IBMS accredited Msc in biomedical science - routes into jobs. Watch

This discussion is closed.
JulietJ
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm graduating in 2013 with a BSc Biological Sciences (neuroscience) which isn't IBMS accredited.

I've looked at all the websites on how to become and NHS biomedical scientist but none of them give a clear definitive route unless you do an IBMS accredited degree.

I was hoping you guys could answer a few qs for me:

1. with my degree as it stands, could I apply for the NHS scientist training programme?

2. If not, how do I go about applying for, and finding out what, "top up modules" I need to take?

3. If I do an IBMS accredited masters programme would this mean I can apply straight for a biomedical scientist role in the NHS, or would I then also need to apply for the NHS scientist training programme?

4. What extra training is required to get to consultant level?

Juliet.
Aurora5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Juliet,
I am in a similar situation right now. With a (non-accredited) bsc in biotechnology, genetics & biochemistry, I want to do msc in biomedical science now. Do tell me how u proceeded ..
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your best bet is to contact the IBMS and ask.
geetee20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So biomedical scientists and clinical scientists are different. You do not need an accredited biomedical science degree to become a clinical scientist. You simply apply to the scientist training programme. You do need one to become a biomedical scientist. To have your degree accredited by the IBMS, you need to send off details of your degree, they will then tell you which top up modules are required for accreditation. Hope this helps!
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by geetee20)
So biomedical scientists and clinical scientists are different. You do not need an accredited biomedical science degree to become a clinical scientist. You simply apply to the scientist training programme. You do need one to become a biomedical scientist. To have your degree accredited by the IBMS, you need to send off details of your degree, they will then tell you which top up modules are required for accreditation. Hope this helps!
It's poor practice to respond to ancient posts. It's very unlikely the OP is still seeking advice.
geetee20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It may help someone else seeking advice. I certainly don’t see it doing any harm.
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
It's poor practice to respond to ancient posts. It's very unlikely the OP is still seeking advice.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Please see and adhere to the Community Rules.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/community-rules
(Original post by geetee20)
It may help someone else seeking advice. I certainly don’t see it doing any harm.
X
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate