etc in essay and exams. Free ranging idea based essays aren't really encouraged.

Secondly, I'm a pretty intellectual person and enjoy studying and to some extent writing.

The frustrating thing is, I need to work for grades as my degree needs to get me a job. But there is neither the process and guidance whereby I can confidently work for the grade against a set criteria, and I know that my natural writing style, although imo quite good, isn't what gets great marks. Thus I, and quite a lot of students articulate this problem, feel the worst kind of not smart enough which is largely based on not knowing what to do,and not enough unassessed time to learn.

Can't really say that I can relate to your problem. I'm not intelligent in any way. At least you can think.
Though I definitely agree with you that there's too much focus on assessment and not enough time to learn. If I hadn't taken an intermission I would now be drowning in deadlines and I fear the same would happen next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by iffles

Well its not really because at most unis the third year is 66-100% of the final degree classification.
Reply 14
Original post by fastrun
Well its not really because at most unis the third year is 66-100% of the final degree classification.

Point taken, but what I really meant was the whole journey from the very start of education, including the whole schooling process and gcses and a-levels, uni application, etc. because the final degree can be viewed as a sort of culmination of all the education that built up to it.
But from the view as uni being "everything" and earlier education's purpose being rounding the person's overall abilities, then yes, the third year is quite significant to say the least. :wink: :smile:
Reply 15
I don't think I'm really explaining myself clearly. I used to be relatively intelligent and academic; when I was a fresher I wanted to be the next Sigmund Freud and thought I'd go on to do a Phd and become a psychotherapist, but in the past few months my brain has deteriorated and I no longer have any ambition or an idea of what I want to do. I have no thoughts or emotions any more and I can't really write essays. I kind of feel sub-human somtimes, I know how horrible that sounds but i generally feel so much inferior to others.
Oh and I also used to be opinionated, whereas now I just don't care.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Well you are at University so you must have some (even minuscule) intelligence so toughen up stick out your final year and get your degree. Would be a hell of a stupid thing to drop out and waste 2 years of your life and a lot of money as well.
Reply 17
Original post by Keynesian
Well you are at University so you must have some (even minuscule) intelligence so toughen up stick out your final year and get your degree. Would be a hell of a stupid thing to drop out and waste 2 years of your life and a lot of money as well.

Well like I said I used to be but not anymore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
bump.
Reply 19
Original post by MrHappy_J
I don't think I'm really explaining myself clearly. I used to be relatively intelligent and academic; when I was a fresher I wanted to be the next Sigmund Freud and thought I'd go on to do a Phd and become a psychotherapist, but in the past few months my brain has deteriorated and I no longer have any ambition or an idea of what I want to do. I have no thoughts or emotions any more and I can't really write essays. I kind of feel sub-human somtimes, I know how horrible that sounds but i generally feel so much inferior to others.
Oh and I also used to be opinionated, whereas now I just don't care.

I've had these feelings, I'm in second year, but the only advice I can give is 'keep going.' Trust me with this, I was doing lab work, was failing and getting 3rds/2:2s and I thought I had no chance in the main exam which was 50% when it comes, I kept on going and I got 69% overall despite doing so badly in the other 50% of assessments. Just keep going and you'll find the ambition.

I think you just need a confidence boost to build yourself up. Try to like the work and be interested in it, the things you're interested in the more likely you want to learn it. It works for me otherwise I'd have dropped out last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending