Yeethoven
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys. Unit 5 thread up so time for this as well. Should be a few people sitting early in Jan?
Yeethoven
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Ah guys cmon. I know for sure there are many of you A2 peeps sitting this in Jan, so cmon lol, you know its bad when there are automated messages
Yeethoven
Rep:
Dont know if any of you have heard, but from septermber 2013 there will be no january exams. So this exam is the last ever to happen at this time... They mayb be nice or send us off with a absolute nightmare.
Mallika
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Warlord)
Dont know if any of you have heard, but from septermber 2013 there will be no january exams. So this exam is the last ever to happen at this time... They mayb be nice or send us off with a absolute nightmare.
Knowing edexcel examiners, it will be a nightmare! Revise hard
I'm Mallika by the way
How are you getting along with Unit 4?
shumen9523
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mallika)
Knowing edexcel examiners, it will be a nightmare! Revise hard
I'm Mallika by the way
How are you getting along with Unit 4?
You're certainly an optimist . But I have to agree, it's better to be well prepared for this exam just in case the examiners decided to make it harder. We're going to start chapter 7 next week. How are you finding unit 4 ??
Mallika
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shumen9523)
You're certainly an optimist . But I have to agree, it's better to be well prepared for this exam just in case the examiners decided to make it harder. We're going to start chapter 7 next week. How are you finding unit 4 ??
Quite :P Better be safe than sorry!
My class is halfway through chapter 6, I don't think we're going to be finished in time I'll probably end up going through all of it on my own anyway! :P
I'm think it's okay, I understand the calculations but I'm a bit stuck on the wordy questions! I know that's where I'll focus most of my time on, what about you?
Yeethoven
Rep:
My class is halfway through chapter 6, I don't think we're going to be finished in time I'll probably end up going through all of it on my own anyway! :P
I'm think it's okay, I understand the calculations but I'm a bit stuck on the wordy questions! I know that's where I'll focus most of my time on, what about you?
I have finished learning it all, not too bad I guess . I need about 73% over 4 and 5 for my A, wbu? Any topics you findning hard, just say, lets hope we can help
Pinkhead
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Chemistry is my worst subject. I really need to start working properly but I can't stop procrastinating.
I've been free since 10 and I haven't done any work
shumen9523
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I agree . I'm finding unit 4 to be much easier than unit 2 (although some may disagree). The wordy questions can be be difficult sometimes, especially when you try to figure out which " keywords " the examiners want you to include in your answer. Just remember that the more you practice, the easier you'll find these questions.
If anybody needs any help with anything, feel free to quote me
Good luck !!
ummm
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I agree . I'm finding unit 4 to be much easier than unit 2 (although some may disagree). The wordy questions can be be difficult sometimes, especially when you try to figure out which " keywords " the examiners want you to include in your answer. Just remember that the more you practice, the easier you'll find these questions.
Good luck !!
Hey. I'm sitting this too, and I agree - I'm finding this MUCH easier than I found unit 2 at the time! Although, I've read over unit 2 again and looking back it's not too bad. When are you starting past papers?
shumen9523
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ummm)
Hey. I'm sitting this too, and I agree - I'm finding this MUCH easier than I found unit 2 at the time! Although, I've read over unit 2 again and looking back it's not too bad. When are you starting past papers?
Well, I've already started to solve some of the past paper questions to check for my understanding of the chapters (except for chapt 7). what about you ??
ummm
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Well, I've already started to solve some of the past paper questions to check for my understanding of the chapters (except for chapt 7). what about you ??
How are you finding them? Umm, I still need to learn acids and bases and then revise it all a bit before past papers. Hoping to start them at the start of December - should give me plenty of time to get everything sorted then. What have you found the hardest part of unit 4?
Mallika
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Good luck !!
Yep, that is definitely the most difficult part
Could you help me with the equilibria questions? I never know what to say if they ask to explain what happens to the position of equilibrium or the equilibrium constant! Here's an example question:

Many industrial organic reactions produce hydrogen chloride as an additional product. This can be oxidised to chlorine by the Deacon process:
4HCl(g) + O2(g) 2Cl2(g) + 2H2O(g) ΔH = –115 kJ mol–1.
0.800 mol of hydrogen chloride was mixed with 0.200 mol of oxygen in a vessel of volume 10.0 dm3 in the presence of a copper(I) chloride catalyst at 400 ºC. At equilibrium it was found that the mixture contained 0.200 mol of hydrogen chloride.
(d) State and explain the effect, if any, on the position of equilibrium in (c) of:
(i) decreasing the temperature;
............................................................................................................(2)
(ii) decreasing the volume;
............................................................................................................
(2)
(iii) removing the catalyst.
............................................................................................................

Also do we ever mention Le Chateliers principle in unit 4? My teacher said no but I think I've seen it on some markschemes?
shumen9523
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Yep, that is definitely the most difficult part
Could you help me with the equilibria questions? I never know what to say if they ask to explain what happens to the position of equilibrium or the equilibrium constant! Here's an example question:

Many industrial organic reactions produce hydrogen chloride as an additional product. This can be oxidised to chlorine by the Deacon process:
4HCl(g) + O2(g) 2Cl2(g) + 2H2O(g) ΔH = –115 kJ mol–1.
0.800 mol of hydrogen chloride was mixed with 0.200 mol of oxygen in a vessel of volume 10.0 dm3 in the presence of a copper(I) chloride catalyst at 400 ºC. At equilibrium it was found that the mixture contained 0.200 mol of hydrogen chloride.
(d) State and explain the effect, if any, on the position of equilibrium in (c) of:
(i) decreasing the temperature;
............................................................................................................(2)
(ii) decreasing the volume;
(2)
(iii) removing the catalyst.

Also do we ever mention Le Chateliers principle in unit 4? My teacher said no but I think I've seen it on some markschemes?
d i) decreasing the temperature causes equilibrium to shift to the right as the forward reaction is exothermic. (Hence, the product yield increases )
ii) decreasing the volume ( = increasing the pressure) causes equilibrium to shift to the right as the equilibrium shifts from the side where there are more gaseous molecules (reactants have 5 moles) to the side where there are less gaseous molecules (products have 4 moles) when the pressure is increased.
iii) it would have no effect on the equilibrium position as removing the catalyst causes the rates of both the forward and the backward reactions to decrease.
I'm not really sure about the last bit :/
However, students are expected to remember what they learnt in their AS level so I think that you should revise it to be on the safe side. It really depends on how the questions are asked in the test.
shumen9523
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ummm)
How are you finding them? Umm, I still need to learn acids and bases and then revise it all a bit before past papers. Hoping to start them at the start of December - should give me plenty of time to get everything sorted then. What have you found the hardest part of unit 4?
I've found some of the questions about acids and bases to be tricky sometimes. If you don't read the questions related acids and bases carefully, you may end up losing many marks over silly mistakes. We haven't started spectroscopy yet so things may change .....
What about you ??
ummm
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I've found some of the questions about acids and bases to be tricky sometimes. If you don't read the questions related acids and bases carefully, you may end up losing many marks over silly mistakes. We haven't started spectroscopy yet so things may change .....
What about you ??
Ah right, thanks for the heads up. umm, well I have tried reading over acids and bases, and to me it seems like the trickiest bit. But its not so bad now that we're starting to cover it at school. I like organic in this unit! Haha, can't believe I struggled so much with it in unit 2.
Mallika
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Warlord)
I have finished learning it all, not too bad I guess . I need about 73% over 4 and 5 for my A, wbu? Any topics you findning hard, just say, lets hope we can help
Really? :O That was fast! I'm still on chapter 6, I was supposed to finish by this weekend but that obviously did not happen :P
I need 62% for my overall A but I really want to get an A*, since I'm applying for a chemistry degree (because chem is awesome)

I will certainly be needing help
Mallika
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
d i) decreasing the temperature causes equilibrium to shift to the right as the forward reaction is exothermic. (Hence, the product yield increases )
ii) decreasing the volume ( = increasing the pressure) causes equilibrium to shift to the right as the equilibrium shifts from the side where there are more gaseous molecules (reactants have 5 moles) to the side where there are less gaseous molecules (products have 4 moles) when the pressure is increased.
iii) it would have no effect on the equilibrium position as removing the catalyst causes the rates of both the forward and the backward reactions to decrease.
I'm not really sure about the last bit :/
However, students are expected to remember what they learnt in their AS level so I think that you should revise it to be on the safe side. It really depends on how the questions are asked in the test.
Thank you so so much! Incredibly useful I can finally answer these types of questions- hopefully I can do well in my test tomorrow!
Yeethoven
Rep:
Really? :O That was fast! I'm still on chapter 6, I was supposed to finish by this weekend but that obviously did not happen :P
I need 62% for my overall A but I really want to get an A*, since I'm applying for a chemistry degree (because chem is awesome)

I will certainly be needing help
You are prety good at chem then I see lol. Ye, you think this is bad, wait till you see unit 5 :eek: Nice lol, I cannot imagine doing more chem voluntarily after this, its torture!

What sort of stuff do you need help with in acids and bases? Understanding buffers? Pka? Ka of weak acid etc?
johnny-marr
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm fine with most of it except for equilibrium and acid/bases. For some reason just can't get my head around it. So if a reaction is exothermic, increasing temperature moves the equilibrium to the left because that's in the endothermic direction, so less product if formed so K will be smaller? Is this right?
And surely we do have to mention Le Chatelier's principle as there is a whole section of it in my unit 4 revision book

I'm really going to hope the paper consists of as little equilibrium and acid/base as possible!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
12.28%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.75%
Finding the time to revise (6)
10.53%
Finding the motivation (10)
17.54%
Getting distracted (10)
17.54%
Procrastination (23)
40.35%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads