The Student Room Group

AQA Lit B - LITB1 Aspects of Narrative Retake 18th January 2013

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="somebodyguideme;40494191"]
Original post by Unsworth
NOTE ANYONE DOING GATSBY FOR THIS QUESTION - Only chapter 7 hasn't come up yet since this exam has been made. Every other chapter has come up once. Make of it as you will, but personally I think chapter 7 will come up in January, as they have to include all the chapters at some point. But don't let that distract you from revising the other chapters too, as AQA may be annoying and do a chapter that has been done already.

I wish they'd make it easy haha :frown: .. Just a correction - I think it's only chapter 6 that hasn't come up because chapter 7 came up for June

Chapter 7 came up in May 2012, it was bloody hard since there's so much to write!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
[QUOTE="Astrid_Bastrid;40498663"]
Original post by somebodyguideme

Chapter 7 came up in May 2012, it was bloody hard since there's so much to write!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Oops I meant chapter 6. I thought it was alright but can see what you mean :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school our teachers taught us all to do The Kite Runner for section A and Gatsby for section B, however I just hated The Kite Runner so did it the other way around!

I have this exam on 18th January and i'm not looking forward to it - I don't think i'll do the books for section AA and AB because there are far too many possible chapters to ask questions on. I think I might do The ancient Mariner or Auden and leave the books for section B :biggrin: Poems are a lot shorter and more condensed so it's easier to pick bits out to analyse.

I absolutely love my teacher for not making us do Tennyson... although both the Ancient Mariner and Tennyson's poetry both use archaic lexis and although most people who have studied both the ancient mariner and Tennyson have complained that the Ancient Mariner is just Tennyson's poetry on steriods, its much better to being doing just the Ancient Mariner rather than Tennyson or worse, both.
Reply 23
Original post by Aelathehuntress
I have this exam on 18th January and i'm not looking forward to it - I don't think i'll do the books for section AA and AB because there are far too many possible chapters to ask questions on. I think I might do The ancient Mariner or Auden and leave the books for section B :biggrin: Poems are a lot shorter and more condensed so it's easier to pick bits out to analyse.

Yeah, that is another reason why I chose to do Gatsby rather than Kite Runner. As only 2 chapters hadn't been asked before in Gatsby, whereas in Kite Runner it was out of about 12 so it just made sense to do it that way.

The only thing I would add is although the poems are a lot shorter, it will ask about a specific part of the poem, so it leaves you with a lot less to talk about as you may be asked about a part with only say 8 lines. So if you do do this, make sure you have lots to say about every line at least of the poem. The advantage of using a book for Section A is there is more to write about, so it gives you room to pick and chose more rather than being forced into writing about a certain thing.
Yeah, that is another reason why I chose to do Gatsby rather than Kite Runner. As only 2 chapters hadn't been asked before in Gatsby, whereas in Kite Runner it was out of about 12 so it just made sense to do it that way.

The only thing I would add is although the poems are a lot shorter, it will ask about a specific part of the poem, so it leaves you with a lot less to talk about as you may be asked about a part with only say 8 lines.

Thanks for the advice! I would have preferred to do the Great Gatsby over the kite runner as I think the kite runner has some serious plot issues, also the era that the Great Gatsby is set in is just so compelling.

For the poems, past questions have indicated that they will ask about one part of the Ancient Mariner and usually an entire poem out of the 7/6 (depending on whose poetry you've studied), but like you've said the question will be very focused so it's possible there might not be enough to draw out of it for a well rounded essay. I'm a bit worried about this so I might focus just on the Ancient Mariner for section AA and not Auden's poetry; there is enough in each section to write a substantial amount and if not I could always scrape the barrel and talk about meters and their effect on pace or something...
Reply 25
Original post by lisa96
Do you have any example essays that i could look at for great gatsby? i keep getting high cs/ low bs in my essays :frown:

On my laptop all I have is one essay I did on 'How does Fitzgerald tell the story in chapter 6' - it got an A when marked so may be useful.

All my marked essays for the second part of Section A and for Section B were handwritten unfortunately.
Reply 26
Original post by lisa96
Thanks :smile: For SectionA part A how many points should i write about for L/S/F ? Like two each or should i write more??

Depends how much detail you go into in each point. Ideally 2 really, but 1 is fine if it goes into quite a lot of depth, I wouldn't do more then 3 though.
If anyone wants any advice for this exam be it on structure, content, analysis, context, whatever, feel free to PM me - I loved it to bits and got 120/120 ums for it in the summer.

The texts I studied were The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Robert Browning poems.

How would you recommend hitting the AO3 and AO4 assement objectives, that seems to be where im struggling
Reply 28
Original post by mandem2k11
How would you recommend hitting the AO3 and AO4 assement objectives, that seems to be where im struggling

The key to getting high AO3 marks is to simply give lots of alternative interpretations/views/opinions when analysing a quote/literary device and the reasons the author may have included it/used it. Basically, rather than say 'Author X has done this because..' say 'It could be seen that Author X does this because.. however, another view is that Author X does this because..' and similar things to that. Simply just give more then one view when analysing a quote, this shouldn't be too difficult as the majority of quotes can be interpreted in a variety of ways! As long as you relay these different views to the examiner then you should get high marks for AO3.

AO4 is in my opinion the hardest to get high marks for in this exam. Remember you are only assessed on AO4 in Section A Question 2. The way to pick up good marks for this is to try and seamlessly slide a sentence or two of context into your answer, rather than just pinning it in there making it seem forced. In terms of what content to include for this, just research it yourself, it isn't too difficult to find good stuff to include that is relevant. You only need in my opinion 3 good sentences that are purely context related in your answer in this essay to get into the top band. You will get more marks for including 3 good sentences that seamlessly fit into your answer, then including several sentences that just seem bolted on to your answer.
Reply 29
What do you guys think of this essay?

How does Tennyson use narrative methods to tell the story of Mariana?

Tennyson’s poem ‘Mariana’ is about a character in Shakespeare’s ‘Measure for Measure’ play called Mariana. However, Tennyson chooses to focus upon Mariana’s character after her lover Angelo returns and before the ending in which she is reunited and eventually marries Angelo. This suggests that Tennyson is far more interested in loss and grief rather than the joys of love. Tennyson uses narrative methods in order to explore such themes.

Tennyson uses the form of a lyrical ballad which is important as it creates a hypnotic trance this is helped by rhyme scheme of ABABCDDCEFEF. This creates the idea that feelings of loss and guilt are trapping and inevitable. Structurally this is reiterated through the use of repetition. Tennyson conveys Mariana’s suicidal thoughts through to the reader as she constantly repeats, ‘I would that I were dead’. Perhaps Tennyson is suggesting that loss and grief is natural occurrence in life that people face; he does this though the form of the lyrical ballad, and the use of repetition.

Tennyson tells the story in chronological order however he decides to focus on a specific moment in Mariana’s life. He focuses on the period in the play where Mariana longs for the return of her lover Angelo. Tennyson decides to elongate time in the poem. Mariana stays awake from when the ‘night fowl cries’ till the ‘sparrows chirrup on the roof’. Tennyson could be elongating time in order to prolong Mariana’s suffering, Tennyson does this is to present loss and grief and long and painful periods which cannot be swept over. Structurally Tennyson successfully explores the painful resonance of loss and grief as long and painful processes, and achieves through his use of time.

The setting in Mariana plays a role in shaping the narrative. ‘Mariana’ is set ‘upon a lonely moated grange’. The setting at the beginning of the poem remains the setting at the end, highlighting Mariana’s lack of movement and activity. This is reiterated through the symbol of water. Tennyson often used water in his poetry in order to represent activity and inactivity. The stagnant water around the moat clearly represents stagnation and inactivity. Tennyson’s indicates that loss and grief are isolating and lonely, and through his setting he is able to create the perfect environment to tackle those ideas.

Through his use of lexical clusters of death and decay such as ‘blackest moss’ and ‘rusted’ Tennyson underlines the links between death and grief, suggesting that just like death grief is a natural occurrence that we all accept. Furthermore, the use of pathetic fallacy helps to reflect the state of Mariana. The shed is described as looking ‘sad and strange’. By using these techniques Tennyson is able to explore grief as powerful and claustrophobic to the extent that everything around Mariana’s life crumbles and falls like the ‘nails’. Tennyson uses language to shape his narrative into descriptive insightful study of grief and loss.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Can anybody help me I'm writing a section B essay on characterisation. I have said that Fitzgerald allows Nick to create a romantic image which is slowly uncovered, I also said he was unreliable and embellishes things which are too dark or horrible to imagine. This is evident when he goes to Wilson's home and imagines that there are 'romantic apartments' hidden away. But I don't think I'll get much marks for just saying this what do I do now? How should I evaluate and finally what is the significance of this all? What does it signify? Why is it important?
Reply 31
Sorry for destroying this forum but I really need help!

Write about some of the ways characters are created in the three texts that you have studied.
42 Marks

It could be argued that Coleridge characterises the mariner in ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner’ so as to fit with the form of a Christian allegory. Coleridge uses lexical clusters in reference to the mariners age such as ‘ancient’ and ‘grey beard’ these help structurally as the elderly are often thought to be wise and knowledgeable. This gives the mariner gravity and solemnity but most importantly didactic control, by playing a didactic story in the hands of the ‘ancient mariner’ gives the story more authority. By utilising the ideas and beliefs people have about the elderly and wisdom Coleridge is able to give more moral weight to the authority figure.

However it is hard to ignore the gothic conventions in the novel. Both the mariner and life in death seem both familiar yet strange. This is evident when the mariner is described as having a ‘glittering eye’ this as well as his dishevelled appearance play a role in creating fear through horror. The reader’s disgust is reflected through the wedding guest’s constant interjections ‘I fear the ancient mariner’. The character life in death is possibly as uncanny if not, more. Her free appearance such as her ‘golden locks’ and ‘red lips’ is juxtaposed against her dreadfully pale skin which is described as ‘white as leprosy’. The character is used to symbolise the uncertainty in life, this is reiterated when his life chanced on a game of ‘dice’.

In Fitzgerald’s scandalous prose ‘The Great Gatsby’ Fitzgerald authorial choice to allow Nick as a self conscious narrator leads to Gatsby being presented from Nick’s eyes. Nick presents Gatsby as a romantic hero from the very start as he reaches out to the ‘green light’ in the ‘silver peppers of the stars’. Nick elevates the status of Gatsby; his recordings of Gatsby’s life are almost hagiographic preserving his romantic deeds for the future to read. By establishing Gatsby’s nature as ‘gorgeous’ it is Nick who puts the ‘great’ in the eponymous title. As the reader continues the Gatsby’s facade is revealed, ‘he’s a bootlegger’. Fitzgerald is making the reader question whether we should trust every Nick says as he is clearly an unreliable narrator. As critic Mullan stated ‘the critical issue is not whether we believe in the character, but whether we believe what the narrator says about the narrator.

However from a Marxist perspective Gatsby’s character could also be a narrative device used by Fitzgerald to explore the deconstruction of capitalist society. His attempts to make himself worthy to be part of the ‘old money’ are rejected by the elite, such as Nick who calls him a ‘redneck’. The two characters who try climb up the social ladder in the novel are both worse by the end. Tanner argues that ‘Gatsby is America’, perhaps Gatsby’s futile attempts to reach the reach the ‘green light’ and fraudulent character does represent America and more importantly the American dream. Fitzgerald could be indicating this at the end of the narrative that perhaps the American dream is just a dream rather than reality which could be lived in, this is evident when Nick states that the ‘green light’ may not have represented the ‘orgiastic future’ but was just a light.

Throughout McCarthy’s novel ‘The Road’ the book tends to be agnostic with the father constantly doubting the existence of god, in the apocalyptic world. It could be argued that there are times in the novel where the boy takes the role of God in the eyes of his father. This infatuation is revealed when narrator descries a moment between the father and son as an ‘ancient anointment’ and later suggesting that if there was nothing else to build they should ‘construct ceremonies out of air and breathe into them’. The language in this extract of the book is very biblical and mirrors the creation of life in the bible. The boy is represented almost as deity and this provides the father which is significance as there is little else motivation the in the ‘cold intestate earth’ to keep the father motivated to live.

If the form of the narrative is considered to be a morality tale teaching humanity the consequences of living such destructive lifestyles, McCarthy uses characters to prevent people from leading such lives. McCarthy draws on this through the use of the Roadrat, where he debases humanity. The Roadrat is thought of as a leech or scavenger, physically he becomes a parasite who feasts upon others. The characterisation of the Roadrat acts as deterrent, stopping people from living such reckless and thoughtless lives.
Reply 32
Another one guys, :P

How does Tennyson use narrative methods in Tithonus?

In Tennyson’s poem Tithonus Tennyson chooses to study the life of Tithonus, however he only focuses on a particular part after the initial joy of receiving his gift but before his eventual death. Tennyson could be exploring the poem as morality tale highlighting the saddening consequences of selfish actions.
Tennyson uses the form a dramatic monologue as it gives the reader insight into Tithonus’ deepest thoughts.

Tennyson makes it clear from the start that Tithonus’ vanity is to blame for his melancholic behaviour as he mournfully states ‘Me only cruel immortality consumes.’ Tennyson uses dramatic monologue is important as the reader essentially becomes the listener and must listen to Tithonus’ woeful tale; by using dramatic monologue a connection is made between the poet and the reader. Through this connection Tennyson can spread his message about human vanity, the form of dramatic monologue acts as a medium between the reader and Tennyson through which Tennyson can teach his moral message.

Tennyson use structure through his use of narrative perspective. Tennyson allows Tithonus to compare his current self as a ‘gray shadow’ to his youthful days ‘so glorious in his beauty’. The change of narrative perspective allows Tennyson to compare the withered Tithonus to his younger self. This is important as it teaches the dangers of human vanity, his wish had turned him into the opposite of what he had hoped to become. Tennyson uses this change in narrative perspective to teach the devastating consequences of human vanity.

Tennyson creates the perfect environment to teach his morals. Tithonus is in the woods during autumn as the ‘woods decay’ and ‘fall’. This is quite ironic as Tithonus wishes to dies but is unable to die because he is immortal. Tennyson highlights how the very thing that Tithonus wants is happening all around him but he is stagnant in the natural cycle of life. Tennyson uses the setting as a structural devise effectively by juxtaposing it against the immortal Tithonus.
Tennyson acknowledges the noble people who have lived humble and lives and who have the pleasures of dying. Tennyson does this when Aurora is said to bring warmth to the ‘happy men’ who have the ‘power to die’ and those dead in the ‘grassy barrows’. The lexical cluster in reference to death is not as stagnant and dismal in comparison to the death imagery at the start of the poem. Instead death is presented as the natural end of a cycle and a moment that should be appreciated.

Structurally, the ending plays a major role in shaping the narrative. Tennyson decides to crop of the ending of the original story and finish the poem at this point. This serves a dual purpose. The first being the fact that Tithonus does not deserve a response, Tithonus begs ‘release me’ as he tries to escape immortality. However he doesn’t deserve a response from Aurora as she has been blamed for his mistakes as he moans that men shouldn’t pass ‘beyond the goal of ordinance’. But more importantly to prolong his suffering, by cropping the original ending Tennyson is able to make his suffering eternal. Perhaps Tennyson exposes the truth behind greed that the punishment is so severe that you can never escape it, by teaching such a strong message Tennyson is able to spread his message.
Reply 33
'utilise your AO3 again here giving a variety of interpretations, but also evaluate these to make it clear which you think has more strength to it. '

Thank you sososososo much for all he advice and help :biggrin: Is really helping. I was just wandering, you know where you said ' evaluate these..', what do you mean by evaluate? As in could you give me an example of it please? And also, by interpretations, are they just interpretations of certain aspects were discussing?
Reply 34
Original post by ruzna1441
'utilise your AO3 again here giving a variety of interpretations, but also evaluate these to make it clear which you think has more strength to it. '

Thank you sososososo much for all he advice and help :biggrin: Is really helping. I was just wandering, you know where you said ' evaluate these..', what do you mean by evaluate? As in could you give me an example of it please? And also, by interpretations, are they just interpretations of certain aspects were discussing?

So by evaluate you basically say which interpretation/view/opinion is the strongest/weakest/best etc. This only really has to be a sentence long, but it adds to your essay and will definitely help get into the high band 5/6.

The typical way to evaluate is just literally to say something along the lines of 'The stronger view is that..' or 'Although some people may agree with this view, the more fitting view is..' just little things like that is how you evaluate.

Here is an example from my recent piece of coursework of an evaluation point I made:

"Many would argue that ‘actions speak louder than words’ and that a character’s actions will contribute more to the definition of them than their language, but I disagree. The more fitting argument is that although it could be seen that most characters are defined by their actions, the narrator is ultimately defined by their language."

So in the above I give two different interpretations/points of view, evaluating it by stating that I don't agree with the former and that the latter is a more appropriate viewpoint.

You may notice also that the above is an example from the start of a paragraph, you don't have to leave your evaluation to the end of your paragraph, it can also be done easily at the start when first making your points.

Different interpretations simply refers to whatever point you are talking about/quote you are analysing and having more then one view or opinion on the matter. Obviously you will be discussing an aspect of the text, but there can be interpretation that refer to the text as a whole rather than a particular aspect of it, but this will usually be applied to context.
Reply 35
is any one doing kite runner for section A?? i need major help and also did any study pride and prejudice??
Reply 36
So by evaluate you basically say which interpretation/view/opinion is the strongest/weakest/best etc. This only really has to be a sentence long, but it adds to your essay and will definitely help get into the high band 5/6.

The typical way to evaluate is just literally to say something along the lines of 'The stronger view is that..' or 'Although some people may agree with this view, the more fitting view is..' just little things like that is how you evaluate.

Here is an example from my recent piece of coursework of an evaluation point I made:

"Many would argue that ‘actions speak louder than words’ and that a character’s actions will contribute more to the definition of them than their language, but I disagree. The more fitting argument is that although it could be seen that most characters are defined by their actions, the narrator is ultimately defined by their language."

So in the above I give two different interpretations/points of view, evaluating it by stating that I don't agree with the former and that the latter is a more appropriate viewpoint.

You may notice also that the above is an example from the start of a paragraph, you don't have to leave your evaluation to the end of your paragraph, it can also be done easily at the start when first making your points.

Different interpretations simply refers to whatever point you are talking about/quote you are analysing and having more then one view or opinion on the matter. Obviously you will be discussing an aspect of the text, but there can be interpretation that refer to the text as a whole rather than a particular aspect of it, but this will usually be applied to context.

Thank you sooo muchhh :biggrin: Will be working on that :smile: So for example, of were looking at a question on Gatsby Part A, question 2, you just have to slip the interpeation in and analyse it as you go along? an example pleaase? Thanks againn
Reply 37
Original post by ruzna1441
Thank you sooo muchhh :biggrin: Will be working on that :smile: So for example, of were looking at a question on Gatsby Part A, question 2, you just have to slip the interpeation in and analyse it as you go along? an example pleaase? Thanks againn

Yes, or alternatively you make a point, include a quote then do different interpretations of it.

Okay here is an example of something you could do for it, just a quick one I have thought of:

It could be seen that Fitzgerald uses the green light repeatedly throughout the novel as a symbol for his love for Daisy. This is epitomised in the concluding page where Nick says: "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us." Here, Fitzgerald may have used "the green light" as a symbol for his unattainable love for Daisy which "recedes before us". It can be seen as Gatsby's dream to get the love of his life, but one that is fading away and always getting further from him. Alternatively, one may also interpret the green light as a symbol for the ever present theme of the American dream. It could be seen that the green light is this dream that Americans strive for and aim to achieve, yet they too are failing at achieving their dream. Fitzgerald uses it to represent the motives of the characters in the novel being wrong, and that in the process of trying to seek this dream they are only getting further from achieving this, which is what the words "recedes before us" can be seen to represent.

So this is structured in just the conventional Point, Evidence, Explanation way and hopefully that is clear.

There are 2 clear different interpretations here: 1. The green light representing Gatsby's love for Daisy.
2. The green light representing the American dream.

This is just a quick 5 minute paragraph that could be worked easily into an answer for Section A, question 2 or Section B - but it shows simply how to use 'different interpretations'. In the case here I have put forward different interpretations for a quote/symbol. You don't have to do it this way you can have different interpretations for other things also.

Hope it helps
Reply 38
Can anyone explain to me how you effectively "explore, analyse, and evaluate"? This is the only thing that I am really struggling with.
Reply 39
Yes, or alternatively you make a point, include a quote then do different interpretations of it.

Okay here is an example of something you could do for it, just a quick one I have thought of:

It could be seen that Fitzgerald uses the green light repeatedly throughout the novel as a symbol for his love for Daisy. This is epitomised in the concluding page where Nick says: "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us." Here, Fitzgerald may have used "the green light" as a symbol for his unattainable love for Daisy which "recedes before us". It can be seen as Gatsby's dream to get the love of his life, but one that is fading away and always getting further from him. Alternatively, one may also interpret the green light as a symbol for the ever present theme of the American dream. It could be seen that the green light is this dream that Americans strive for and aim to achieve, yet they too are failing at achieving their dream. Fitzgerald uses it to represent the motives of the characters in the novel being wrong, and that in the process of trying to seek this dream they are only getting further from achieving this, which is what the words "recedes before us" can be seen to represent.

So this is structured in just the conventional Point, Evidence, Explanation way and hopefully that is clear.

There are 2 clear different interpretations here: 1. The green light representing Gatsby's love for Daisy.
2. The green light representing the American dream.

This is just a quick 5 minute paragraph that could be worked easily into an answer for Section A, question 2 or Section B - but it shows simply how to use 'different interpretations'. In the case here I have put forward different interpretations for a quote/symbol. You don't have to do it this way you can have different interpretations for other things also.

Hope it helps

Thank you for all your help! I'm also confused as to what the five main aspects of narrative are? I've been hearing all sorts of different things and don't want to end up writing about the wrong stuff! I also don't think I've been taught form properly as I haven't got a clue what it is. Is form also style?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending