The Student Room Group

Software and Electronic Systems Engineering - ?

Does anybody know if this would be a good course job prospects wise?

I'm not picking a university course directly based on how well I think it could help me do after, but it's somewhat of a factor.

I definitely want to go to QUB, but I don't really like the look of the Computer Science or Software Engineering courses there (the module list doesn't have maths), and Software and Electronic Systems Engineering just looks much more interesting.

How would employers look upon this degree, seeing as I'm pretty sure QUB is the only university that offers it (I could be wrong)?

Also, writing a personal statement based on that would be difficult seeing as the other universities I apply to will be a different course.

One of the reasons I'm considering choosing this is because I don't have any qualifications in Physics, and it doesn't require Physics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I've applied to do Computer and Electronic Systems at Strathclyde, which is basically the same course as yours but with a different title. It's basically a joint honours degree in EEE and Comp Sci.

On the Course guide it says that it's the degree that has the best job prospects in the engineering and computer departments as it allows you to do the same jobs any EEE or Comp sci graduate can do as well as jobs that require both skill sets.

Here's a link to the unistats spiel on the Beng for your subject http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10005343-SEE-BENG/ReturnTo/Search The job prospects look pretty good although the salary looks a bit low for an engineering degree? :holmes:

What other courses are you applying to?
Reply 2
Hi

Im currently a second year student in SESE. I spent first year as a EEE student. SESE obviously shares modules with CS and EEE and has a few of its own chucked in.

Youll be given two weeks at the start of term to change your course with no issues, beyond that the labs will have started.
I was given the choice to take on extra SESE modules come January or wait until the end of first year to make the switch (I only noticed SESE course during adjustment and was un-willing to take the plunge like you).

Youre definitely right not to choose a course based on future prospects (sounds stupid), put your own interests first. Ive been programming for a while and did a bit of electronics at school. I wanted to do CS but thought I might as well learn something new and so chose EEE, besides there are alot more CS students around than EEE. So I figured EEE would have better job prospects (Which it does).

EEE is focused on the component level of electronics, ie Youll be looking at transistors, logic gates, fibre optics, cables etc. Youll learnt the characteristics of the component, how and why they work. But not so much on how to use them. There is also some circuit analysis thrown in, but you wont be designing your own circuits or systems (At least in first year).

The EEE practicals take the form of going through a check-list and reading values before writing a report on the values your recorded (Dreadful). They were often undertook months before learning any bakground material i.e. My first lab was on FM which was the last subject to be taught.

This is were SESE comes in. This year we were given the task of designing a system, any system, which used all the sensors of a LEGO NXT and included some networking and were left to it.

The year below us were given the objective of using the NXTs to create an automonous racing car, which had to navigate around a predefined course. The previous year (When I was in EEE), the SESE students were required to create a clock (Or something similar) using an ARM device in assembly.

Now to the CS modules. The focus required in EEE lectures is quite high, There generally alot of formulae and numbers being thrown around with little time to sink in before moving on. The CS lectures require as much focus as a documentary, you can just listen and absorb without missing anything. The problem with CS is the standards are generally much lower than that of EEE.

For example EEE reports average around 10-25 pages of quality work. I was asked to write a Software Engineering report (CS) which i was told would be around 80 pages (It takes me weeks to write a 10 page report). It wasnt a report it was a document with screen dumps and some random thoughts chucked in, it scored high and only took a day.

One of the modules I took was Software Engineering, the only thing of any worth in it was a quick overview of UML diagrams [Which doesnt take long to check it out yourself], they rest was filled with nonsense managerial stuff [Made up stuff to keep managers happy]. They are attempting to make CS an engineering subject, which it is not, CS is an artform.

SESE/EEE Maths only lasts for the first two years and then it drops out. The seconds year is pretty much everything in the first year but instead of working in 2D its mostly 3D. First year maths includes Complex Numbers, Matrices, Co-ordinate systems, Integration, Partial Differation, Sequences and Series. Theres nothing mind blowing in it.

SESE is probably the most flexible of each subject. When you get tired of integrating (Pretty much the entire EEE course), choose a CS module next and relax. It still teaches you good engineering practices, which can be applied to many jobs (Hence why EEE is more attractive to employers). CS teaches you a topic, EEE teaches you skills.

The staff at Queens are all very pleasent and are always offering help. The teaching varies, there some brillant teachers and some quite poor ones. The poor ones are generally teaching for the first time and so havnt mastered it yet. They also havnt had years to build up their notes, which is the biggest issue. However as I said, they go out of their way to help. If its the first time your lecturer is teaching, Id advise you to pick up the books they recommend, This isnt needed with lecturers who have been teaching as they supply good notes. Dont buy the books, the library is pretty damn good.

When you have a report go to the library to do the work (Something Ive only started to realise). You may wish to get a room booked and work with a few others.

With regards to employers not knowing about SESE. Youll list your CS and EEE modules on your CV, this is what employers look for. The Uni is also good with working with employers, Im sure theyre now well aware of SESE. Ive always got through to interview stages. Many employers dont care about your course, Ive had several interviews with Microsoft with only EEE on my CV. They look for skills and outside projects. This is why I say dont pick a course on what you think employers want.

The Uni is quite good at reacting to criticism. However because SESE is soo new, they work closer with you, theres also generally fewer people on the course and its easier to suit a group of 10 people than 100 people, ie TimeTable wise.

While the Uni requires specific subjects for certain courses, nothing is taking for granted, they end up teaching everything you need to know. So I wouldnt worry about not having done physics. However EEE does require a fair amount of physics (All taught), but you may not enjoy it.

In conclusion SESE is flexible, you have more say in it, employers are probably more interested in it. You carry out meaningfull practical work. I would choose EEE if you wish to learn about spcific components, but if your more interested in a whole system choose SESE. I wouldnt pick CS subject by itself. You may wish to look at CS with Mathematics.

Sorry for the poor grammar and the above rant, hopefully its of some use to you. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest