Absolute cheapest meals!

Watch
PinkyPurply
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm on a mission to reduce my spending from £60 a week to £50 (without rent)

First thing I want to do is stop spending so much on food. I generally don't spend over a tenner on my weekly shop but I'm constantly making trips to the shop opposite for "little things" like a bottle of pepsi.

I'm going to start planning meals but I'm stuck on pasta (Two huge bags for £1 and jars of morrisons saver pasta sauce for 40p each).

What are your favourite dirt cheap meals
Luxray
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lidl man...that place is a life saver.
ajayhp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
take a pack lunch to uni
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
White bread and margarine? Eggs are extremely versatile so make an omlette !

EDIT: looks like the person that negged me can't cook an omlette to save his life
Harry Callahan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chilli.

Corned beef hash (or corned beef fritters done in the frying pan :coma:)
Cephalus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm sure that in some shops you can have 2 hot wings and chips for £1. You if you have this once a day, you will spend £7 a week on food.

Win Win
Luxray
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
where do you get your noodles from? because I only seem to find cooked noodles which cost £1. I'm sure somewhere must sell uncooked noodles for cheap
PinkyPurply
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was looking for meals that cost around 50p :rolleyes:
GemmyMonster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Potatoes are also cheap - if you can buy a good amount in one go anyway, especially unwashed from a farm shop or greengrocers.

Basic vegetables like carrots - you can buy a big bag of carrots in tesco for about 70p. Some veg work out best to get frozen though (peas for example). Turnip, parsnip, onion - all standard basic veg tend to be cheap. A good cheap meal is roasted veggies - roast your potatoes in with some onion, carrot, parsnip, there's loads of roastable veggies but my brain isn't working.

Stews - you can use cheap cuts of meat or none at all. Or for instance if you cooked a chicken for a meal (roast, or for sandwiches, whatever), boil up the carcass to give a nice stock, strain it, add any leftover chicken in, then chuck your veg in. That should make enough for a few meals. Will have good flavour despite small amounts of actual chicken.
Or if you prefer spicier can use leftover chicken for stews etc. Obviously, those meals can be done veggie instead.
Toasties - cheap ham, cheese etc and a bit of bread. Basic, but nice and warm. Plus works to use slightly stale bread.
Soup - either homemade or even bought, can be bulked up by having bread with it.
Use cheap mince and make a spaghetti bolognese as a beef meal.
And don't forget the absolute basics like *-on-toast. Beans, cheese, spaghetti hoops, egg, whatever-tinned-stuff-you-can-find...

You can also try going supermarkets in the evening and get things that are reduced, you can either cook or (if you have room) freeze bits.

Also start trying to buy more of those little bits from supermarkets - a bottle of pepsi is often over £2 in a local shop but were recently about 89p in Tesco on offer, even on 2 for £3 they're likely cheaper than locally. *pepsi max addict*
Arekkusu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have the same problem with the corner shop dude ... the solution is to spend as much time doing something worthwhile/interesting/with friends as you can

If you can find one of those god-sized crisp multipacks reduced they're good (I think my best rate of return was 2x26 for £5 or 9p a packet!) Most of the time it's just about having something to shovel into your mouth so go for bland high-quantity low-quality snacks.
3 Phase Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
Lidl man...that place is a life saver.
Or Aldi.
Coldplaydoh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Always WRITE OUT A LIST of what you want before you go and get it and stick to it! I do this constantly.

Also, you can get a loaf of bread for 50p or less, that'll feed you for a week, invest! Fruit/veg from markets if you can, and try to buy things in bulk, it's often cheaper!!
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Coloured peppers are 3 for 69p in Aldi, and you only need 1 for a single person. Make stir frys?
Dalimyr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PinkyPurply)

First thing I want to do is stop spending so much on food. I generally don't spend over a tenner on my weekly shop but I'm constantly making trips to the shop opposite for "little things" like a bottle of pepsi.

I'm going to start planning meals but I'm stuck on pasta (Two huge bags for £1 and jars of morrisons saver pasta sauce for 40p each).

I think you'd probably be better cutting your spending on other things besides food. But it's the bit in bold that caught my eye here. When you add in all of these "little things", how much are you spending in total in a week on food? If you're spending £10 on a planned weekly shop then going down every day and spending £2-3 on daily 'impulse' buys, that's the killer. If you're still not topping £20 on food even with the random extras, I'd say look elsewhere for the cost-cutting, though :yes:
lauraaaa.xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
where do you get your noodles from? because I only seem to find cooked noodles which cost £1. I'm sure somewhere must sell uncooked noodles for cheap
do you have a b& m bargains near you? thats where i get all my noodles from haha. the ready to wok ones (3 separate portions in one packet) are 20p in b&m whereas in tesco or asda they are like 2quid
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I bought 16 toffee apples for 3p each from tesco this week... most of my food is from their reduced shelves
harreeeee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Make your own pizzas. Flour, yeast, sugar to make dough is sooo cheap. Make a sauce from a tin of chopped tomatoes and other cheap stuff and your sorted
Scumbaggio
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make your own pasta sauce and freeze it in portion sized batches.

Buy your pasta in bulk when you can.

Never buy takeaways

Why on earth are you buying pepsi?
dotty_but_good
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I have taken to buying tins of pudding, like rice pudding for 17p which is two servings, then eating less for first course and filling up with cheap pudding, equally porridge for breakfast means you want less for lunch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads