The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Is the University of Westminster any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eamigable
Isn't it? I've received offers from Westminster, Essex, and Portsmouth (International Relations & Modern Languages) and I was planning to choose Westminster. Is it a good idea? (i'm from spain and i don't know much about uk universities either)

Seeing how Westminster is in the bottom half of the league tables in pretty much anything, it's not exactly perceived as great. Essex is a middling university and Portsmouth is around the same as Westminster.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by yl95
Seeing how Westminster is in the bottom half of the league tables in pretty much anything, it's not exactly perceived as great. Essex is a middling university and Portsmouth is around the same as Westminster.

What do you think should i do then?
Thank you so much xx
Original post by eamigable
What do you think should i do then?
Thank you so much xx

Honestly, check the courses as well and see if you outright prefer any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by yl95
Honestly, check the courses as well and see if you outright prefer any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Westminster would be the best option. Of course it all depends on what course you would like to study.
Reply 24
Original post by Lala91
I think Westminster would be the best option. Of course it all depends on what course you would like to study.

Are you studying at Westminster?
Westminster is the one that attracts me the most (all courses are similar), but I'm afraid because I haven't heard very good opinions about the languages department in Westminster... :s-smilie::s-smilie:
i got an offer from university of westminster, however i am embarressed to have even applied there now that i have relised how **** it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
A University is only as-good as its students. The tutors is many of even the best places, are often sh*te. :P

Go to Westminster, if you like the place and if the course seems to be able to manage with itself; in terms of resources etc. If not, go to Essex for sure! Good overall University, is Essex.
Reply 27
I have received an offer from Westminster (translation and interpreting) but I have done quite a big research before applying.

Gideon123 - why do You think it is sh*te? Srsly don't beleive in everything You read on the internet :biggrin:

Everything really depends on the type of course, the lecturers (remember taht people always remember ****e ones and never mention the good ones :P) and luck. And other students ^^
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by podline
Westminster is not what I consider a good University, its a joke. Most of the lecturers arn't properly qualified and they treat you like cattle. They don't care and the student union is a complete waste of time.

It's now 2016 and this still applies, lol.
I studied for 2 years at the University of Westminster. I had previously studied a BSc in Chemistry else where. Uni of Westminster in comparison to my first 3rd level education experience was terrible. The lectures were badly planned, tutors were impossible to contact, no body ever had the correct information to give to students.Provision for students with learning difficulties was a joke. I constantly had to remind my teachers that my work wasn't late, that I had automatic extensions. Baring in mind my work was submitted with a form stating my extension entitlements on it.The Students Union (on the cavendish campus at least) were invisible and did nothing majorly valuable for students.My course had longer term dates than some other courses. We didn't have our final exams until July. For other students, during exam period, the library extended its opening hours. For us however it closed early because it was July. No other area to study was provided for us. We were told it wasn't the universities fault and to study off campus. Honestly, if you can do your course else where do. Westminster was unnecessarily stressful from day I started to the end I finished. Everything was battle.
Reply 30
I am currently applying for Westminister and would like to know if it is a good uni to go to as im only going for a year for the foundation year
Original post by Malzzzx
I am currently applying for Westminister and would like to know if it is a good uni to go to as im only going for a year for the foundation year

Hi there

Which subject area for the Foundation Year are you looking to study?

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 32
I’m applying for the biochemistry foundation year
Original post by Malzzzx

Hello there,

I am a third year student at the University of Westminster who studies Politics.I cannot comment on the course experience for the Biochemistry with Foundation degree, nonetheless, I can offer some advice on the university experience,campus life and quality of teaching. I started my first year when I was 18 and moved from Birmingham to London. I was primarily attracted to the university by its’s centrality. As I was studying a social science I was to be based in the Regents Street campus near OxfordCircus Station which I found very exciting. All that London has to offer is onits door step. As I studied Politics I was only 15 minutes away from Westminster and always in close proximity to talks, political events and demonstrations. This can also apply for many courses which are complimented by the ongoing London participatory scene. So many other London based universities are located around the city’s edges or the suburbs which I feel denies students the unique exposure to a 24 hour capital. Coming from Birmingham, I wasn’t overly daunted by the initial move, however, I soon found the mature lifestyle of London to be strikingly different to what I was used to in the West Midlands. This only aids your development in your early adult years. Iloved the underground commute from my brand new student accommodation in Wembley into the centre. The core and option modules which I took presented me with a balanced approach to the course. My module classes were evenly distributed between Regent Street andthe Cavendish campus (the latter where Biochemistry is studied).

Moving between both campuses offers a welcomed change of scenery. Whereby the Regent campus interior maintains a classic and traditional character, the Cavendish campusoffers a state of the art facilities which is firmly planted in the 21st Century and so I had the best of both worlds. I have always found the teachers to be open, approachable and genuinely inspiredby their disciplines. More importantly your personal tutors have a pleasingtendency to check up on students and provide one on one meetings when theymight think you’re struggling. There is also a sympathetic system in place toassist with any health or academic issues students might be experiencing. Allin all, I would recommend the University of Westminster as place that will helppositively shape you over a three year period.
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous
Hello there,

I am a third year student at the University of Westminster who studies Politics.I cannot comment on the course experience for the Biochemistry with Foundation degree, nonetheless, I can offer some advice on the university experience,campus life and quality of teaching. I started my first year when I was 18 and moved from Birmingham to London. I was primarily attracted to the university by its’s centrality. As I was studying a social science I was to be based in the Regents Street campus near OxfordCircus Station which I found very exciting. All that London has to offer is onits door step. As I studied Politics I was only 15 minutes away from Westminster and always in close proximity to talks, political events and demonstrations. This can also apply for many courses which are complimented by the ongoing London participatory scene. So many other London based universities are located around the city’s edges or the suburbs which I feel denies students the unique exposure to a 24 hour capital. Coming from Birmingham, I wasn’t overly daunted by the initial move, however, I soon found the mature lifestyle of London to be strikingly different to what I was used to in the West Midlands. This only aids your development in your early adult years. Iloved the underground commute from my brand new student accommodation in Wembley into the centre. The core and option modules which I took presented me with a balanced approach to the course. My module classes were evenly distributed between Regent Street andthe Cavendish campus (the latter where Biochemistry is studied).

Moving between both campuses offers a welcomed change of scenery. Whereby the Regent campus interior maintains a classic and traditional character, the Cavendish campusoffers a state of the art facilities which is firmly planted in the 21st Century and so I had the best of both worlds. I have always found the teachers to be open, approachable and genuinely inspiredby their disciplines. More importantly your personal tutors have a pleasingtendency to check up on students and provide one on one meetings when theymight think you’re struggling. There is also a sympathetic system in place toassist with any health or academic issues students might be experiencing. Allin all, I would recommend the University of Westminster as place that will helppositively shape you over a three year period.

ok thank you so much
As above
As above

Nope - fairly low on the rankings - if you are going to spend all that money, you can get better value elsewhere
As above

Hello there,

I am a third year student at the University of Westminster who studies Politics. I started my first year when I was 18 and moved from Birmingham to London. I was primarily attracted to the university by its’s centrality. As I was studying a social science I was to be based in the Regents Street campus near OxfordCircus Station which I found very exciting. All that London has to offer is onits door step. As I studied Politics I was only 15 minutes away from Westminster and always in close proximity to talks, political events and demonstrations. This can also apply for many courses which are complimented by the ongoing London participatory scene. So many other London based universities are located around the city’s edges or the suburbs which I feel denies students the unique exposure to a 24 hour capital. Coming from Birmingham, I wasn’t overly daunted by the initial move, however, I soon found the mature lifestyle of London to be strikingly different to what I was used to in the West Midlands. This only aids your development in your early adult years. Iloved the underground commute from my brand new student accommodation in Wembley into the centre. The core and option modules which I took presented me with a balanced approach to the course. My module classes were evenly distributed between Regent Street and the Cavendish campus.

Moving between both campuses offers a welcomed change of scenery. Whereby the Regent campus interior maintains a classic and traditional character, the Cavendish campusoffers a state of the art facilities which is firmly planted in the 21st Century and so I had the best of both worlds. I have always found the teachers to be open, approachable and genuinely inspiredby their disciplines. More importantly your personal tutors have a pleasingtendency to check up on students and provide one on one meetings when they might think you’re struggling. There is also a sympathetic system in place toassist with any health or academic issues students might be experiencing. All in all, I would recommend the University of Westminster as place that will helppositively shape you over a three year period.
Hey! When you were studying at westminster moving between regent’s and the cavendish campus, did they put all your classes for one day on one campus? Then all the ones on a different campus on a different day? As opposed to having to run between them in the same day aha
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,

I'm a current Final Year Marketing Communications Student University of Westminster! Ranking for me wasn't a dominant part of my consideration, although it is definitely worth looking at, i wanted to look at all the other aspects that make up the uni experience e.g. Accommodation, Students Union, facilities etc. Westminster also offers really strong opportunities to develop work experience including internships/placements (sometimes overseas), mentoring programmes and continuous help with interviewing, cover letters and CVs. Coming out of university with experience and practical skills can often make you stand out more than graduating from a top ranking uni!

I personally really rate the teaching, for my course it's around 12-16 contact hours per week, and the seminars usually immediately follow the lecture, where we'll go through the lecture content (which is also uploaded online if for whatever reason I can't make it in) and have the opportunity to apply the learning in things like case studies, practice papers, group activities etc. As there's independent study time to work on assignments, I personally love the fact that I can go and work out of any of the central London Campuses (there's 4, and 1 in Harrow as well), just gives me a change of scenery! I prefer working out of our Regents Street Campus just because it's probably the grandest (chandeliers, marble floors etc.), and it's just where I find myself most productive!

Socially, I've had a bit of experience with the Students Union, and there are so many ways to get involved! I chose to go through starting up a society at the Business School, but others choose to get involved through student media e.g. our Radio Station, Podcasts, Student Magazine, Newspaper etc. or through our cheer team/sports teams! Alternatively the SU run events at their student bars; there's one on Harrow campus, and there's also one inside Regents Street campus which doubles up as a Starbucks during the day!

Accommodation wise, I lived in Raffles House (the first years Halls of Residence) and I loved it, you live in flats of 5-6 if I remember correctly, and you fill out a questionnaire when you book to make sure you get to live with with compatible people in terms of like are they early risers, do they like to cook, are they sociable etc. and it's such a great opportunity to meet people outside of your campus, I met some of my closest friends in Halls! The rooms are a good size and came with a double bed (which was a relief as I had a double at home and going from a double back to a single is hard!) and the kitchens are really nicely furnished! after your first year, 2nd years, Final years, MA students and Study abroad students can choose to live in the Uni's other Halls in Marylebone and Shoreditch, but I just decided to get a flat share with some friends!

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending