The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Malaysian campus

Does anyone study there and could give a bit of info about life over there. I'd like to study somewhere warm, it's a perfect place. Their website hosts very little info compared to UK campus. Aren't there any scholarships?
Reply 1
I have no idea about thew campus etc but I do know Malaysia is a wonderful country.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's nice to hear that. Aren't there no other people studying in UNMC?
Reply 3
Original post by Rytis95
Does anyone study there and could give a bit of info about life over there. I'd like to study somewhere warm, it's a perfect place. Their website hosts very little info compared to UK campus. Aren't there any scholarships?

Rytis, I'm a Malaysian. I have friends who study economics and chemical engineering, and so far, they've only been giving good feedbacks about the university.

Best thing to do is to email the admissions office directly or even better, give them a call! ask them anything! I'm sure your questions would be answered.
Reply 4
I've already emailed them with bunch of questions. 3 days have passed and still no response. I can't call them because times zones are different and I only call the when it's 3 AM to 10 AM. There is very little info an their website, but I have one very important question: What about actual teaching and research? In their prospectus there's a sentence about professional recognition "Many of our courses are taught at The University of Nottingham in the UK are accredited by professional bodies. However, this may not be the case for courses taught in Malaysia and you should contact the relevant faculty for more information." Does this mean that I get the same diploma, but it will not be as valuable as one in the UK?

Here's the list of questions I've sent to them. I hope someone here can answer at least few of them:
1. Wen do admissions for 2013 September courses start and when is the deadline?
2. Are there any scholarships for international students other than that excellence award?
3. Can I apply to UNMC finish my first year int here and last two in your other campuses or partner Universities?
4. If I spend my second/third year on your UK campus, can I get an UK tuition loan?
5. Is on-campus accommodation guaranteed for first year students?
6. What about the weather? How much does it rain?
7. How much do I have to when spending a year abroad?
8. In your prospectus is said: " Many of our courses taught at The University of Nottingham in the UK are accredited by professional bodies. However, this may not be the case for courses taught in Malaysia and you should contact the relevant faculty for more information.'' Does this mean that after I graduate, I'll get the same diploma as UK students, but it will not be as recognized as the other one?
9. Why are entry requirements lower in UNMC? Is quality of research and teaching lower in your campus?
10. Do your lecturers mostly come from UK?
11. What about the computing facilities? Are computers up to date?
12. Are there a lot of European students?
13. What are requirements for Lithuanian students? I'd like to study BSc Computer Science which requires A-levels of BCC.
14. Can I take IELTS exam after I get your offer? Or does it have to be already taken prior to applying?
15. Do you even give out offer? Or is it a whole different system from UCAS?

I know, there are awfully lot of questions, but I hope you understand that this is very important for me.
Reply 5
Original post by Rytis95
I've already emailed them with bunch of questions. 3 days have passed and still no response. I can't call them because times zones are different and I only call the when it's 3 AM to 10 AM. There is very little info an their website, but I have one very important question: What about actual teaching and research? In their prospectus there's a sentence about professional recognition "Many of our courses are taught at The University of Nottingham in the UK are accredited by professional bodies. However, this may not be the case for courses taught in Malaysia and you should contact the relevant faculty for more information." Does this mean that I get the same diploma, but it will not be as valuable as one in the UK?

Here's the list of questions I've sent to them. I hope someone here can answer at least few of them:
2. Are there any scholarships for international students other than that excellence award?
3. Can I apply to UNMC finish my first year int here and last two in your other campuses or partner Universities?
4. If I spend my second/third year on your UK campus, can I get an UK tuition loan?
8. In your prospectus is said: " Many of our courses taught at The University of Nottingham in the UK are accredited by professional bodies. However, this may not be the case for courses taught in Malaysia and you should contact the relevant faculty for more information.'' Does this mean that after I graduate, I'll get the same diploma as UK students, but it will not be as recognized as the other one?
9. Why are entry requirements lower in UNMC? Is quality of research and teaching lower in your campus?
13. What are requirements for Lithuanian students? I'd like to study BSc Computer Science which requires A-levels of BCC.
14. Can I take IELTS exam after I get your offer? Or does it have to be already taken prior to applying?

I know, there are awfully lot of questions, but I hope you understand that this is very important for me.

Everything about an application process you can find on University of Nottingham website. As far as I know, there is a different applicants portal, not UCAS. I am not sure how it is in Malaysia campus, but in China Ningbo campus it is possible to do 1st and 2nd years in China and next two in the UK. Btw, 1st year is like a foundation year for Chinese, who are not good at English. I think a similar system should be in Malaysia as well. You can apply for an exchange semester/year either in UK or China campuses or in one of the university's partners.
I think the quality of teaching should be similar as it is in the UK campus.. maybe a bit lower. But there are some British tutors , so it shouldn't be worse. European students should mainly be exchange students, who usually come there for one semester or the year.
If requirements are BCC for A levels, it shouldn't be very high for Lithuanian qualification. I believe no more than 60-70% in Brandos atestatas. You can take IELTS whenever you want before August or September.
Reply 6
Original post by Rytis95

No offense but if you are committed, you would wait until the time zones are right and call them between 10AM to 5pm GMT +8

I sent emails to UK universities and got responses ranging from a day to 2 weeks.
Reply 7
Original post by vazee
Everything about an application process you can find on University of Nottingham website. As far as I know, there is a different applicants portal, not UCAS. I am not sure how it is in Malaysia campus, but in China Ningbo campus it is possible to do 1st and 2nd years in China and next two in the UK. Btw, 1st year is like a foundation year for Chinese, who are not good at English. I think a similar system should be in Malaysia as well. You can apply for an exchange semester/year either in UK or China campuses or in one of the university's partners.
I think the quality of teaching should be similar as it is in the UK campus.. maybe a bit lower. But there are some British tutors , so it shouldn't be worse. European students should mainly be exchange students, who usually come there for one semester or the year.
If requirements are BCC for A levels, it shouldn't be very high for Lithuanian qualification. I believe no more than 60-70% in Brandos atestatas. You can take IELTS whenever you want before August or September.

Thanks. Any more opinions from people studying there?
(edited 11 years ago)
I know that Im like 2 year late or something, but Id like to know what happened? Did you make it? Do you have any advices? Im thinking of applying there as well. :/
Hi, I am student here, 1st year biotech. Got in with NZ certification. Think the same like u at the beginning as I saw the entry requirement. But it a big surprise when I got in. Actually student here are really good. 5 of my friends get all A in A level... they r Asian so quite competitive, dunno why they put that low requirement.... but according to locals it is the best university in Malay. Students r rich and good. We have different exam questions but lectures tell me that they send to uk for second round of marking. And there some rumours that they give unmc student lower mark than uk even though we got the same level. Dunno it is true or not but.... conclusion, it is good. Living here is cheap for uk people, for one month, include everything u need £400, max.
Reply 10

Yes you may apply to the other campuses for exchange (either a full year or one semester, depending on your course). However, should you want to complete the last 2 years abroad in the other campuses, you can apply for a transfer. Instead of paying the Malaysian fees, you will be paying the fees of the country you are transferring to

I think you will have to check with the UK campus on this

On-campus is reserved for all first year students with priority given to international students

Depending on the month. It rains quite a lot during the monsoon season

Students studying in the UNMC campus as well as the China campus will all receive the same certification, as with the UK campus the country where the degree is being done at will not be stated in the certificate

Varies with the different courses as well. But we do have UK lecturers on campus

The computers are relatively up to date and there’s constant upgrading done

We have a mixture of students here ranging from Asia to Middle East. However, most of the international students here are from the Middle East

Application is based on a different system and not UCAS. It is done online on the school’s website
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending