Turn on thread page Beta

What should we expect from our first week? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok. This is a thread for anyone already at Uni who wants to tell us young'uns who will be joining you next year (or later) all about what to expect from our first week at Uni. What's it like moving in, Meeting new people? Does freshers week start the day you move in? What should we expect from freshers week? What are all the things we have to do in our first few days to get ready for uni? etc. This would be really helpful to all of us who don't know what to expect. (If you include which uni you're referring to it would be helpful).

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    generally Expect: lack of sleep, tears, Getting lost, 2nd years trying to take advantage of you, to be asked who you are where you come from what grades you got...

Exeter Spacific...To be taken to timepiece...and never return again!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    There really wasn't much on at Cardiff. You could move into halls the week before Freshers, and there was nothing organised at all for that week! Even in Freshers week itself, there was plenty on in the evenings but nothing much during the day. The societies and athletics fayres were on for a day or two, but there is only so long you can spend at them. I was expecting people running around in red t-shirts dragging us along on pub crawls and tours, which is what a friend who had started a week or two earlier at a different uni had.

Just expect there to be legions of people handing you flyers advertising stuff everywhere you go. And bring along several packets of biscuits to hand out to your new flatmates, nothing like making a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    There really wasn't much on at Cardiff. You could move into halls the week before Freshers, and there was nothing organised at all for that week! Even in Freshers week itself, there was plenty on in the evenings but nothing much during the day. The societies and athletics fayres were on for a day or two, but there is only so long you can spend at them. I was expecting people running around in red t-shirts dragging us along on pub crawls and tours, which is what a friend who had started a week or two earlier at a different uni had.

Just expect there to be legions of people handing you flyers advertising stuff everywhere you go. And bring along several packets of biscuits to hand out to your new flatmates, nothing like making a good impression.
    SOme places do freebies from local shops. At Hull they give you some basic provisions, bread, beans, some coke! For the first 500 or so people

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews has loads of stuff on, some organised by the Uni, some by the Students Association (Union), some by societies, some by your Hall. As well as giving you a chance to get to know people, this helps you to find your way around, meet your department, choose your extra modules/subjects and register.

Advice would be to get involved in as much as you want to, but don't feel pressured to go to everything (unless it's essential, uni admin stuff!) 'cause you'll only get knackered and so become more susceptible to the dreaded fresher's flu!
    Be brave and go up to other people in hall and talk to them. You can talk to everyone in fresher's week and not need to feel embarrased.
    Definitely be prepared to answer the dreaded questions - what's your name? where are you from? what are you studying? - maybe consider making a sign and wearing it around your neck - saves a lot of time!

ReputationRep:
    Expect to spend most of the time lost and hungover!

There were a lot of welcome meetings as well, one for the flats, a couple for the course, register for the doctors, sports fairs, societies fairs, advertisers fairs (lots of free stuff!)

Oh, and expect to be asked about a million times what course your doing, which halls your living in, and where you've come from!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, the good old "f**k a fresher"... No, seriously, jus try to meet as many people as you can in the first weeks, i.e. don't just go out with your flatates or the people on your course. Don't become too cliquey!

We did actually run around in red t-shirts doing campus tours, etc. for the first years this year. Although I had the joy of running around in a red tshirt at Heathrow and Gatwick Airports picking up international students (on a 14-hour working day, starting at 3.30 am!)

ReputationRep:
    good thread this

most of what has been said is what I would imagine, I just can't wait for Uni now(if only i can get the grades to get in!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    good thread this

most of what has been said is what I would imagine, I just can't wait for Uni now(if only i can get the grades to get in!)

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me about freshers week @ birmingham uni??

hmm freshers, sunday=posh meal, week= a different party every night with one massive one at the end, stuff during the day-registrations, bowling, lazar quest, ice skating, freshers fair+free stuff, films, meeting lots of politics people.

its just insane, do your best to meet as many people as possible, try and remember their names and *do not* lock yourself in your rooms.

its fun

ReputationRep:
    "Good Thread this "

Cheers. I just thought it was one of those things that you have ideas about but don't really know what to expect. Apparently (at Manchester uni at least) there's different moving in dates for each accommodation which I didn't know. What should we expect when we first move into our flat/hall? Anyone got any stories/general advice or info?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me about the first week at Durham or the LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Lots of people smiling nervously but not many people talking
    Feeling like you can't wait until your parents leave but when they go feeling very alone

Everyone always follows the advice of leaving their room door open but there are few who actually make the effort to go visiting and saying hello to all these people.

Always try to get accommadation with a shared kitchen/lounge or similar as everyone will quickly congregate in there (otherwise you'll have to use someones room which can get a little awkward).

I prefer taking pringles to biscuits (but then I just like pringles)

It's polite to wait until everyone in the flat is moved in before going out to explore (I know of a few people who moved in an hour or 2 after their flatmates and found themselves sat in on their own for the first night because everyone had left )

You hall usually has a little get together where they introduce the wardens and lecture you about damage/fire alarms etc etc for half an hour...these are DULL

Check out you student union website and http://www.unofficial-guides.com before leaving to get an idea of some student friendly pubs/clubs etc...don't rely on the student union as depending on the size of the uni etc it's often packed out all of the first week...much better to hit the town with your new friends than spend an hour queueing to get into the union followed by another hour trying to get to the bar - I always prefer the SU during the afternoons anyway (but that's just my personal preference).
    Normally a weird first night. In my experience.
    My first night as a fresher not everyone had moved in when we had to leave to go to a halls meeting I then managed to get lost in the dark and luckily bump into another gang of freshers who looked after me bless them. We spent ages drinking in one of their rooms and then i remember eating cornflakes at about 3am which is random becuase I would have preferred cookies, after that i barely saw them again. The people you meet in your first week you expect to be with for ever but rarely are.

My first week tons of campus tours with loads of helpful people in yello T-shirts, getting to know my flatmates, joining clubs and societies and getting freebies, buying everything you forget that you'll need like multi point adapters. As PQ said trying to get rid of your parents and then crying when they are gone, meeting people from your course, we had wine and crisp course socials in my first week which was great I met some of mybestmates from my course that night. Getting drunk, getting taken on pub crawls by 2nd and 3rd years whichwas cool too, union events are normally good in freshers too, do avoid the annual f*ck a fresher comp tho there are always some idiots who think that first year girls are easy (to be fair some are).

My first day as a postgrad was horrible I was the first English person in my flat which is no problem but the others had already been in a week and all buggered off so I was on my own on myfirst night thinking that Sheffield was crap drinking southern comfort moaning to my poor friend Dave on the phone. But loads of people moved in on the sunday and then we had a full flat by mid week thank goodness. Same things happened really loads of events, gettting to know everyone, going to the pub. Its all good!

ReputationRep:
    If you are not the first in your flat/house/whatever to arrive but the others aren't in, it's fun trying to guess what they are like from what they have put in the fridge. Ours was packed to the brim with beer and microwave burgers - two guys had been the first to move in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    "Good Thread this "

Cheers. I just thought it was one of those things that you have ideas about but don't really know what to expect. Apparently (at Manchester uni at least) there's different moving in dates for each accommodation which I didn't know. What should we expect when we first move into our flat/hall? Anyone got any stories/general advice or info?
    The dates, if they differ at all, are by a day or two. And most people don't move into their accommodation, regardless of when their lease started, until the Saturday and Sunday before the Fresher events begin.

Regards what it's like to meet all these new people... imagine the start of Big Brother. Except everyone has 15 times the IQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    The dates, if they differ at all, are by a day or two. And most people don't move into their accommodation, regardless of when their lease started, until the Saturday and Sunday before the Fresher events begin.

Regards what it's like to meet all these new people... imagine the start of Big Brother. Except everyone has 15 times the IQ.
    Yeh, and without the cameras and million pound house! Tednol - you're at Manchester - where did you stay in your first year? I'm looking at staying in Oak House - any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    EERRGHHHHH!
    Oak house? Any other choices?
    Why? What's wrong with it? It's self catering and cheap - I don't feel it's worth the extra £800 a year for an en-suite. I'm fine with a sink. Plus it's a big place with a good social life as far as I know. What have u got against it? Any other suggestions for good value self-catering? I want to e in Fallowfield as well becuase of the social aspect.

ReputationRep:
    i went to richmond park a few weeks ago cos my mate does dentistry up there

those halls were very nice

shame im not going to manchester even though i got an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    Why? What's wrong with it? It's self catering and cheap - I don't feel it's worth the extra £800 a year for an en-suite. I'm fine with a sink. Plus it's a big place with a good social life as far as I know. What have u got against it? Any other suggestions for good value self-catering? I want to e in Fallowfield as well becuase of the social aspect.
    Ok if thats the kind of stuff your after i would say Owens Park, i suppose Oak House is alryt, I just love my ensuite.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.