Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else on here been made an Open Offer for Oxford, either for sept 2004, or a few years ago and has since taken up that place?

Just wondering. Where did you end up? How soon did you find out after your exam results? Did you get to chose between say 2 colleges?

For those who have been made an open offer - are you going to take it, even if you end up at a college you don't like? I'm definitely taking mine up - it's too good to miss - but I'm hoping it isn't St Hilda's! Sorry, but coming from an all girls sch I need to get out!

ReputationRep:
    I DO...but sadly I don't have a clue about what it actually means!

I just hope I'm not at St Catz, St Hughs or LMH (too far from ice rink) mind you, I've already accepted and I'm sure i'll love wherever I end up!

As the alternative prospectus says:

"once you arrive you'll be glad that you ended up in your college and think that it's the best college in Oxford!"

ReputationRep:
    Well I contacted Oxford and they said that it's where you take the place of someone who doesn't make the grades in the exams (hence why we find out a few days afterwards). They also said you can end up anywhere, including your first choice college.

I really don't mind where I end up except St Hilda's as when I had interviews there I didn't like it (saying that I went with a biased attitude). But I don't want to miss the opportunity for the sake of which college I end up at!

Btw, what subject you applied for? Also, have you had any forms about accomodation, even though you have an open offer? Just wondered...

ReputationRep:
    Physics... and i've heard nothing even though I've accepted through UCAS (albeit on friday)!

ReputationRep:
    are you at a disadvantage from not applying to a specific college do you think? do your requests get dealt with later than those who apply specifically or are you treated the same? are you better off making an open application rather then applying to a specific university that you do not know if you will get into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookintomyeyes)
    are you at a disadvantage from not applying to a specific college do you think? do your requests get dealt with later than those who apply specifically or are you treated the same? are you better off making an open application rather then applying to a specific university that you do not know if you will get into?
    No silly we didn't make open offers... we were made open offers!

This is when (I think!) the university decides they want us, but the colleges that interview us don't...or don't have enough space. Thus an open offer is made where by we're guaranteed a place (if we meet our entrance requirements) but the college is not specified until the results are published (as we get the places of others who miss their grades)

ReputationRep:
    A really good friend of mine had an open offer for biology last year. Essentially, a college gave her an open offer on the understanding that at least one person would miss their grades, but they didn't. If my friend had met her offer the college would have been forced to make an extra place for her, but she just missed them. The original college turned her down but put her in the 'summer pool', and she was then called to interview by Hilda's who accepted her. It seems that colleges often fully intend to give a place to people who have open offers themselves when the reults are in. Just make sure you meet your grades!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hold an open offer. To be honest I'm very disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I hold an open offer. To be honest I'm very disappointed.
    Don't be. It means they're desperate for you to get in, and you are guaranteed a place if you make the offer (even if they have to build accomodation for you or hire an extra member of staff). You could very well end up at your original college anyway. Which college was your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Don't be. It means they're desperate for you to get in, and you are guaranteed a place if you make the offer (even if they have to build accomodation for you or hire an extra member of staff). You could very well end up at your original college anyway. Which college was your first choice?
    Magdalen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Magdalen.
    Well you may well end up with a place there then. You might not do, but often colleges give open offers knowing that someone will miss their grades. I wouldn't worry. An offer is an offer, whether it's open or not

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the college that I originally applied to was New College, but it was St Hilda's that sent me the letter about Open Offers. I know you are from St Hilda's but I really hope I don't end up there!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Hi, the college that I originally applied to was New College, but it was St Hilda's that sent me the letter about Open Offers. I know you are from St Hilda's but I really hope I don't end up there!!!!
    I'm sure you will still mix with boys even if you are at st hildas. The course is the same at all colleges so don't stress about it.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Why? As MB says it really isn't that big a deal at all. You still do the same course, get the same degree, and have contact with people of all genders. In other colleges plenty of people live in single sex accomodation anyway. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Why? As MB says it really isn't that big a deal at all. You still do the same course, get the same degree, and have contact with people of all genders. In other colleges plenty of people live in single sex accomodation anyway. :confused:
    Soz, it's just I've been at an all girls school since I was 6, and really need some male contact! If I do end up getting my offer at St Hilda's i will still probably take it up, as it's pointless to miss such a good opportunity, i just really really hope that I don't! soz!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Soz, it's just I've been at an all girls school since I was 6, and really need some male contact! If I do end up getting my offer at St Hilda's i will still probably take it up, as it's pointless to miss such a good opportunity, i just really really hope that I don't! soz!!!!

You clearly haven't listened to what me or hildabeast have said. You still have lectures witrh boys and go out and get pissed with boys. Does it really matter that much to you what geender the people are in the room neext door?

MB
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Go up to St Hildas and have a look around ...the accomodation is good and the grounds are lovely. It's very peaceful (if you want it to be) and you don't get hassled by tourists everywhere. I've spoken to lots of students who said that men are very welcome on site (and overnight!)and most bops and other events are joint with other colleges anyway. My brother-in-law (who went to Oxford) also said that some of the friendliest girls were at St Hildas!
    Seriously, don't make a judgement without going to have a look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Go up to St Hildas and have a look around ...the accomodation is good and the grounds are lovely. It's very peaceful (if you want it to be) and you don't get hassled by tourists everywhere. I've spoken to lots of students who said that men are very welcome on site (and overnight!)and most bops and other events are joint with other colleges anyway. My brother-in-law (who went to Oxford) also said that some of the friendliest girls were at St Hildas!
    Seriously, don't make a judgement without going to have a look!
    Soz! I thought that even the Bops were girls only! I think I am prejudging it to much, and I kno your right. I did briefly look around the college but I was really biased upon arrival as I had been called there for a last minute interview, I was dying to get home as going to London the next day and the first interviewer was really mean! So not the bets light to view it! Thanks a lot for your comments, you have changed my conceptions of the place and I won't be v.v.v.vv.unhappy if I end up there - but would prefer somewhere slighlty more central!!!!

Thanks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.