This discussion is closed.
sammy137
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have decided that I want to do medicine but I currently do Biology Maths Psychology and English Language so I need Chemistry.
Is it possible to get an A-level in one year??
Any help or advice?
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, I had the option to do this (as I wanted to apply to vet med and only had biology AS). My school said its a lot of work and I would have to take units 2,4 and 5 (as 2 is needed for 4) in the summer so that would have been stressful :P In the end I restarted my AS and took chemistry and physics to increase my chances of an offer as I didn't really have enough work experience at the time to apply last year anyway. But it's possible Our school do OCR A which I think is quite easy too as you just need to learn the content... Though there's a lot of it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you in year 12? You could read over some content the summer before you return and get work from your teacher ( I did this too thinking I would be taking it in a year) I would definitely try if you really want to do medicine!

sammy137
Rep:
?
I'm in year 13 so I would have to have an extra year. So yes I probably could do chemistry AS in that year but is just an AS good enough for medicine or do I need the whole A-level?
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah okay well yes it's definitely possible then as you can focus on just the one subject umm you'd have to research different unis but I think you will need the full A level at most places. Doing it will increase your chances and mean you can apply to more unis too.

I've had to do the whole but like I said over 2 years in the end so I could have 3 sciences ( though have ended up with 6 AS levels now so wish I'd decided science at the beginning!) Good luck anyway

sammy137
Rep:
?
But is it possible to do the A-level in the one year or will I have to take 2 years out before uni to get this.
Thanks for your help btw!
myyrh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sammy137)
But is it possible to do the A-level in the one year or will I have to take 2 years out before uni to get this.
Hey I've done what you're trying to do. I was in your exact position last year, did Biology, Maths and Geography at A level and needed Chemistry in order to get into medical school. Doing the A level in one year isn't an issue, finding somewhere to do the practicals is. I was lucky that I found a college which offered intensive evening classes for the full A level. We did AS in January and A2 in June whilst slotting in the practicals.
wallaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes it's possible in 1 year. My sixth form would have let me do it there You can always ask them and the you would attend both AS and A2 lessons and do practicals and exams with your sixth form or if not find somewhere else It depends what else you want to do with your year out as well You may not want to be at school for an extra year, night classes would be good if you wanted to get a job/bank work for experience.

Hippokrates
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If have money you could consider a tutor? Have your college okayed this because I know it wouldn't be an option at mine?
byebyebadman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did this in one year, with a full-time job, completely self-taught. No tutor or anything. Just found a college to take me on as an external candidate. Hardest part was finding somewhere to do the practicals as an ext candidate.

I got AAA for AS, but revised for the wrong practical for A2 (my college sat A2 before AS without making it clear), so I got an E in this module which meant I got a B overall for my full A-level.

Definetly possible. Just use all the free youtube lectures. Khanacademy is particularly good. Use those to understand concepts. Then spend a month or so before exams to memorise past paper mark-schemes revision guides. Exam papers are so similar each year.
Fornacite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just a suggestion, but could you take up the AS (late, but work your butt off to cover what they have so far) this year along with your current A2s, and then just do the A2 next year? You'd take the same amount of time out but may have an easier time learning sequentially rather than all at once and jumbling it up?
sammy137
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fornacite)
Just a suggestion, but could you take up the AS (late, but work your butt off to cover what they have so far) this year along with your current A2s, and then just do the A2 next year? You'd take the same amount of time out but may have an easier time learning sequentially rather than all at once and jumbling it up?
I seriously wish I had thought of this a few months ago, it's a bit too late for doing this now I don't think my sixth form will let me. Ah if only I knew earlier on !!!!!

I think it would be great if I did find a place that does evening classes or lectures or something but I have been researching and it does seem pretty rare.

I now realise that practicals are an issue, so do you literally just ask a college to let you go in and do them? And someone sort of signs you off to say you've done it?
Fornacite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would think that starting the AS late would be easier than doing it all in one year. Maybe say this to whoevers in charge at your college?

Fornacite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also, isn't it possible to get a foundation course in chemistry just for thing kind of thing? Look into those, they're a year long and done by many universities.

myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I seriously wish I had thought of this a few months ago, it's a bit too late for doing this now I don't think my sixth form will let me. Ah if only I knew earlier on !!!!!

I think it would be great if I did find a place that does evening classes or lectures or something but I have been researching and it does seem pretty rare.

I now realise that practicals are an issue, so do you literally just ask a college to let you go in and do them? And someone sort of signs you off to say you've done it?
That's not really how it works. There is a practical element which forms part of the Chemistry A level. It's a sort of coursework/Investigative skills assessment thing which you would undertake at the school or college. They would mark it and the exam board would moderate it.
Fornacite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also very dependent on the board your college too.

I really would look into foundation courses though

Witty Username
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Search for places that do intensive 1 year courses, I don't know where you are, but there are quite a few places that will do this in London and the other big cities.
sammy137
Rep:
?
My sixth form won't let me do it late:/ so is it worth looking into foundation courses then? Are they any good? And sadly I'm not in a good location for this sort of thing down in the south.
Or is another potential idea just not doing chemistry at all and apply to non chemistry med schools? And use next year to build up a good statement?
Witty Username
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My sixth form won't let me do it late:/ so is it worth looking into foundation courses then? Are they any good? And sadly I'm not in a good location for this sort of thing down in the south.
Or is another potential idea just not doing chemistry at all and apply to non chemistry med schools? And use next year to build up a good statement?
You might be eligible for 6 year medical degrees (foundation year+ a 5 year course), have a read of this and see if you meet the criteria for these http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs
myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No such thing as non chemistry medical schools offering five year courses with the exception of maybe UEA. If you can't find a way to do chemistry then you would have to apply to foundation courses, bear in mind they are far more competitive to get in to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads