The Student Room Group

Biggest/ Best derby in England

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TRS-T
The Second City derby between Villa and Blues (Aston Villa and Birmingham City.)

Most passionate derby in English football.

Here's the video proof:

This is what we need the get the atmosphere back to at St Andrews!
Reply 81
Original post by Manchester United

it would probably have to be Manchester United vs Liverpool.

Lol you support Man U and you think Manchester United vs Liverpool is a derby?

It's not.
Reply 82
Original post by TRS-T

It's not.

It is a derby, they're two local cities. It's just probably not the biggest/best.
Reply 83
I think now days it has to be newcastle sunderland. I'm an arsenal fan and I went up to newcastle last year to visit and it was on Derby weekend and it was at the stadium of light. The city stops literally the streets are full of complete and utter maniacs it's like something off a movie. The place is electric with atmousphere for the whole day pubs open at 7am and are full all day. What an experience. Our london derbys don't even come close to this. You have to experience it to believe the passion up there. Quite incredible.
Original post by TRS-T

It's not.

Of course it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by sr90
Of course it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 years late pal
^ I was wondering who all these random users were
Can't believe Chelsea vs Fulham hasn't been mentioned.
Original post by blue n white army
following on from a very frustrating argument with my geordie house mate who claims that the Newcastle Vs Sunderland is the biggest derbies in england.

What do you all think is the biggest/ derby in england?

Arsenal vs Spurs
All about the NLD! goals, controversy, bitterness and great football. #COYS
Reply 90
Haven't read these posts but it's the North East derby for me.

And that's especially true ( of course) when both teams are in danger of being relegated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 91
NLD is the worst imho. Maybe that's because I live near so many Spurs and Arsenal fans, though. The rivalry just seems based on two sets of fans who are battling to be more irritating.

The Second City one is ****, too. Birmingham and Aston Villa aren't so much sleeping giants as they are in a coma.
Original post by Mackay
NLD is the worst imho. Maybe that's because I live near so many Spurs and Arsenal fans, though. The rivalry just seems based on two sets of fans who are battling to be more irritating.

The Second City one is ****, too. Birmingham and Aston Villa aren't so much sleeping giants as they are in a coma.

Second city Derby is ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a soft spot for Millwall, mainly because of their ace songs and would love to see a Millwall v West Ham game. MIIIIIILLLLLLL
Reply 94
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. Growing up near Luton was pretty horrible. I remember one match when they played Watford and it proper kicked off.

Cardiff-Swansea is pretty horrid, too. My grandparents used to live in the former, and the city was pretty much locked down when the two teams played each other.
Forest v Derby
well, since I am from Nottingham myself lol even Forest v Notts County is bad and probably the oldest one going
We also hate Leicester, Mansfield and Sheffield utd as well the bunch of *****

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
united vs wednesday
Original post by Mackay
Absolutely. Growing up near Luton was pretty horrible. I remember one match when they played Watford and it proper kicked off.

Cardiff-Swansea is pretty horrid, too. My grandparents used to live in the former, and the city was pretty much locked down when the two teams played each other.

I couldn't care less about it, it means nothing to people outside of Birmingham.

Best ones for me (excluding my own team) are Tyne and Wear, North London, Old Firm and Merseyside.
The Tyne-Wear rivalry has history way before football was even a thing. Fought against each other in the civil war and all sorts. The football is/was traditionally more of an outlet for the rivalry rather than the cause of it, which is fairly unique in this country I would suggest.

Can fully appreciate why people from outside the area wouldn't care about it but for the local hype/passion it stands up against any other in the country to be fair.
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't. Neither is West Brom/Villa. It's a proper derby and has thrown up some classics recently. OT/Emirates/Anfield etc, they are sanitised grounds. And Villa Park is not. Was great seeing the cup derby on the BBC, people had never seen anything like it before. "A return to the dark days of the 80s" because the fans actually showed a bit of passion :laugh:

The league game vs Baggies last season (Benteke pen), the Delph 4-3, the 2-2 (twice), far from ****.

Quick Reply

Latest