jamesrobb6063
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've applied to study Genetics and following up on any interview offers I may receive, does anyone who is currently on a Genetics course or has recently had a Genetics interview know what sort of questions would be likely to come up? Thanks
oddsox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jamesrobb6063)
I've applied to study Genetics and following up on any interview offers I may receive, does anyone who is currently on a Genetics course or has recently had a Genetics interview know what sort of questions would be likely to come up? Thanks
Hey, I'm a third year genetics at Manchester. Interviews will be really different depending on the university, where have you applied?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
jamesrobb6063
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by oddsox)
Hey, I'm a third year genetics at Manchester. Interviews will be really different depending on the university, where have you applied?

The only university that I've applied to that will ask for an interview is Leeds.
zazzy-1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jamesrobb6063)
The only university that I've applied to that will ask for an interview is Leeds.
Well, I applied to genetics at Leeds this year too and have received an offer, but no interview. Just an applicant day visit so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
Egos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hello oddsox,
I applied for genetics at manchester as my fifth choice after dentistry. I have an interview at manchester on 30th January. Plus, I need to write another personal statement. Do you think you could give me some hints for the interview and what I should include in my personal statement?
Thanks for your help.
oddsox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Egos)
Hello oddsox,
I applied for genetics at manchester as my fifth choice after dentistry. I have an interview at manchester on 30th January. Plus, I need to write another personal statement. Do you think you could give me some hints for the interview and what I should include in my personal statement?
Thanks for your help.
The interview is really easy, as long as you don’t do anything stupid, you’ll get an offer, about 90% of people do. They’re mainly to check you haven’t lied on your application, and that you aren’t really shy or a bit weird.

To start with you’ll have a talk, to give you a bit of information about Manchester and tell you how wonderful the university is, as well as telling you what you’re doing during the day. There will be quite a few of you there.
The actual interview will take place during the next three hours depending on when you’ve been scheduled in, but you’ll be put in a group of four who have the interview at the same time, and assigned to a student ambassador who’ll stay with you for the rest of the day. You’ll have a look round the uni, some of the life sciences buildings, eat lunch, and chat to them about coming to Manchester.

The interview will depend on who is taking it, but the professor who took mine was really nice, and probably typical. The interviewer will have a print-out of your entire UCAS application, and for the majority of mine, he just talked through that, I have a strange address so he commented on that but most of the time we chatted about the stuff I wrote on my personal statement, I’d visited a Pfizer plant and so we talked about that a lot. They also might ask you about why you chose to apply to Manchester, what appealed about the course (they’ll tell you loads about it in the morning, so don’t worry about that) and why you chose that particular course. if you’re biology/biomedical sciences, they might ask you why you’ve gone so general and bet you you’ll change at the end of first year, and genetics, zoology, neuroscience etc, why you chose that aspect.

As to the personal statement, they just simply want you to do another directed at this course, not different at all from your other personal statement. Just tell them why genetics is so awesome and why you want to study it.
Egos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The interview is really easy, as long as you don’t do anything stupid, you’ll get an offer, about 90% of people do. They’re mainly to check you haven’t lied on your application, and that you aren’t really shy or a bit weird.

To start with you’ll have a talk, to give you a bit of information about Manchester and tell you how wonderful the university is, as well as telling you what you’re doing during the day. There will be quite a few of you there.
The actual interview will take place during the next three hours depending on when you’ve been scheduled in, but you’ll be put in a group of four who have the interview at the same time, and assigned to a student ambassador who’ll stay with you for the rest of the day. You’ll have a look round the uni, some of the life sciences buildings, eat lunch, and chat to them about coming to Manchester.

The interview will depend on who is taking it, but the professor who took mine was really nice, and probably typical. The interviewer will have a print-out of your entire UCAS application, and for the majority of mine, he just talked through that, I have a strange address so he commented on that but most of the time we chatted about the stuff I wrote on my personal statement, I’d visited a Pfizer plant and so we talked about that a lot. They also might ask you about why you chose to apply to Manchester, what appealed about the course (they’ll tell you loads about it in the morning, so don’t worry about that) and why you chose that particular course. if you’re biology/biomedical sciences, they might ask you why you’ve gone so general and bet you you’ll change at the end of first year, and genetics, zoology, neuroscience etc, why you chose that aspect.

As to the personal statement, they just simply want you to do another directed at this course, not different at all from your other personal statement. Just tell them why genetics is so awesome and why you want to study it.
Thank you for the information oddsox. I really appreciate it. I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions. What were you asked at your interview? Anything requiring much knowledge on genetics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bananabobble
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I was wondering if you firmed Manchester genetics offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (237)
66.76%
No (118)
33.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed