This discussion is closed.
Janet
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
I know I could probably get this from the DfES (or most recent incarnation) website, but as I've
wandered out of lurkdom anyway...

CharmingDaughter is about to do her GCSE options, and she has to take a technology subject. Is this
required by the state, or is it from the school? (Having to do this means she can't take something
else she wants to study, just as it did for YoungSon two years ago).

(I also note that RS is not required among her options, which I find interesting, considering what I
understood to be the requirement for that subject...? That one I'll go find out about because I
should know about it....).

Thanks,
--
janet
Eric Stroud
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
1) yes it is required by 'the state'

2) maybe RS is not an 'option' because is it is 'compulsory'

"janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I know I could probably get this from the DfES (or most recent incarnation) website, but as I've[/q1]
[q1]> wandered out of lurkdom anyway...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> CharmingDaughter is about to do her GCSE options, and she has to take a technology subject. Is[/q1]
[q1]> this required by the state, or is it from the school? (Having to do this means she can't take[/q1]
[q1]> something else she wants to study, just as it did for YoungSon two years ago).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> (I also note that RS is not required among her options, which I find interesting, considering what[/q1]
[q1]> I understood to be the requirement for that subject...? That one I'll go find out about because I[/q1]
[q1]> should know about it....).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks,[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> janet[/q1]
Janet
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In message <[email protected] om>, eric stroud <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>1) yes it is required by 'the state'[/q1]

Well, that means I can't try to change it at school level... :}
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>2) maybe RS is not an 'option' because is it is 'compulsory'[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I don't think so, because other things she has to do - English, etc. - are listed, whereas RS only
comes under the headings of long or short courses one can do.

(They may be picking up the compulsory bits in other ways, but I'd be interested in that, as well.
It's not that I think "every child should have RS!!!", in fact, I have some definite questions about
the whole idea and process - I'm just interested that it does not seem to *have* to form part of her
timetable....).

Thanks, though!

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>"janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> I know I could probably get this from the DfES (or most recent incarnation) website, but as I've[/q2]
[q2]>> wandered out of lurkdom anyway...[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> CharmingDaughter is about to do her GCSE options, and she has to take a technology subject. Is[/q2]
[q2]>> this required by the state, or is it from the school? (Having to do this means she can't take[/q2]
[q2]>> something else she wants to study, just as it did for YoungSon two years ago).[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> (I also note that RS is not required among her options, which I find interesting, considering[/q2]
[q2]>> what I understood to be the requirement for that subject...? That one I'll go find out about[/q2]
[q2]>> because I should know about it....).[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Thanks,[/q2]
[q2]>> --[/q2]
[q2]>> janet[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

--
janet
Janet
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In message <%[email protected] leinet.net>, Chris Ferguson
<[email protected]> writes
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>You seem determined that your daughter should not 'do' RS.[/q1]

Wry grin - hardly.

I am asking why it does not appear as compulsory, as that is what I understood it to be!

(Yes, I have questions about RS - not surprising, in view of my area of research, etc.).

[q1]>Unfortunately it is a legal requirement that all children should now be taught RS until the[/q1]
[q1]>age of 16.[/q1]

I know.

So why does it not appear on the list of things that she has to take? Obviously, I'll take this up
with the school, but as it was the weekend, I wanted to see about it before I could talk to the
school, (there are teacher's email addresses in various places - such as the Farmington Institute
website - but I don't think it's fair to use those for general school queries).

I also said I'd check this out myself, but until my own teaching prep for this week is done, I'm not
going to have a chance.

[q1]> Like English, Maths and Science it cannot be an opt out.[/q1]

I know - so as my original question said, why doesn't it appear as compulsory?

[q1]>IMO thye should also have to do Geography, History and some form of current affairs.[/q1]

Again, I agree - if by geography you mean human geography. I'd also include logic/geometry, but I'm
like that.

YoungSon is having the opportunity to do something very like an intro to philosophy as a non
examined course at AS level, for which I am very grateful.

[q1]>Our young people are appallingly ignorant compared to other Europeans when it comes to general[/q1]
[q1]>knowledge.[/q1]

I'll defer to others on that - I've only ever lived in one other European country, and didn't find
that much difference. However, I'm sure there are differences between Italy (where I lived) and say,
Germany or Norway....

[q1]>Chris[/q1]

--
janet
Janet
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In message <%[email protected]>, Dajeil
[q1]>The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law, until they finish year 11.[/q1]
[q1]>They do not, however, have to take it as a GCSE option. They can just study non-examined RS, but[/q1]
[q1]>most schools feel that they ought to get something out of it and so have everyone following an[/q1]
[q1]>exam course.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Just to age 11? That explains it!

[q1]>hope this helps [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Daj (Head of RS) )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O([/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

--
janet
Janet
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In message <[email protected]>, Dajeil
[q1]>no Janet, until YEAR 11, not age 11 - i.e. until they are 16 [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

It would help if I would read properly, wouldn't it? :}

Thanks. Obviously, this is something I'll have to sort out with the school....
--
janet
Chris Ferguson
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
[q1]> <[email protected]> writes[/q1]
[q2]> >1) yes it is required by 'the state'[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Well, that means I can't try to change it at school level... :}[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >2) maybe RS is not an 'option' because is it is 'compulsory'[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I don't think so, because other things she has to do - English, etc. - are listed, whereas RS only[/q1]
[q1]> comes under the headings of long or short courses one can do.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> (They may be picking up the compulsory bits in other ways, but I'd be interested in that, as well.[/q1]
[q1]> It's not that I think "every child should have RS!!!", in fact, I have some definite questions[/q1]
[q1]> about the whole idea and process - I'm just interested that it does not seem to *have* to form[/q1]
[q1]> part of her timetable....).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks, though![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >"janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]

You seem determined that your daughter should not 'do' RS. Unfortunately it is a legal requirement
that all children should now be taught RS until the age of 16. Like English, Maths and Science it
cannot be an opt out. IMO thye should also have to do Geography, History and some form of current
affairs. Our young people are appallingly ignorant compared to other Europeans when it comes to
general knowledge. Chris
Sarah Gibson
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Surely one can opt out of RS? The JW child in my class of 'opts out' of RS lessons, so surely that
is an option for any other child. Chris Ferguson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
[q2]> > <[email protected]> writes[/q2]
[q3]> > >1) yes it is required by 'the state'[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Well, that means I can't try to change it at school level... :}[/q2]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >2) maybe RS is not an 'option' because is it is 'compulsory'[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > I don't think so, because other things she has to do - English, etc. - are listed, whereas RS[/q2]
[q2]> > only comes under the headings of long or short courses one can do.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > (They may be picking up the compulsory bits in other ways, but I'd be interested in that, as[/q2]
[q2]> > well. It's not that I think "every child should have RS!!!", in fact, I have some definite[/q2]
[q2]> > questions about the whole idea and process - I'm just interested that it does not seem to *have*[/q2]
[q2]> > to form part of her timetable....).[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Thanks, though![/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >"janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You seem determined that your daughter should not 'do' RS. Unfortunately[/q1]
it
[q1]> is a legal requirement that all children should now be taught RS until the age of 16. Like[/q1]
[q1]> English, Maths and Science it cannot be an opt out. IMO thye should also have to do Geography,[/q1]
[q1]> History and some form of[/q1]
current
[q1]> affairs. Our young people are appallingly ignorant compared to other Europeans when it comes to[/q1]
[q1]> general knowledge. Chris[/q1]
Dajeil
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law, until they finish year 11.
They do not, however, have to take it as a GCSE option. They can just study non-examined RS, but
most schools feel that they ought to get something out of it and so have everyone following an
exam course.

hope this helps

Daj (Head of RS) )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O(
Sarah Gibson
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
How do parents stand if they decide to withdraw their children from some lessons? Are they therefore
breaking the law?

Sarah Dajeil <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
[q1]> The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law,[/q1]
until
[q1]> they finish year 11. They do not, however, have to take it as a GCSE option. They can just study[/q1]
[q1]> non-examined RS, but most schools feel that they ought to get something out of it and so have[/q1]
[q1]> everyone following an[/q1]
exam
[q1]> course.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> hope this helps [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Daj (Head of RS) )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O([/q1]
Clark
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Dajeil wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law, until they finish year 11.[/q1]

Surely parents can specify that their child opt out? That always _was_ the case when I taught in
England. Has that been changed?

Bob
Diane
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
"Dajeil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%gx28.89695> Daj (Head of RS)
[q1]> )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O([/q1]

hmmm a Pagan head of RS, now that is interesting (And as it should be IMO) so are you able to
get Paganism on the syllabus without parents having torchlight processions to the school to
burn you out?

diane (Ex RE teacher, who prefers the term RE to RS<s>)
Dajeil
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Parents are legally entitled to withdraw their children from RS, collective worship (assemblies) and
sex education. In practice very few do - and at my new school, even the JW students attend RS. The
parents decided after consultation, that it would be beneficial for their children to attend.

--
)O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O( "Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Dajeil wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law,[/q2]
until
[q2]> > they finish year 11.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Surely parents can specify that their child opt out? That always _was_ the case when I taught in[/q1]
[q1]> England. Has that been changed?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bob[/q1]
Dajeil
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
no Janet, until YEAR 11, not age 11 - i.e. until they are 16

--
)O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O( "janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> In message <%[email protected]>, Dajeil[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected]> writes[/q1]
[q2]> >The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law,[/q2]
until
[q2]> >they finish year 11. They do not, however, have to take it as a GCSE option. They can just study[/q2]
[q2]> >non-examined RS, but most schools feel that they ought to get something out of it and so have[/q2]
[q2]> >everyone following an[/q2]
exam
[q2]> >course.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Just to age 11? That explains it! [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >hope this helps [/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Daj (Head of RS) )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O([/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> janet[/q1]
Dajeil
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
nope, doesn't get mentioned at school

--
)O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O( "diane" <[email protected] t.com> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Dajeil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%gx28.89695>[/q1]
Daj
[q1]> (Head of RS)[/q1]
[q2]> > )O( By the Lady, Blessed Be )O([/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> hmmm a Pagan head of RS, now that is interesting (And as it should be IMO) so are you able to[/q1]
[q1]> get Paganism on the syllabus without parents having torchlight processions to the school to burn[/q1]
[q1]> you out?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> diane (Ex RE teacher, who prefers the term RE to RS<s>)[/q1]
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article <[email protected] n.co.uk>, janet <[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>>The legal position with RS is that every child must study it, by law, until they finish year 11.[/q2]
[q2]>>They do not, however, have to take it as a GCSE option. They can just study non-examined RS, but[/q2]
[q2]>>most schools feel that they ought to get something out of it and so have everyone following an[/q2]
[q2]>>exam course.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Just to age 11? That explains it! [/q1]

Year 11 is not age 11. Year 11 is 11th grade (to use the US terms)

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Sheila :-D
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
On 20 Jan 2002 15:09:01 GMT, [email protected] (SLieber24) put down the pretzel and picked up
the mouse:

[q1]>Year 11 is not age 11. Year 11 is 11th grade (to use the US terms)[/q1]

Is it, I thought your grades and our Years were one out.

--
Sheila D (Remove e to email.) http://www.schoolbanners.f2s.com http://clik.to/schoolassemblies
http://clik.to/ChurchSchoolsWebring http://clik.to/sitesforchildren
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads