The Student Room Group

MSc Computer Science (Conversion) at The University of Birmingham.

(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by SFsucks
I need advice, I am thinking of doing a conversion course and that I should probably do it at the university of birmingham, I am a recent Media Production graduate.

I need to know what are my carear prospects, is the course good if you are currently doing it, what the lecturers and lab staff are like, etc.

Birmingham, from what I have heard, is really good.
They have good resources and lab is really cool! (My mate went there for an open day and she took loads of pics)
Thats all I know ><
Sorry for not helping much!
Reply 2
Hi. I am also planning to apply for this conversion course at Birmingham University. I have some friends who are studying their degrees (not CS though) at this uni also. Overall they seem to be satisfied with quality and social life :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by blink1007
Hi. I am also planning to apply for this conversion course at Birmingham University. I have some friends who are studying their degrees (not CS though) at this uni also. Overall they seem to be satisfied with quality and social life :biggrin:

Oh cool, when do you intend to go. What degree do you have?
Reply 4
I studied bsc in economics and finance. I will apply for 2013 September admissions.
Reply 5
I studied bsc in economics and finance. I will apply for 2013 September admissions.

I am also am applying for the same course - not without some trepidation as it has been almost 30 years since I completed my first degree (Mathematics)!

People I met at the open day seemed really friendly and supportive though.
Reply 6
Original post by 99jools
I am also am applying for the same course - not without some trepidation as it has been almost 30 years since I completed my first degree (Mathematics)!

People I met at the open day seemed really friendly and supportive though.

Wow it seems you have lots of work experience. Did you work in IT industry for all these years?
Reply 7
Wow it seems you have lots of work experience. Did you work in IT industry for all these years?

No - worked as programmer for a few years after graduating then stopped to have a family. 16 years later things had moved on quite a bit (mainframes had been replaced by PCs and the World Wide Web had arrived!) so my skills were too outdated to return without retraining and I still had family responsibilities, etc. so I have been working part time doing various admin/management jobs.

Turned 50 last year and kids have finally flown the nest so I am hoping to go back to Uni to bring my antiquated skills up to date and maybe go back to working at something I really enjoyed. Almost ready to send application off but still struggling with finishing touches to personal statement...

Are you just applying to Birmingham or elsewhere too? Have you already sent off your application?
Reply 8
Hi all,

I wondered whether any of you ended up doing the MSc Computer Science course at the University of Birmingham?

If so, how was it and would you recommend the course?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending