This discussion is closed.
cmurray90602
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
As the title says basically... please don't judge this happened June 2008 and I won't go into details as much but i was accussed of embezzlement from a previous employer and the evidence was stacking up against me with it going to court and such. my lawyer advised me to plead guilty as if i pleaded not guilty and found guilty the sentence would be worse if you get what i mean?

Anyway... i was asked to pay back the money and do community service. I am aware this will show up on my CRB but will it prevent me getting a job as just applied to a new job and cannot start until my crb comes back?

i am not proud of this and like i say this was almost 5 years ago now. Please don't reply with "well it's your own fault"

thanks

moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apply and see what happens, as long as you are open and honest about your conviction on your CRB paperwork and uni application then that's ok. They will probably want to interview you about the issue and the decision to allow you onto the course will be based on that. It's not unheard of, people getting places onto their course and having careers as nurses with criminal records so give it a try and see what happens. Just don't try to hide it as it will get found out.
steph1994
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I does say when you apply for Nursing on UCAS that you need to declare all criminal convictions but also states that they wont necessarily be held against you depending on what the crime was.
I'd imagine if it was something like assault or kidnap then they wouldn't exactly want you to work with vulnerable people but I don't think something like that would be too much of a problem. Especially since you were younger and we all do foolish things at a young age.

Good Luck
Happy_Holidays
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know people on healthcare courses who have a criminal record. They will probably question you about it though.
Kaylaxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yeah I'd apply and see. I'm in my final year doing nursing and my friend on the same course has battery on her crb she's been allowed to continue so worth a shot

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It all depends on the offence and the circumstances. It might be wise to speak to admissions before you apply just in case
sabian92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You might be OK. They generally dislike convictions like murder and child rape which are both serious convictions.

Did you actually commit embezzlement or just plead guilty for a lesser sentence?
Shattered Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You guys are so understanding of the fact that mistakes can be made in life. Unfortunately for me, I committed a crime twelve years ago and every time that I declare it, it's an instant rejection. I had my heart set on nursing and the crime I regrettably committed is theft. Although I have never tried to hide or justify my crime, I just can't seem to get past the CRB application stage. I've had to give up my dream of becoming a nurse and can no longer work as a HCA as employers choose not to look beyond the CRB certificate even though I have impeccable references from my previous employers and the few families who gave me a chance to care for their loved ones. Society is very judgemental and unforgiving regardless of an individual's rehabilitation. So to all of you who have spent convictions, I wish you all the best in pursuing your chosen career paths but in my experience there is no such thing as a
katiehigginsxo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had reprimands on my CRB from shoplifting in 2009 and when I applied for university to do Adult Nursing I declared my convictions. I then attended an interview but then after that they asked me to write down my situation and how I have reflected from it and I also had to get a personal and professional reference so they could see what kind of person I am. I had to take these to the university and have a meeting with some of the leaders of the course. They were lovely and it went well and they basically said that it isn't up to them, it's up to the placement board because if they aren't happy then I cannot do placements and that is the whole purpose of the nursing course!
Anyway I got an offer for the course however it wasn't for the year I wanted and I had to be deferred a year due to the placements. I am now currently doing a gap year until I start my course in September 2015, but I'm fine with it now as it gives me time to work and save money for university!
Also the first time I had a CRB check was at college in 2012 and this came up with my reprimands and I got worried because I didn't know it was going to show up. However, the CRB checks then changed to DBS checks and this year I have had two of these done for a college placement and a child care job and they both came back clear! I think the DBS checks only show up major incidents or unspent ones but I was also told at the time in 2009 that the incident would be cleared from my records in 5 years time, so maybe that was why my DBS was clear?
Sorry for the massive amount of writing but I hope this helped you and made you less worried!
x
Gobberts
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I have just recieved an unconditional offer for Nursing.
I have a criminal record and have got to send info in so it can go to a panel.
Caution and charge for shoplifting in a three month period 7 year's ago I have since volunteered for 2 year's for the Health Improvement service and work as a carer at extra support housing.
Could you please give me some Advice.
Thankyou....
nursewillis46
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have more convictions than you I'm a nurse I think you need to fight....... your right people are judgmental but if it's truly your dream FIGHT
Gobberts
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nursewillis46)
I have more convictions than you I'm a nurse I think you need to fight....... your right people are judgmental but if it's truly your dream FIGHT
What do they say about you Criminal Record and if you don't mind me Asking what where they for??
Liz10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I have a shoplifting conviction from when I was 19 I am now 36 would this effect me getting in to nursing
Liz10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello I have a shoplifting charge from when I was 19 I am now 36 will this stop me getting in to nursing
daveytheblue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi my mother died and my little girls mum in the same day, im a nurse and due to the shock and stress, i got drunk and had a fight with my current partner, we both sustained bruises, we dont remember how it happened,or anything about the night, but I was arrested and awoke in a police cell, im waiting to see what the consequences are, as I go back in may, I too am a nurse, im 45 and have never been in trouble in my life, i will be so upse,t if they dont let me continue nursing, as the stress was so over whelming, which caused the fight, me and my missis love each other, It will ruin both me and my missis lives, I know where people are coming from when they send messages to this
Liz10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's great well done wish u all the best for your future
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The most important thing is declare your convictions ASAP.

If you declare them straight away, on the application form (they can't bar you from interview for declaring on the application form as they don't see it), and bring it up at interview, you can be totally honest and you will probably find if it's something that's not related to healthcare and your ability to be left safely with patients then you will not have a problem. Problems arise when people do not declare their convictions. Not declaring makes you look dishonest and like you're covering something up. We do and will find out!

Generally as others said as long as you haven't got twenty battery/assault convictions or been in prison for a serious crime such as sexual assault or manslaughter, you'll be ok.
tiaa911
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9;55358intet71)
Tin prie most important thing is declare your convictions ASAP.

If you declare them straight away, on the application form (they can't bar you from interview for declaring on the application form as they don't see it), and bring it up at interview, you can be totally honest and you will probably find if it's something that's not related to healthcare and your ability to be left safely with patients then you will not have a problem. Problems arise when people do not declare their convictions. Not declaring makes you look dishonest and like you're covering something up. We do and will find out!

Generally as others said as long as you haven't got twenty battery/assault convictions or been in prison for a serious crime such as sexual assault or manslaughter, you'll be ok.

Hi guys

Sorry to hijack your reply

I am so nervous, I a conviction for using a forged passport, now I have my british passport all is ok, worked for a charity bringing up children and work as a hca now.

But I spent 4 and half months in remand.here in the uk for the crime.

How best to write my statement in a positive way.

1. Do you think I have a chance

2.if they call me for a fitness and conduct Interview what will they be looking at from me.

What should I do

How do I say all this in a better way

Please please help I really want to get a chance to be a nurse

Many thanks
tiaa911
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTdo theyme_now9;55358771]The most importismfine nt thing is declare your convictions ASAP.

Generally as others said as long as you haven't got twenty battery/assault convictions or been in prison for a serious crime such as sexual assault or manslaughter, you'll be ok.[/QUOTE]

Please help

I have a forged passport conviction.now all fine I have my british passport.
This happened10 years ago

Now tell me plz how do I write the statement

What are the dos and donts
What do they say when I get there

How can I come across as a good person please help.
Thanks
jennifer1986
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi. I have theft on my criminal record from 2004. I got into nursing, got into agency care work. Just applied for NHS bank auxillary and i've hit a problem. They told me ill struggle to get a job, they told me i might not get this one. waiting on a reply. Feeling deflated cause they let me into uni and let me onto placement no probs
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads