Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea how installing the driver for a webcam would totally disable my CD-RW drive?
    Is there anything in particular that anyone can think of?
    (Apart from running XP!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Does anyone have any idea how installing the driver for a webcam would totally disable my CD-RW drive?
    Is there anything in particular that anyone can think of?
    (Apart from running XP!).
    I really cant see how that would affect ur cd-rw...has to be the software!!!

ReputationRep:
    is your cd drive one of those external usb jobbies? a usb camera might take away too much power, tho your cd drive probably isn't a usb one in which case i dont know! driver problems i guess, some hardware just isn't compatible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    is your cd drive one of those external usb jobbies? a usb camera might take away too much power, tho your cd drive probably isn't a usb one in which case i dont know! driver problems i guess, some hardware just isn't compatible!
    Nope, its an internal one.
    Its the driver thats the problem. Somehow the driver for the camera corrupted the driver for the CD-RW (although i never thought i installed anything other than a standard driver on there), and after uninstalling and reinstalling it, it still doesn't work (and neither does the camera BTW).

ReputationRep:
    Its the driver thats the problem. Somehow the driver for the camera corrupted the driver for the CD-RW (although i never thought i installed anything other than a standard driver on there), and after uninstalling and reinstalling it, it still doesn't work (and neither does the camera BTW).

i have a computer problem- is there an expert who can answer my query???

ok- my laptop runs on wndows xp home... i have played theme hospital on it b4 but i have recently installed it again (i unistalled it b4) and it plays but only in a little square screen in the middle of the screen- how can i stop it doing this??? also, how do i install direct x 8 or 9 without an internet connection???

help!!

ReputationRep:
    Just change the software....i.e. get another cam with a diff type of driver....all i canthink of, hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i have a computer problem- is there an expert who can answer my query???

ok- my laptop runs on wndows xp home... i have played theme hospital on it b4 but i have recently installed it again (i unistalled it b4) and it plays but only in a little square screen in the middle of the screen- how can i stop it doing this??? also, how do i install direct x 8 or 9 without an internet connection???

help!!
    Well i'm not an expert, but i'll do my best.

I've got theme hospital too, and haven't had that problem. Maybe its set to play in window rather than full screen mode?
    Or maybe the resolution of the screen is too high, i'm not sure. But its likely to be one of the two.

The second one... the only other way i can think of of getting it is for you to get it on CD or something. Most PC mags have the latest Direct X on them (check the list of utilities if your not sure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    Just change the software....i.e. get another cam with a diff type of driver....all i canthink of, hope it helps!
    Well i've already got one cam installed fine.
    But i bought the problem one for a quid off my cousin, so i couldn't resist really.
    And it worked on his fine (and i saw it working).
    But i thought as much, about different drivers, although i'm going to get the latest one for my CD-RW first, and see if that works.

ReputationRep:
    Well i've already got one cam installed fine.
    But i bought the problem one for a quid off my cousin, so i couldn't resist really.
    And it worked on his fine (and i saw it working).
    But i thought as much, about different drivers, although i'm going to get the latest one for my CD-RW first, and see if that works.
    It should work after that but am still confuzed why ur cam driver affects ur CD-RW....have you fully kitted ur pc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    It should work after that but am still confuzed why ur cam driver affects ur CD-RW....have you fully kitted ur pc?
    I know. It is wierd.
    My PC's fine. I recently upgraded to XP, but i've had no other problems.
    I haven't got service pack 1 yet, which could be another cause, and i havent got my sound or graphics working, as their drivers require service pack 1. Maybe its the same with the cam?
    Although i don't see how that would affect the CD RW!?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.