The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 4- 14th January

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Warlord
An A for jan 10 was 56 :eek: But no thats not even close, 67-70 ould get you an a*, 67 just about more like. You will need at least about 83-85 at least to get maximum ums.

oh that's not good at all! I wonder who got full ums in jan 2010!
so it will only be the case if paper is hard and if paper is hard you will loose more mark too! well lets just hope paper will be good bt grade boundaries less :biggrin:
Reply 1981
Original post by AS01
oh that's not good at all! I wonder who got full ums in jan 2010!
so it will only be the case if paper is hard and if paper is hard you will loose more mark too! well lets just hope paper will be good bt grade boundaries less :biggrin:

lol as, dont we all want that, but it wont happen will it :biggrin: Generally, look at about 65-68 for an A*
Reply 1982
Original post by Warlord
lol as, dont we all want that, but it wont happen will it :biggrin: Generally, look at about 65-68 for an A*

yes we do :biggrin:
Hope the paper will be good.

btw when do we use separating funnel over buchner flask?
Original post by Warlord
Goodness me, this isnt on the syllabus is it? Lol, I wouldnt worry on this stuff, have never ever seen it in a paper before.

Jojo :biggrin:

thanks though :smile:

Original post by AS01
for solven you need the one that doesn't interact with radio waves so in other word the one that doesn't have odd number of protons or neutrons and odd mass number.
I think detecting the amount of radio frequency absorbed and emitted is just done by computer lol. I don't know about this :colondollar:

thank you as01 :tongue:

ahh i always forget what the solvent has to be ... thank you :smile:

haha i'll just remember computer then !
Original post by JoshL123
Just reject :s-smilie:. Thats in relation to entropy. In the mark scheme it talks about describing in terms of disorder, and then just reject "entropy decreases". I have an explanation, but didnt really talk about order, just entropy :/.

And yes, I thought water as well.The question is in relation to converting a hydroxynitrile to a hydroxycarboxylic acid (lactic acid). In the cgp book it says HCl to two molecules of H2O

im not really sure about the aqueous/dilute... have you tried other books :O

yeah try to mention it in terms of disorder eg .. disorder increasses due to...ie more moles of gas produced :smile:
Reply 1985
Original post by jojo1995
thanks though :smile:

thank you as01 :tongue:

ahh i always forget what the solvent has to be ... thank you :smile:

haha i'll just remember computer then !

haha might be if you try harder you will see my post :biggrin:
Original post by AS01
haha might be if you try harder you will see my post :biggrin:

huh? ... i saw the stuff about it has to have an even mass no :tongue:
are you talking about another post/something else?
Original post by David Tennant
Guys so sorry about this. I tried uploading to Scribd but I don't think it's the best way as you cannot group all the past papers together. So I've managed to validate my account and now the link should be working http://www.mediafire.com/?za2a1a0c88zt6al,2sryxfiu6gfhwbf,qlf4t9b1z50rel6,57g9s0jww2yt0k7,i9ndc7esyivjnfj,bcbi656878zr8ls,cdjke1io83tthh2,o47s1i4eqz1sys8,9zqyt9t06y7t8zc,7dw7x4k855la8x5,d3uxctxys0o1eex,9x59jk3n5dab3t4,rwkpq8hejqjwbne,6jq7bheu15uqt5a,4h1nov1v61330na,392hv8853eynkrf,79j822b46y6b17p,7w8f975r88rll58,c583c9pm1ueoave,1uf0rr27i4frksn,mv4cevyobwbrhxz,85fsks0vmcobve2,rfj74ymps1i9ap5,8wkkpl5lrrtnfav,80wo3a31l2dp6mm,b0mfdl087i0pnud,jyn9cfzzo4p8e4f,vafnimn1489oqfd,cy92iyhigsa9w2t,ci7cz5jahb78c8b,92urros2jqoruhc,46z6j64iovlqq4h,itvox29qc9t3qb5,ok0w4svt8iqhv51,bs3jbf3zac5k8se,wbc1bcc8dbdlxza,vobqq243r2fy2fu

If you still have problems then contact me and I will email the files as a RAR document. The reason I want to post a link is so that even those without TSR accounts can get a hold of the papers...

Thanks!
Reply 1988
huh? ... i saw the stuff about it has to have an even mass no :tongue:
are you talking about another post/something else?

am talking about that that solvent one :biggrin:
Why does adding acid or alkali to buffer (ie,ethanoic acid and salt) mean no change in ph? I understand what is needed for the marks but dont understand the full reason, and how do i show this with equations, i only know(but dont understand) in words
Original post by Warlord

Acidic hydrolysis of nitriles

The nitrile is heated under reflux with dilute hydrochloric acid. Instead of getting an ammonium salt as you would do if the reaction only involved water, you produce the free carboxylic acid.

For example, with ethanenitrile and hydrochloric acid you would get ethanoic acid and ammonium chloride.

Why is the free acid formed rather than the ammonium salt? The ethanoate ions in the ammonium ethanoate react with hydrogen ions from the hydrochloric acid to produce ethanoic acid. Ethanoic acid is only a weak acid and so once it has got the hydrogen ion, it tends to hang on to it

The above is from chemguide, I dont think its important to know if the hcl is dilute or not.

So it says dilute :P. The mark scheme says aqueous. Suppose its just one of those things I need to remember.
Reply 1991
Original post by cookie555
Why does adding acid or alkali to buffer (ie,ethanoic acid and salt) mean no change in ph? I understand what is needed for the marks but dont understand the full reason, and how do i show this with equations, i only know(but dont understand) in words

When you add h+, they form with the ethanoate salt which causes ethaoic acid to form, and this makes eq shift left. So the ph will remain essentialy the same as before, because your h+ conc has fallen.

When you add oh- to the acid, it forms h20 and the ethanoate. The oh- form with the h+ ions in the solution to form h20, and so essentialy, the h+ ions need to be replaced. This is done by the ethanoic acid, which dissociates to SUPRESS the fall in h+ due to forming h20 with oh- :smile: So again, the h+ balance is restored, and ph doesnt alter much.

Another common phrase is saying that there are large reseviors of ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate relative to any addition of h+ or oh-, so the ratio of acid to salt remains relatively unchanged, so ph change is minimal.

Does that help?
Reply 1992
Original post by JoshL123
So it says dilute :P. The mark scheme says aqueous. Suppose its just one of those things I need to remember.

I believe its dilute. I have read this somewhere before. Just put whatever, aq if thats what the ms says. :smile:
Original post by Warlord
When you add h+, they form with the ethanoate salt which causes ethaoic acid to form, and this makes eq shift left. So the ph will remain essentialy the same as before, because your h+ conc has fallen.

When you add oh- to the acid, it forms h20 and the ethanoate. The oh- form with the h+ ions in the solution to form h20, and so essentialy, the h+ ions need to be replaced. This is done by the ethanoic acid, which dissociates to SUPRESS the fall in h+ due to forming h20 with oh- :smile: So again, the h+ balance is restored, and ph doesnt alter much.

Another common phrase is saying that there are large reseviors of ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate relative to any addition of h+ or oh-, so the ratio of acid to salt remains relatively unchanged, so ph change is minimal.

Does that help?

Yes that has helped thanks, But this is the part I dont understand in mark schemes Another common phrase is saying that there are large reseviors of ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate relative to any addition of h+ or oh-, so the ratio of acid to salt remains relatively unchanged, so ph change is minimal.

Why does the ratio mean ph unchanged??
Reply 1994
Original post by Warlord
chromotography could easily be a 6 marker, lol. Nmr is so boring :smile:. Entropy is the best. I dont actually know what the paper could be on.

entropy is best !!!
Reply 1995
Original post by cookie555
Yes that has helped thanks, But this is the part I dont understand in mark schemes Another common phrase is saying that there are large reseviors of ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate relative to any addition of h+ or oh-, so the ratio of acid to salt remains relatively unchanged, so ph change is minimal.

Why does the ratio mean ph unchanged??

Well because the ph is say x, when the salt and acid are in the solution. There so many ions of each, that any h+ that enters or an oh- that enters into the solution is absorbed by a few of the ethanoic acid and ethanoate ions, and they are still loads of the salt and acid ions left over, so x remains relatively unchanged.
Reply 1996
Original post by orange94
entropy is best !!!

lol, it is isnt it.
Original post by AS01
am talking about that that solvent one :biggrin:

OH right :smile: thanks

Original post by Warlord
I believe its dilute. I have read this somewhere before. Just put whatever, aq if thats what the ms says. :smile:

hi, could you pls tell me what a free carboxylic acid is ?

is this the right reaction for hydrolysis of nitrile ? -

---CH3CN+ 2H20 + HCl(aq) = CH3COOH +CH4Cl ?

WHAT IS THE OTHER REACTION PRODUCING NOT A FREE CARBOXYLIC ACID ?

:smile:
Reply 1998
OH right :smile: thanks

hi, could you pls tell me what a free carboxylic acid is ?

is this the right reaction for hydrolysis of nitrile ? -

---CH3CN+ 2H20 + HCl(aq) = CH3COOH +CH4Cl ?

WHAT IS THE OTHER REACTION PRODUCING NOT A FREE CARBOXYLIC ACID ?

:smile:

nh4cl, not ch4. I am not sure what a free carb acid means, Im assuming it means when there are also ammonium ions in the solution rather than a separate product forming, like nh4cl. But anyway, your equation boveis probably the most you will need to know :smile:
Original post by Warlord
nh4cl, not ch4. I am not sure what a free carb acid means, Im assuming it means when there are also ammonium ions in the solution rather than a separate product forming, like nh4cl. But anyway, your equation boveis probably the most you will need to know :smile:

oh yeah lol sorry it was an accident :tongue: thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending