Mr M's GCSE Maths 1MA0 Linear Higher Tier Paper 2 Answers November 2012

Watch this thread
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Mr M's Edexcel 1MA0 GCSE Maths Linear Higher Tier Paper 2 Answers November 2012

1. Using a calculator

1.5176868 (2 marks)

2. Transformations

a) Correct reflection (2 marks)

b) Translation by \begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ -4 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

3. Boxes

£494.34 (5 marks)

4. Pie Chart

Draw pie chart (75 degrees, 50 degrees, 100 degrees, 135 degrees) (3 marks)

5. Motorway

5 minutes (3 marks)

6. Parallelogram

19 degrees (reasons must be provided) (4 marks)

7. Gold wire

23.3625 grams (3 marks)

8. Inequalities

a) -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 (2 marks)

b) -4 < x \leq 3 (2 marks)

c) y>\frac{7}{3} (2 marks)

9. Stem and leaf diagram

a) 32 (1 mark)

b) 24 (2 marks)

10. Petrol

Cheaper in USA (56.5p per litre) (4 marks)

11. Trial and improvement

a) Explain cubic equation (2 marks)

b) 5.4 (4 marks)

12. Frequency table

a) Draw frequency polygon (2 marks)

b) 30 < t \leq 40 (1 mark)

c) 0.16 (2 marks)

13. Triangular prism

2970 grams (3 marks)

14. Factorising

a) x(x+7) (1 mark)

b) (y-8)(y-2) (2 marks)

c) (2t+1)(t+2)

The expression can never have a value that is prime as it has two different factors that are greater than 1 (3 marks)

15. Trapezium

12.0 cm (5 marks)

16. Percentage decrease

8.49% (3 marks)

17. Trigonometry

27.7 (3 marks)

18. Graph from table of values

a) Missing values: 12, 2, 1.2 (2 marks)

b) Draw graph (2 marks)

19. Scale

1 : 5 \times 10^{10} (3 marks)

20. Algebraic fractions

\frac{5x+9}{6} (3 marks)

21. Tiles

a) \frac{1}{21} (2 marks)

b) \frac{8}{21} (3 marks)

22. Quadratic equations

a) 0.676 and -5.18 (3 marks)

b) 1.48 and -0.193 (2 marks)

23. Pyramid

a) 236 (4 marks)

b) 90 degrees (2 marks)

24. Histogram

Draw histogram (3 marks)

25. Area of a scalene triangle

Show x=\sqrt{2A} (3 marks)
GrammarSchoolKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for putting these up! It's a great help to us all who want a rough idea of how we've done!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
GrammarSchoolKid
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Also, are you sure the translation wasn't in vector, (-2, -4) as I believe the top shape was transferred onto the bottom?

Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by GrammarSchoolKid)
Also, are you sure the translation wasn't in vector, (-2, -4) as I believe the top shape was transferred onto the bottom?
Oops! Will correct.
KatiexZoe
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
How many marks for the histogram question if you worked out the frequency density for every value, labelled the axis, but didn't actually draw the graph out of 3 would you get?

Davothebigafro
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
In question 14 c) is it possible to say that the expression is not prime because when we factorise it, niether factor is identical to itself?
Newbie123
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I thought the titles said "GCSE Maths lmao".

Would've made sense.
Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by KatiexZoe)
How many marks for the histogram question if you worked out the frequency density for every value, labelled the axis, but didn't actually draw the graph out of 3 would you get?
2 marks
zed963
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
For 14c are you meant to be talking about the values of t and then substituting a prime value in etc.
GrammarSchoolKid
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
No problem. Okay, it looks like I did a decent job of the paper but found it SO hard! What was the question of Q12 part c) please?

And also, if I put for proof on the factorising one (part c) that because both brackets always multiplied to make even numbers so can't be prime, would I get the mark?

zed963
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
What was 12c as a fraction?
Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by Davothebigafro)
In question 14 c) is it possible to say that the expression is not prime because when we factorise it, niether factor is identical to itself?
Yes
Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by zed963)
For 14c are you meant to be talking about the values of t and then substituting a prime value in etc.
No. You are talking about the value of the quadratic expression and you shouldn't substitute anything in.
Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by zed963)
What was 12c as a fraction?
Are you telling me you can't convert 0.16 into a fraction?

\frac{16}{100}=?
Blake-inator
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I thought the length of the trapezium was 8. root 100 - root 36 = root 64?
Mr M
Rep:
No problem. Okay, it looks like I did a decent job of the paper but found it SO hard! What was the question of Q12 part c) please?

And also, if I put for proof on the factorising one (part c) that because both brackets always multiplied to make even numbers so can't be prime, would I get the mark?
12c) Work out the probability that this office worker took more than 40 mins to get to the office.

There were 50 office workers and 8 took more than 40 mins.

That answer for 14c) is wrong . The expression is NOT always even. If you substitute 1 into it you get 9 for example.
Blake-inator
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
length of the side we needed
Mr M
Rep:
(Original post by Blake-inator)
I thought the length of the trapezium was 8. root 100 - root 36 = root 64?
No idea what you did there. The answer is \sqrt{145}.
GrammarSchoolKid
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
12c) Work out the probability that this office worker took more than 40 mins to get to the office.

There were 50 office workers and 8 took more than 40 mins.

That answer for 14c) is wrong . The expression is NOT always even. If you substitute 1 into it you get 9 for example.
Thanks! Okay... I don't remember the office workers question /: - EDIT: Yes I do now! Okay, thanks for the help!

Mr M
Rep:
Thanks! Okay... I don't remember the office workers question /: Are you sure that's the one?!
Yes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads