The Student Room Group

how do i write the best personal statement for drama schools?

Applying to Mountview, GSA, Arts Ed, LSMT and LCM.. Having trouble shortening my personal statement and not listing everything i've done (as i've done alot in the arts). I want to include all i've done but dont want it to be boring! I want them to want me! Any help?!!
Most of the advice I've had is make it as unique as possible to you but steer away from clichés like 'I've always loved it, I've done it since I was little...' etc. The schools say it tends to be really important so I guess try to convey how passionate you are for what you do, if you have done a lot of stuff then they'll see that but avoid just listing it, how did each performance change you and improve your acting?

Hope I could help (: x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by phoebetaylorr
Applying to Mountview, GSA, Arts Ed, LSMT and LCM.. Having trouble shortening my personal statement and not listing everything i've done (as i've done alot in the arts). I want to include all i've done but dont want it to be boring! I want them to want me! Any help?!!

29544017.jpg
Reply 3
hey ruth, thankyou for your help! where are you applying? have you already sent your applications off? if so, what kind of stuff did you put in your PS?

Its always tempting to put everything in but the last thing they want is just a list of everything you've done. Pick a few of your proudest moments and expand on them, explain why they enhanced you as a performer, what you learnt and why you are proud of them. Also change your personal statement for each school (if you are able) to make it more personal to the school and explain why their school would be perfect for you (they like to feel like they are the most special)
x
hey ruth, thankyou for your help! where are you applying? have you already sent your applications off? if so, what kind of stuff did you put in your PS?

Well I'm applying for 8 overall, ALRA, ArtsEd, BSA, Bristol OldVic, Drama Centre, East15, Italia Conti and Rose Bruford. I sent my applications off a little while ago, my first audition is in three weeks :s

Uhhmm basically I put I really enjoy acting, this is what I've done/do therefore proving that I like doing it for my generic UCAS one and then for the little ones I put a bit more about how I make lots of friends doing it, it's a bit difficult to explain :L xx
Reply 6
Thankyou for your advice Ruby, will definitely take it on board!
Reply 7
fair enough, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest