The Student Room Group

Biggest/ Best derby in England

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by danny111
So mate, what does that say about Leeds' fans rather than derbies?

We're bad :colone: point still stands though, guy asked a question, I answered it :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Nørgaard
We're bad :colone: point still stands though, guy asked a question, I answered it :smile:

Yes, but you judged the quality of a derby by the violence between the two fan groups. Highly debatable already.

Then you gave an example where you were fenced in so many times. So the logic suggests, you guys are just violent, and it has nothing to do with it being a derby.
Reply 62
Original post by danny111
Yes, but you judged the quality of a derby by the violence between the two fan groups. Highly debatable already.

Then you gave an example where you were fenced in so many times. So the logic suggests, you guys are just violent, and it has nothing to do with it being a derby.

Nope, I didn't, it was the poster I originally replied to who did that, referring to the fencing in of Portsmouth fans at the South Coast derby and using it as an argument that this derby was therefore the best. My point was to demonstrate that just because fans are fenced in at a game, it doesn't make it the biggest/best derby, as Leeds vs Birmingham could never be considered for this. I'm sorry if what I wrote could be misinterpreted to be rating football violence in such a way.
Middlesbrough Vs Sunderland
Reply 64
Original post by Nørgaard
Nope, I didn't, it was the poster I originally replied to who did that, referring to the fencing in of Portsmouth fans at the South Coast derby and using it as an argument that this derby was therefore the best. My point was to demonstrate that just because fans are fenced in at a game, it doesn't make it the biggest/best derby, as Leeds vs Birmingham could never be considered for this. I'm sorry if what I wrote could be misinterpreted to be rating football violence in such a way.

So basically we are saying the same thing? lol sorry I misunderstood that.
Reply 65
Original post by Meat is Murder
Middlesbrough Vs Sunderland

The most embarrassing post on here so far.

Unless you're just joking.

El Trampico.
Steel City

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 67
Original post by TOSCS
One thing about a lot of the English derbies that does sort of leave me bemused is the difference between the fans, or lack of. I mean if you take an Arsenal and a Spurs fan, there really is no difference between them other than the team they support. They have no actual reason to dislike each other apart from the fact they're 'supposed to'.

Now you could argue that in the wider scheme of things that's a positive since hatred isn't something to be encouraged, but the hated is still there, just a bit misguided.

Derbies where there are actual diametric opposites between the fans, for more than just the colour scarf they have, those derbies will always be more poignant IMO.

The derby is built on local rivalry (and the fact arsenal moved into their territory many years ago) which for me is what a football derby should be about. What other differences really matter if the teams aint close together ? Old Firm is about things other than football but if the clubs didn't share a city it wouldn't be the same I dont think
Reply 68
as a neutral: merseyside, liverpool/united , sheffield, west ham/millwall and the manchester derby
Reply 69
MK franchise v wimboldon is now happening after wimboldon won thier replay!

think most of the football community will be on one side for this one
Live in milton keynes, but am against everything that mk dons are about. Tempted to go along in the AFC end.
Reply 71
Despite being neutral towards football, this is slightly biased, seeing as they are my home club.

Norwich City vs Ipswich Town

I know NONE of you guys will agree, but that's okay, I know nothing about football. I have however been to Carrow Road a few times when that fixture has cropped up, and I have to say, it is one of the better, more traditional, rivalries.

Newcastle United vs Sunderland has a pretty big build up, which is fairly interesting.
(edited 11 years ago)
WBA vs Wolves for me.
Reply 73
Original post by alexsong
The derby is built on local rivalry (and the fact arsenal moved into their territory many years ago) which for me is what a football derby should be about. What other differences really matter if the teams aint close together ? Old Firm is about things other than football but if the clubs didn't share a city it wouldn't be the same I dont think

How can you say the OF was about things other than football, but then mention the locality? The OF had everything you mentioned about the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry plus a lot more reasons for the fans to dislike each other (and I'm not talking about any religious crap the media love to talk up).
West Ham vs Millwall
Reply 75
Original post by TOSCS
How can you say the OF was about things other than football, but then mention the locality? The OF had everything you mentioned about the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry plus a lot more reasons for the fans to dislike each other (and I'm not talking about any religious crap the media love to talk up).

I meant to say it has outside factors and significant differences between the fan bases (what the other bloke was saying made derbies great) other than just the locality, not that it is about things other than football I just botched the wording
Reply 76
I meant to say it has outside factors and significant differences between the fan bases (what the other bloke was saying made derbies great) other than just the locality, not that it is about things other than football I just botched the wording

I am aware of what happened with the First Division vote, but I think it's a stretch to say most fans of either team are actually emotionally affected by that. At the end of the day you're both in the Premiership now, and that happened at the turn of the century so none of the Spurs fans alive today would actually feel hard done by because of it. It's just another case of pretending to dislike each other for the sake of it.

It's like when Celtic played Rapid Vienna a couple of years ago. There's a very bitter history there after Vienna players cheated to get a game called off many years ago. That meant nothing to me though.
Reply 77
Original post by TOSCS
I am aware of what happened with the First Division vote, but I think it's a stretch to say most fans of either team are actually emotionally affected by that. At the end of the day you're both in the Premiership now, and that happened at the turn of the century so none of the Spurs fans alive today would actually feel hard done by because of it. It's just another case of pretending to dislike each other for the sake of it.

It's like when Celtic played Rapid Vienna a couple of years ago. There's a very bitter history there after Vienna players cheated to get a game called off many years ago. That meant nothing to me though.

Yeah I know what you mean it isnt really relevant any more Spurs fans still always give it the old go back to South London ****e though, the Sol Campbell thing is a real cause for hatred for them though and having a hated player like Adebayor score against you is less than ideal in your biggest derby for us as well
Reply 78
and having a hated player like Adebayor score against you is less than ideal in your biggest derby for us as well

You think that's bad? Mo Johnston isn't allowed set foot in Glasgow :biggrin:
[INSERT YOUR TEAM] vs Manchester United.

Yeah that's right, we are the most valued team in the whole country. We turn games into a derby.

On the other hand, arrogance aside, it would probably have to be Manchester United vs Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest