Turn on thread page Beta

Are "A Levels" becoming easier? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's easy to become Alevel

ReputationRep:
    I was having a chat with my physical geography teacher the other day about A-levels being easier. She seems to think in terms of CW they are much harder. The work we are doing now, according to my teacher, would have been degree standard about 5-10years ago, and the current GCSE CW could easily be entered for the old A-Level and gain high marks. She was saying how the standard expected is much higher and if CW is done well, it should take months, as the weighting of marks is higher than a module exam!
    Teaching seems to stick very closely to the syllabus in my school, I wonder if this has not always been the case & might explain the continual rise in pass rates? Past papers are also much more widely available so technique can be practised to death!
    In biology we have HW booklets made up of anchient past papers (some from before I was born!) that we work our way through for each module. Some questions are incredibly easy to what's now expected while others are a damn sight harder!
    Anyone averageing below a C (in exams, termly assessements and HWs)at the begining of January was asked to reconsider their choices, I think that's very unfair & goes a long way to explain our rising pass rates.

(I don't to make it an issue but this is my experience from a state school, I wouldn't know if its the same anywhere else.)

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels are not getting easier. People are getting smarter.

ReputationRep:
    They're not getting easier, but we're all getting taught to pass the exam, at the expense of everything else. Fine if you're in it for a job, shocking for those of us who're there to learn.

When was the last time you had a good, old fashioned, intellectual discussion with your teacher about something relevant but not on the syllabus ?

Never, you say ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Exams are maybe not getting easier, but are getting watered down.

Example: next year OCR the P1 and P2 exams, are going to be split into 3 Core modules-C1, C2, C3. and I had a lookat the syllabus. Theres nothing really added to it, and some of the harder bits are being ripped out.
    I'm doing Maths a bit early, so am studying the material for this system, to do S1 in summer and C1 and 2 next January. It's not easy, but the structure makes the topics much easier to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I've seen old maths papers and I think they're harder. You're also seeing topics slide down the modules, vector planes used to be on P3 now they're on P6, chain rule used to be on P1/2 now it's on P3. Projectiles used to be on M1 now they're on M2.
    What exam board is that? I did the chain rule in P2 and projectiles in M1. Or is this how it will be next year?

I think exams are getting easier in terms of content but harder in that you need to apply rules more. It's a shame we can't use a time machine to get people from the 60s to try and take modern A-levels while modern kids try 60s A-levels. That'd sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Having just stormed my As Government and Politcs (90/100 90/100 95/100) many of my friends have said that exams are getting easier.

I did this As in one term whilst doing a full time job and still got a near as dammit "perfect". I presume that the whole A Level is out of 600 and does this mean that I already have a top "D" or a bottom "C" before I even sit the A2???

Personally I think that the new As system means that people who are not A level material leave before the end of the course rather than sitting the exams and getting poor grades thus giving the impression of a raised overall standard since people whom would otherwise have done badly will have dropped out.

I am also aware that you can now retake as many times as you like in some cases.

So what is it to be, and if I have 275 out of 600 with the A2 pending does that mean that I already have a top D or a bottom C?

No, they are tchnically gettin gharder, in the course content. But the style of the exams has become a lot easier. Ie the exams after every unit.

If you think of it, in previous years, they had to do exams after the WHOLE two years...thus the actual content was proven to be easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    They're not getting easier, but we're all getting taught to pass the exam, at the expense of everything else. Fine if you're in it for a job, shocking for those of us who're there to learn.

When was the last time you had a good, old fashioned, intellectual discussion with your teacher about something relevant but not on the syllabus ?

Never, you say ?
    i would agree.
    however, for english, i have two teachers. let's call them mrs x and mrs y (im gonna get confused!!)
    mrs x is really friendly and kind. one lesson (a double-2hrs) we spoke about the amount people drank, religion and relationships with people from different relationships and other bits for 3/4 of an hour.
    mrs y is always tense/sensitive and strange. she doesn't let us talk about anything thats unrelated and we work from the minute she walks in to the minute she walks out.
    maybe it's coz i dislike mrs y, but i learn so much more in mrs x's lessons!!

ReputationRep:
    i can't objectively comment on whether they are getting easier or not so i wont bother. perhaps the reason that more people are getting the higher grades these days is that it's more important than ever to have qualifications as the job market is getting increasingly competitive. in the past people could do O-levels, go straight out to work, get a decent job and work up the career ladder. this doesn't happen nowadays. job's people go into after GCSE's are becoming more and more dead end.

(Original post by r316)
    I'm doing Maths a bit early, so am studying the material for this system, to do S1 in summer and C1 and 2 next January. It's not easy, but the structure makes the topics much easier to deal with.
    Ditto, except I'm doing M1 in the summer instead of S1.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.