Turn on thread page Beta

Are "A Levels" becoming easier? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Having just stormed my As Government and Politcs (90/100 90/100 95/100) many of my friends have said that exams are getting easier.

I did this As in one term whilst doing a full time job and still got a near as dammit "perfect". I presume that the whole A Level is out of 600 and does this mean that I already have a top "D" or a bottom "C" before I even sit the A2???

Personally I think that the new As system means that people who are not A level material leave before the end of the course rather than sitting the exams and getting poor grades thus giving the impression of a raised overall standard since people whom would otherwise have done badly will have dropped out.

I am also aware that you can now retake as many times as you like in some cases.

So what is it to be, and if I have 275 out of 600 with the A2 pending does that mean that I already have a top D or a bottom C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Having just stormed my As Government and Politcs (90/100 90/100 95/100) many of my friends have said that exams are getting easier.

I did this As in one term whilst doing a full time job and still got a near as dammit "perfect". I presume that the whole A Level is out of 600 and does this mean that I already have a top "D" or a bottom "C" before I even sit the A2???

Personally I think that the new As system means that people who are not A level material leave before the end of the course rather than sitting the exams and getting poor grades thus giving the impression of a raised overall standard since people whom would otherwise have done badly will have dropped out.

I am also aware that you can now retake as many times as you like in some cases.

So what is it to be, and if I have 275 out of 600 with the A2 pending does that mean that I already have a top D or a bottom C?
    I think its just an E mate. Its def not a C. I'm working under the principle that a D is 50% therefore 300.

300 out of 600 is a bottom D

you'd need 100 % in your AS to get a D at the full a level overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I think its just an E mate. Its def not a C. I'm working under the principle that a D is 50% therefore 300.
    Apparantly last year in G&P you only needed 60% to get an "A" and the mark for a "C" was about 43%.

Even if these raise slightly I think that it means I could have a "D" or even at a push a "C".

ReputationRep:
    I think is like what Mark said, basicaly because of most people who are crap drop out at AS and don't bother with A2.

Also students have access to far more imformation these days on how to pass the exams.

ReputationRep:

The marking schemes become more and more stupid though.

ReputationRep:
    Alevels are piss easy. There was a time when an E (pass) was a real acomplishment. An A was almost unheard of and only really clever people got into university. Today, something like 98% of Alevel students go on to university.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly last year in G&P you only needed 60% to get an "A" and the mark for a "C" was about 43%.

Even if these raise slightly I think that it means I could have a "D" or even at a push a "C".
    It doesnt work like that. What you are referring too is the 'raw mark' from your paper. Every paper each year has different grade boundries, and the UMS points are given accordingly. I.e. one year you will need 70% in the actual paper to get an A and perhaps the next year it will be 60%, but you would still end up with the same UMS score of say 72/90 or 80/100 even if you got more marks on one of the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    It doesnt work like that. What you are referring too is the 'raw mark' from your paper. Every paper each year has different grade boundries, and the UMS points are given accordingly. I.e. one year you will need 70% in the actual paper to get an A and perhaps the next year it will be 60%, but you would still end up with the same UMS score of say 72/90 or 80/100.
    One of our tutors works for Edexcel and the mark required to get an overall A has risen slightly each year currently sitting at around 60-62%

ReputationRep:
    AS Govt and Politics is renouned for being perhaps the easiest AS there is. In the words of my head of department - "a joke".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eviloompa)
    Alevels are piss easy. There was a time when an E (pass) was a real acomplishment. An A was almost unheard of and only really clever people got into university. Today, something like 98% of Alevel students go on to university.
    Its nothing like 98% its more like 80%, if that. Most people here seem to have done their A levels at school and don't see the other side of the coin coin. In my college for example AVCE ICT was seen as the most advanced course there.

Their average point score was 100 at UCAS and quite a lot of colleges are this bad. I saw a BBC report that said only 22% of under 19 year olds would gain 3 A levels at any grade.

ReputationRep:
    One of our tutors works for Edexcel and the mark required to get an overall A has risen slightly each year currently sitting at around 60-62%
    True but you need 80% of 600 UMS points to get your A. Which makes 480 I believe, I remember because I only scraped my A level computing by 6 points

ReputationRep:
    Just checked last years overall results and statistics.

Seems that my 275 is currently an "E" with the A2 pending. The good news is that I will only need like another 100 marks from 300 to get a "C" although obviously I will be aiming for more.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen old maths papers and I think they're harder. You're also seeing topics slide down the modules, vector planes used to be on P3 now they're on P6, chain rule used to be on P1/2 now it's on P3. Projectiles used to be on M1 now they're on M2.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the subject. For my AS Psychology, I got 100/100, 96/100 and 72/100 which is an A but I worked twice as hard with Chemistry and only got a C (3 marks off a B!). So whether A-Levels are getting easier or not depends on the individual.

ReputationRep:
    I think it more to do with a lot of bad results too, you're 90/100 maybe like 70% on the paper but because there is alot of bad results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eviloompa)
    i thought that was due to more universities and more places, more course so more people go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Your friends are right.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are maybe not getting easier, but are getting watered down.

Example: next year OCR the P1 and P2 exams, are going to be split into 3 Core modules-C1, C2, C3. and I had a lookat the syllabus. Theres nothing really added to it, and some of the harder bits are being ripped out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    i thought that was due to more universities and more places, more course so more people go to uni.
    Or more people want to go to university so they have to make more courses

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.