The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge

I want to apply for a Maths or Economics Degree at Oxford and have a few questions.

Do IGCSE's matter? these are all the Cambridge exam board CIE, if it matters at all.
I got

Maths-A
English-A
Business Studies-A
French-A
German-A*
Portuguese-A*
Biology-B (78..if it matters)
Literature-B
And this is what i'm worried about a B in physics (79%) which was just stupid and reckless.
Just wondering if this could affect my entry possibilities? Or if A levels > GCSE

I'm doing

Maths A level-predicted A*

Further Maths A level-predicted A

Economics A level-predicted A

Portuguese AS level-B

German AS level-A

I was wondering If I should take on AS physics and just get the A in it, which I know I can. Will this cancel out my stupid B at IGCSE? Or should I just retake the IGCSE although it was over a year ago? Im just unsure how much attention will they pay to the B at IGCSE? Since I want to do Maths based subject i.e Maths or Maths with Economics. And would the Mechanics modules with high scores possibly cancel this out, so say M1 M2 M3 at 85 plus?

Also when applying to I need to show all my IGCSE's? Could I not ignore presenting the Physics Grade since I have enough GCSE's already?

Last question: How much do extracurricular activities affect chances in admissions?

Thanks a lot guys it really helps :smile:
Of course a university will ignore the B at IGCSE if you get an A at AS level, as it is much harder. I wouldn't recommend retaking a GCSE whilst studying for A levels.

You can't just leave out your physics grade. You need to include all your qualifications.

For a Maths or Maths with Economics degree I would think that extra curriculars wouldn't matter that much, but it's always nice to have them.
Reply 2
You're grades are fine for Oxford, I wouldn't worry about the B.

If you're thinking about applying this year it's already too late though I'm afraid, the deadline for Oxbridge was on the 15th October.

Finally, extra curricular activities are not all that important, Oxford are primarily concerned with your academic ability and your reasons as to why you want to study the degree that you have chosen. This is the same with most universities to be honest, I would focus 80% of your personal statement on the academic side of things and 20% on extra curricular. Also, you need to make your extra curricular activities relevant, don't just say 'I'm in the school rugby team', follow it up with something like 'and this demonstrates that I am able to effectively manage my time between my studies and extra curricular activities, something that I very much aim to do at university.'
Reply 3
Thanks for your answer :smile: I forgot to include the thing I am most worried about which is a D in chemistry and I.C.T at IGCSE, but the entire class recieved from C to U grades and obviously I wasn't mature enough to care, the teacher was fired and it really wasn't all too great, I know you shouldn't blame the teacher but in this case it was relatively bad. Will this affect chances to get in for a Maths or just economics degree, with the A levels I have? Will those subjects have any impact? :s

I could get my school to explain the situation and the circumstances I was under and that all the students achieved badly in these two subjects, whilst achieving exceptionally in other areas. Just be straight up with and is there a point applying with those two D's oh and I also have a B in physical education (79%) dont really think that matters though. At the time everything was not going so well and I was immature, now I'm really hard working with My A* in Maths and AA in Eco and Further maths, with the possibility of getting that A in physics AS level just to make sure.

I don't know I guess I'm just really intimidated by Oxford Cambridge because of their reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending