The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Ask a current Bristol student

Hello and welcome to the Ask a Bristol Student thread. :biggrin:

Many thanks to @punctuation for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm beaurudol, I study Law at the University of Bristol and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. :woo:
Also around to answer questions are recent graduates @Paulington and @Keels25, feel free to tag them below. :smile:

If you have any questions about Medicine applications, feel free to chat to recent medicine offer holders @denaturedenzyme and @not_XIX_forever too. :yep:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :banana:

For a big list of "Ask a Student" threads, click here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
1. Quality of the course?
2. Prospects?
3. Lecturers?
4. What kind of city Bristol is?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Valentas
1. Quality of the course?
2. Prospects?
3. Lecturers?
4. What kind of city Bristol is?

Thanks! :smile:

I think the first 3 vary massively on what you're going to be studying, but I haven't really heard any complaints about the course quality from anyone. What subject is it that you're interested in?

And as for the city, Bristol is gorgeous and you'd be hard pushed to think of anything it doesn't have somewhere. Plus the west country accent (which every single porter seems to have) is hilarious to listen to. There's also the triangle and particularly, Lounge which you'll become well accustomed to :wink:
Reply 4
What is the % of rahs at Bristol?
Reply 5
Original post by SpringNicht
I think the first 3 vary massively on what you're going to be studying, but I haven't really heard any complaints about the course quality from anyone. What subject is it that you're interested in?

And as for the city, Bristol is gorgeous and you'd be hard pushed to think of anything it doesn't have somewhere. Plus the west country accent (which every single porter seems to have) is hilarious to listen to. There's also the triangle and particularly, Lounge which you'll become well accustomed to :wink:

Comp Science.
Original post by tehforum
What is the % of rahs at Bristol?

...I'm going to estimate 10% :wink: You'll encounter more or less depending on which halls you're in, it's a far higher percentage in Wills (and Richmond this year it seems?) and lower in halls like UH and the city centre halls.

Original post by Valentas
Comp Science.

I've heard no big complaints other than apparently the programming is fairly basic for the first few weeks if you've done anything like it before (I don't know the specifics myself since I don't do it personally, this is from various conversations with a friend who does).
Reply 7
I guess it is basically everywhere because 99 % of people are n00bs on there first day :] including ones, who picked up some skills but have bad habits.
(edited 11 years ago)
whats electrical and electronic engineering like at Bristol if you've got any idea? :smile:
Original post by goldenfish
whats electrical and electronic engineering like at Bristol if you've got any idea? :smile:

I have a flatmate who does that exact course! :smile:

It seems like quite a big workload from what I can see, he's constantly doing work and his labs are really long (I'd ask him but he's gone to the peak district with one of his societies). He seems to enjoy it though, even if he finds it challenging.

Really good employment prospects.
Reply 10
What're your prospects like for music? 'cause I'm a drummer and a guitarist, it'd be great if Bristol had music rooms with the instruments in it for regular play :3
Are any of you ***** even local?
Original post by Sannn
What're your prospects like for music? 'cause I'm a drummer and a guitarist, it'd be great if Bristol had music rooms with the instruments in it for regular play :3

There's a LOT of bands you'll be able to join, but I don't think there's practice rooms. I know the ones in the victoria rooms are limited to music students only.

Can't really tell you too much on that as I don't play, but I know for guitar your flatmates probably won't mind you practising in the day.

If you really want to practice, you can hire rooms privately (I know Colston Hall has this available)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sannn

There's a LOT of bands you'll be able to join, but I don't think there's practice rooms. I know the ones in the victoria rooms are limited to music students only.

Can't really tell you too much on that as I don't play, but I know for guitar your flatmates probably won't mind you practising in the day.

If you really want to practice, you can hire rooms privately (I know Colston Hall has this available)

There's a piece of work on at the moment between the Union and the Music department to ensure that non Music degree students have access to practice rooms. I'm not sure about other instruments, but access to pianos was part of the discussion.
Original post by threeportdrift
There's a piece of work on at the moment between the Union and the Music department to ensure that non Music degree students have access to practice rooms. I'm not sure about other instruments, but access to pianos was part of the discussion.

I'm hoping this comes in soon for other instruments, got a guy the floor above who practices some kind of brass instrument until the early hours :angry:
I'm hoping this comes in soon for other instruments, got a guy the floor above who practices some kind of brass instrument until the early hours :angry:

Well now's the time to ask questions and generate the need - ask your hall warden or the SU. Mind you, I also dealt with a Bristol student the other day who had built his own silent practice system (I presume it played through headphones) to he could play his electric guitar in Halls without annoying his neighbours!
Original post by Sannn

Some halls (Goldney Hall (my hall) and Clifton Hill House come to mind, but there may be several others) have a music room.

However, I'm fairly certain they don't have their own drums or guitars, so you'd have to supply your own. Goldney definitely has its own grand piano that you can play whenever you'd like, and I'm pretty sure you can play your own guitar in the music room. :smile:
Reply 17
It always amused me how the Goldney music room was also for some reason the library. Still, it was very rarely used during exam term last year, usually just me and a couple of my friends, so it was entirely possible to do some revision, go play a bit of piano to relieve stress/boredom then get back on with some work (When I say work, the chairs were comfy & the cat was in there a lot, so not all that much work really got done. Ah well.)
Original post by punctuation
There isn't a similar thread at the moment, so I thought I'd create one. Just as it says on the title: ask a current Bristol student. My hope is that any prospective/new/etc. students can ask questions, and any current/past Bristol student can answer them!

Without further ado: ask away! :smile:

Hey, as far as I remember, you are a first-year rep. Would you explain more about it, please? :smile: I think it sounds really nice to be one, but what should you do to apply or... yeah, I hope you understand :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
Hey, as far as I remember, you are a first-year rep. Would you explain more about it, please? :smile: I think it sounds really nice to be one, but what should you do to apply or... yeah, I hope you understand :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hmm, well it definitely depends on your department! For psychology, they just sent an email saying they needed student reps. We had to fill out a very, very short form, hand it in to reception. There wasn't much competition so I think everyone who applied initially got accepted! Things are probably a lot different for the computer science department, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

However, one of the benefits (or maybe drawbacks, depending on the type of person) of being a student rep is that you get to attend pretty cool meetings with academic staff. You'd usually discuss concerns from students in your department, in your year, and talk about possible solutions. Also, you get to attend student council! I attended a few weeks ago and it was very fun. :biggrin: Basically people put forth motions and you vote on them (on behalf of the students you're representing).

It also looks good on your cv, so you should definitely go for it! If the department doesn't give you any information on it, just email or find them and ask! :smile:

Latest